Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TonyK

Boil Hops not Extract

Hello All,
I have a friend who is of the opinion that good beer can be produced from extract, if the hops rather than the malt extract are
boiled. He brews five gallon batches the following way. He brings one gallon of water to a boil than adds the flavoring hops, 20 minutes later he adds the aroma hops for the final ten minutes of the boil for a total of 30 minutes. He then takes pot off stove and adds liquid extract and DME, he stirs well. Then pours into fermenter. tops up with cold water to the five gallon mark. Checks temp, then pitches yeast. Then ferments and bottles in the usual manner. I would appreciate your input before I try this method. Thanks for your attention. Happy Thanksgiving, TonyK

Guest System Admin

I like to boil some DME first, then the hops. This gives the hops something to *grab* onto during the boil. IMHO

Hop boil times:
a bittering boil is 60~90 min
a flavoring boil is between 30~20 (some start at 40)
a aroma boil is less than 10 min.

Having never brewed with DME, I may be off base on this, but my understanding is that DME needs a boil to turn it into liquid form. It seems to me he's just pouring DME powder into the water and calling it good.

His method for LME is OK. It's just like using MB extracts. Boil the water then add the extract. However, if it's unhopped LME, I would prefer to boil the hops with the LME and give all the goodness something substantial to "stick" to.

truckndad wrote:

Having never brewed with DME, I may be off base on this, but my understanding is that DME needs a boil to turn it into liquid form. It seems to me he's just pouring DME powder into the water and calling it good.

I have started using a lot of DME in my batches. DME does indeed need to be boiled past the hot break. I have not just dumped it in to see what would happen, but I suspect it would not be a very good brew. IMHO

boiling LME is fine. You don't want to boil HME. Because you ruin the hops in the extract if you do that. Normally I pour half of my LME in at the beginning of the one hour boil. Then pour the other half in during the last 10 minutes.

TonyK wrote:

Hello All,
I have a friend who is of the opinion that good beer can be produced from extract, if the hops rather than the malt extract are
boiled. He brews five gallon batches the following way. He brings one gallon of water to a boil than adds the flavoring hops, 20 minutes later he adds the aroma hops for the final ten minutes of the boil for a total of 30 minutes. He then takes pot off stove and adds liquid extract and DME, he stirs well. Then pours into fermenter. tops up with cold water to the five gallon mark. Checks temp, then pitches yeast. Then ferments and bottles in the usual manner. I would appreciate your input before I try this method. Thanks for your attention. Happy Thanksgiving, TonyK

My understanding of this method is:

Boiling hops on their own runs the risk of grassy flavors depending on the hops you're using. The best hop isomerization happens when the liquid has a lower PH which is what the DME would provide.

I think the biggest reason to boil DME would be to make sure no bugs are getting into your brew alive.

My suggested modified method:

Keep the same method, but add enough of your DME to the water at the beginning to get the water to at least 1.010, but your won't hurt anything to add it all.

My 2 cents.

TonyK wrote:

Hello All,

Happy Thanksgiving to you too', TonyK

Do your friends brews clear well? I thought that if DME wasn't boiled past hot break the brew would be cloudy or possess a chill haze.

Technically, DME doesn't NEED to be boiled, but if it's taken past teh hot break, it will lead to a clearer beer.

On the idea of giving the hops something to cling to, I think Eric posted here once with some information on that. I don't remember the details, but it's not so much that it gives the hops something to cling to as that it changes the chemistry of the water and so that the alpha acids are released from the boil better. I'll see if I can find the info and post a link if I do.

If you do boil extract, there's no need to boil all of it. All you need is enough to change the makeup of the water.

Although I know the usual boil schedule is to boil for 60 minutes or more for bittering, I use a schedule similar to Tony's friend. At 30 minutes, you get about 50% efficiency on bitterness and taste, so I view it as a compromise that lets me finish faster (although I need to use more hops).

brain dead try #2:
I can't remember the exact reason for boiling the DME, but fuzzily I recall it having something to do with breaking down molecules in the DME. That's why it needs to be taken to a break. Otherwise, if I recall, it's more of a "sweetner" as not all of it will get use. I could be wrong here, as I am one pooped puppy.
I go with a 50 min bittering boil for the 90% rate...another 10 min for a 5% increase is just a non-starter for me.
I go with a 22 min flavor boil, afer that, you start boiling off the flavor.
I go for the 7 min boil for aroma. again, longer, you just boil it off.
LME... I only boil it if I'm adding hops. other wise, I add after flame out.
I don't boil HME. No point in it. if your gonna boil hme, use lme.