Mr.Beer Community
Header75

Blood Orange Beer?

I love blood oranges and would love to make a beer from them........has anyone tried this? Any advise?

Header75 wrote:

I love blood oranges and would love to make a beer from them........has anyone tried this? Any advise?

I've never done it, but I'd suggest starting with a wheat beer. Use the zest of the orange for the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. In case you're not familiar with the term, the zest is the orange outer part of the peel.

If you add juice at the beginning, the flavor will likely be gone, but if you wait and add it about a week into fermentation (so you need to boil it first and add it carefully) it may retain some of its flavor.

I'm working on that orange beer now. I've got a MB size batch I'm trying. Once I get it where I want, odds are I'll post it. But BP pretty much has the program listed here.

yankeedag wrote:

I'm working on that orange beer now. I've got a MB size batch I'm trying. Once I get it where I want, odds are I'll post it. But BP pretty much has the program listed here.

Please let us know the outcome.......thanx.

Great topic - I've been considering brewing something like this for a while now.

I wonder if anyone thinks the orange addition might work well with the MB Witty Monk Witbier, which is itself spiced with orange and corriander (or would that be too much of a good thing?). Also, how many oranges would be appropriate for a MB sized batch?

Hope you don't mind these questions in your thread, Header75!

Damehasajojajo wrote:

Great topic - I've been considering brewing something like this for a while now.

I wonder if anyone thinks the orange addition might work well with the MB Witty Monk Witbier, which is itself spiced with orange and corriander (or would that be too much of a good thing?). Also, how many oranges would be appropriate for a MB sized batch?

Hope you don't mind these questions in your thread, Header75!

Hell no!!! The more info the better.......I really want to make blood orange beer. How would the oranges be added to the beer.....in the fermenter as juice?

This last batch won't be bottled 'til 11/19/10...so I don't know if I've got it yet. But I've had "alright" results, just not THE results I've been looking for. But I've added Orange Zest to the boil, along with juice at the flame out. I've also soaked the zest in Vodka for when I've shortened the time I've the zest in the boil. (pointless endevour really). When I'm done, like I've said, I'll let y'all know how Mine went.

I made my orange witbier the same way BP posted. Added zest the last 5 min of boil (be carful not to get any rind from the orange when zesting) Added juice from 2 oranges a week into fermenting (plus a little more zest) and it came out AWESOME!

Silly question......what is Zest? Zesting? Coriander? So no actual juice is used?

That Orange you see in the picture, is orange zest.
041810mixedB004.jpg
Coriander are seeds you get. they impart a citrus taste. There from the salantra plant. (I think) and the little round things in the pic are the coriander seeds

I like this zester
041110zester001.jpg
Not fond of this zester.
041110zester002.jpg
Use the zester for the orange..
You'll need to crack the seeds (coriander) before adding to the boil.
Seems I need to take a picture of my "monkey Grinder" that I use for my grains and coriander. I'll update all that tomorrow.

There is a good recipe in extreme home brewing for a blood orange hef that I'm thinking of playing with for my next for draft brew