Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ztanner25

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Clone

I had a Sam Adams cherry wheat recently, and thought that it was a fantastic brew! I'm trying to clone it, and have a general recipe so far, but want some more advice as I am a relatively new brewer. Thankfully, Sam Adams does a pretty good job of describing the brew on their website.

For a 2.125 gallon batch:
3 lbs Wheat DME
1/2 ounce Hallertauer Hops boil for 60 min.
Safbrew dry wheat yeast

Add after 10 days:
15 ounce can of Dark Sweet Cherries in heavy syrup
1 cup honey

I am also considering either buying some more Hallertauer hops for aroma, or maybe using a little bit from the half ounce I already have and just boil it for 7 minutes, or maybe dry hop. For the yeast, since Sam Adams cherry wheat is more of an American wheat as opposed to a hefeweizen, would us-05 be a better choice? In addition to the listed ingredients I'm considering adding Cara Pills to help head retention but do not know how much I should add. Thoughts, opinions?

ztanner25 wrote:

I had a Sam Adams cherry wheat recently, and thought that it was a fantastic brew! I'm trying to clone it, and have a general recipe so far, but want some more advice as I am a relatively new brewer. Thankfully, Sam Adams does a pretty good job of describing the brew on their website.

For a 2.125 gallon batch:
3 lbs Wheat DME
1/2 ounce Hallertauer Hops boil for 60 min.
Safbrew dry wheat yeast

Add after 10 days:
15 ounce can of Dark Sweet Cherries in heavy syrup
1 cup honey

I am also considering either buying some more Hallertauer hops for aroma, or maybe using a little bit from the half ounce I already have and just boil it for 7 minutes, or maybe dry hop. For the yeast, since Sam Adams cherry wheat is more of an American wheat as opposed to a hefeweizen, would us-05 be a better choice? In addition to the listed ingredients I'm considering adding Cara Pills to help head retention but do not know how much I should add. Thoughts, opinions?

ztanner25 I'm a pretty big fan of the wheats and your recipe looks solid. Is the 3/4 pound of honey going to give you a dryer beer than you expect? I guess the only way to know for sure is to go ahead and brew it.

Let us know how this turns out I want to do a raspberry wheat and thought the flavor or aroma hops might compete with the raspberry flavor.

The reason I am choosing to add the honey is because in the description of the beer on Sam Adams website they mention adding honey. The flavor is not very prominent but still it is present. Would it be better to just use the honey to bottle carb? Or I could cut it to half a cup of honey.

That sounds good, I'm brand new to brewing too so hopefully you or others can answer this. Sunday I put a WWW in the fermenter, I want to brew a Cranberry Orange with a hint of honey. do I add the fresh Cranberries(Mashed) and orange zest (washed and cleaned in 2.5 ph water for sanitizing) to the MB keg while it is fermenting? and the bottle with honey? :side:

I also started a Cherry Wheat 5 days ago (am about ready to rack to the carboy for secondary fermentation). It is a 5 gallon recipe, but you could halve the ingredients so as to scale down to a Mr. Beer size batch. I decided against the canned or frozen fruit and went with the extract instead.

The kit I bought (Brewer's Best Witbier) came with only one 3.3lb can of Bavarian Wheat LME. I wanted a bigger beer so I got another can of the LME. You could probably leave out either the DME or grains altogether if you don't want one with this high of ABV. I also added another .25oz of the bittering hops to counter balance the extra malt.

6.6lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat LME
2lbs Wheat DME
1lb 2-Row Pale
1/2lb Flaked Oats
1/2lb Flaked Wheat
.5oz Bitter Orange Peel
.5oz Coriander seed
1.25oz Williamette hops - 60min boil
1oz Sterling hops - 10min boil
WB-06 Yeast
4oz Cherry Extract

OG - 1.074
Estimated ABV - 7.7% (1.015 FG)

ztanner25 wrote:

The reason I am choosing to add the honey is because in the description of the beer on Sam Adams website they mention adding honey. The flavor is not very prominent but still it is present. Would it be better to just use the honey to bottle carb? Or I could cut it to half a cup of honey.

Adding the honey for bottle carb gives a light colored, nice head with a dry finish, but adds no flavor in my opinion. If you want it in taste, it must be added shortly after primary fermentation. You can use it at bottling time as your sugar even though you used it for flavor earlier in fermentation. IMHO

He's adding the honey at 10 days. This seems late. What effect would this have on the wort at this stage, compared to adding it at 5 days?

I would wait til day 20-21 to bottle. Should be fine.

Just tried the first bottle this evening and was fairly disappointed. It tastes rather cidery an lacks the wheat flavor and body that I was hoping for. The cherry flavor is very pronounced in a good way. Do yall think this brew could get alot better with age, or is it just not a winner?

ztanner25 wrote:

Just tried the first bottle this evening and was fairly disappointed. It tastes rather cidery an lacks the wheat flavor and body that I was hoping for. The cherry flavor is very pronounced in a good way. Do yall think this brew could get alot better with age, or is it just not a winner?

regardless, I plan on keeping it around to taste every month that goes by. next time I will use less honey and cherries, and maybe steep some grains with it as well.

Just sounds like it should age a wee bit longer. If it's cidery, and the cherry flavor is in your face, I'd let it sit for 3 months. It might be alright in 2, but 3 will be much better. JMHO :stout: