Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

Small Wort Chiller

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a wort chiller and wanted to tap the community's collective wisdom regarding model options. My current procedure is to place my 3 quart brew pot (still only brewing MB-sized batches) in an ice bath in the sink, but I'm always worried about water spilling into the wort and contaminating it.

I've noticed that most models are for larger sized batches but saw herehere that a smaller version is also available. Does anyone use one of these for MB sized batches? If so, what do you use?

That's not a bad price and would probably work fine. I don't know if it will give you better results than an ice bath with a MB sized batch.

If it were me, I would save up and wait until you start doing larger boils (even if you boil the full wort for a MB sized batch) to buy a larger chiller. Since you're using a 3 quart pot, the ice bath is going to be very effective at cooling down such a small amount of wort. If you have a lid, put the lid on the pot and that will keep the unwanteds out. That will get it cooled down just as quick, if not quicker than a wort chiller. JMO.

If you do get the small wort chiller, let us know how it works. I haven't seen a mini-version before.

i agree with brew city, like the chiller, but i think it is a waste of money. i wait until the water is cooled to 170 before i add any malt, and that helps with the temps too. also, the ice bath is very effective, or what i do is put the top on, and put it in the fridge for 15 mins of so.

That little thing is sweet! I'd never seen anything like that. And as they say, it can be also used as a pre-chiller when you move up to bigger batches. If you brew in the summer most places, it would be very helpful.

For me any of those gadgets are too expensive right now. I'm still chilling my wort in a sink (or a snow bank in the winter) - even for 5-gallon batches. Charlie Papazian does the same thing. If he can do it and make good beer, I figure I'll do it too . . . until I get some spare cash, that is!

or what i do is put the top on, and put it in the fridge for 15 mins of so.

Yep, that works fine. If I have no fridge room, I just let it sit at room temp for a few hours. Then open it up and sprinkle the yeast/stir it up.

What's the rush?

I never realized you could put the lid on during the ice bath. Learn something new everyday. Why didn't I think of this before?