Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

Under-Carbed Christmas Ale

Hello Everyone,

Last night I cracked open a couple of brews that I intend to drink next month. The first was the MB Englishman's Nut-Brown Ale with Mellow Amber, which I fermented for two weeks and then bottled six weeks ago. Tasted great with good carbonation. I then tried the MB Christmas Ale, (brewed and bottled a week earlier than the Nut-Brown) which tasted promising, although I think it can use another several weeks to really come together.

The problem with the Christmas Ale was the carbonation, which was very low. Interestingly, I batch primed both recipes with honey, 70g for the Christmas Ale and only 52g for the Nut-Brown, but the Christmas Ale still came out under-carbed. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might have happened (aside from my just weighing the honey incorrectly)? Also, am I correct that nothing can be done at this point to help improve the carbonation?

Did you condition both sets in the same temp? AND...is that the only difference in what you did between the two groups?

Thanks for the quick reply, 'Dag. There were slight differences in temperature at bottling time (maybe 6-8 degrees between the two batches), which I thought I accounted for in my priming calculations. Both batches were cold crashed for 24 hours, but I used the temp in my basement and not the fridge to calculate honey amounts. Other than that, I simply followed the MB directions and primed using the same method. Even with the difference in ambient temperature at bottling, I would think that 70g of honey would be enough to achieve a decent level of carbonation, no? I'm wondering if I just goofed up the measurement...

Edit: but to answer your question directly, yes, they conditioned at the same temperature