Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

Using Oatmeal

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning on brewing The Dubliner this weekend so that it will have plenty of time to come together for St. Patrick's day next March. The recipe calls for oatmeal, and I was wondering if it matters if I use "quick oats" or if I should use regular oatmeal. We have Quaker Quick Oats in the house and I will need to run out at buy the other variety if necessary.

Also, does anyone have any words of wisdom for this recipe (or style), in particular?

It is better to not use quick oats as they will dissolve quickly into a gooey mess. I use two cups of old-fashioned rolled oats in a hop sack and boil for ten minutes in a little (1/4 lb.) DME after it hits hot break. Those oats are going to soak up a lot of water/DME and expand. So tie the sack loosely and start with ~6+ cups of water for 2 cups of oats.

You can also squeeze the sack as good as you can in a sanitized bowl to get as much oat extract as possible with a spoon/other utensil, or gloved hands when it's cool enough. Then top the water level back up in the pot and boil it a bit longer to sanitize it.

If you add oats without a sack I think it's best to strain the wort going into the fermenter, but they would probably settle out. I just hate it when the spigot gets plugged. :(

Thanks, Guys!

Trubadour, I'll definitely take your advice on squeezing the hop sack - I wouldn't have thought to do that. I'll also head to the store to pickup some rolled oats.

Thanks again for your help!

Do not use "quick Oats" They leave behind a gelatin like substance( Glutin) and will ruin the Stout.Rolled Oats ,Plain Oats or even Irish Oats are excellent choices Good job on choosing the Dubliner for St. Patrick's Day.Last year a made it and it was awesome. I always make sure that I have plenty on hand for St. Patrick's Day.It's a winner.

I have read that your not suppose to squeeze the sack with the grains. I did a stout recently where I steeped some oats. I did not squeeze the sack and had so much trub that I racked to a secondary. The trub line was over the entrance to the spout.

Instead of squeezing the grains, I put them on a strainer over the wort to let them drain, and poured boiling water over the bag to "rinse" it. Saw it on youtube and seemed like a good idea.

Stinkyjunk wrote:

Instead of squeezing the grains, I put them on a strainer over the wort to let them drain, and poured boiling water over the bag to "rinse" it. Saw it on youtube and seemed like a good idea.

Flaked oats from LHBS would be good, but maybe they're no better than regular oatmeal, don't know. I used them once, and it was the one time I popped the fermenter lid, so I kind of stay away from it now. I want oatmeal stout, I hit the wicket.