Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Duffman!

Glass Bottles - Screw Caps

I have not used glass bottles yet, only plastic bottles. I want to use glass bottles, but is there a problem using bottles that had screw caps on them before hand?

For example, Bud, Yuengling, etc have the screw off caps, not pry off caps. If I use those bottles again, will the new cap seal be tight enough for homebrew bottle priming?

If anyone has experience using different bottles, pry off vs. screw off, please let me know. Sounds like there is a joke in there somewhere, but I tried to keep it professional. Insert your own joke as needed.

-Brian

I'll stay away from the jokes. Too dang tired and I'm sure they wouldn't make any sense now.

Twist off glass bottles won't seal as well. If you get a capper and caps and use pry off bottles, you can easily re-use them. Using a capper on a twistie bottle son't seal correctly and you'll lose too much CO2, also known as carbonation. :-) Don't want that too happen

not a good idea to reuse screw top bottles...reuse or purchase new no screw top bottles...pick up a bag of caps and a wing capper...

+1 on all of the above. Twist-offs belong in the recycle bin. Pry offs are the only way to go, unless your into flippies, which I'm not.

:party:

Exactly. I was surprised to find that on a recent bottle of Amarillo Wheat I had inadvertently bottled into a twist-off (darn Yazoo keeps me with some twist-offs in the house), and it turned out OK (good carb, etc.), but I wouldn't recommend it as a practice.

The best part about buying pry off bottles is that they come with free beer in them. Also, it gives you a chance to taste test different styles of beers and beer from different craft brewers. Win-Win situation!!

Just to echo what's already been said. Trash the screw offs and keep the pry offs. However if you were so absent minded (like myself) to bottle a few of your prized brews in some sneaky twist offs, you'll be happy to find out that they came out quite well. Not recommended but seems to get the job done.

Awesome replies all around. So I guess I need to say "screw off" to the screw offs. Got it.

Now I have to sift through my pile of amber bottles and get rid of the Killians screw offs. It's gonna suck, though, because I took off most of the labels. At least the Yuengling are green and easy to find.

I like the idea of trying as many craft brews as possible in order to build up enough pry off bottles. I just have to sneak them past my wife on the way to the garage fridge. Tough job, but I'm willing to accept the challenge.

-Brian

You can also just buy bottles but then you don't get the pleasure of emptying the free beer out of them.

I read on one of the forums that somebody was successfully reusing screwtops, but the way he was doing it was to save the original cap, then when he bottled, he very carefully lined up the threads and screwed it on. I'd think it would be very difficult to do this successfully, so I've never even tried, but at least one person has reported doing it successfully.

bpgreen wrote:

I read on one of the forums that somebody was successfully reusing screwtops, but the way he was doing it was to save the original cap, then when he bottled, he very carefully lined up the threads and screwed it on. I'd think it would be very difficult to do this successfully, so I've never even tried, but at least one person has reported doing it successfully.

Sounds like way too much work, and more time added to the bottling process. Just use the pry off bottles, since it's pretty straight forward.

Even better is to use swing-top bottles. No need to buy caps, just washers every once in awhile. There are a lot of great beers that come in amber colored swing-tops, or you can go with the green Grolsch bottles.

The twist offs also have a thinner neck and are much more likely to break when you try to recap them. Stick with the pry offs and flippies.

Duffman! wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

I find that corny kegs work rather well... :stout:

What are corny kegs?

5 gallon stainless steel kegs. No bottles.
You fill the keg with beer at what would be "bottling" time. Instead of priming the beer with more sugar, you charge the keg with CO2 and in a few days you have carbonated beer ready for a tap.
With an intial investment on equipment, a good way to go. Nothing wrong with carbing in the bottle at all though. This saves time and all that bottling hassle.
I still carb in the bottle. I'm a po' boy. :(

Duffman! wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

I find that corny kegs work rather well... :stout:

What are corny kegs?

corny_keg.jpg

Ah, corny kegs...got it. Um, people who really like bottles??? Not sure where to go with that one. So many jokes brewing in my head, not enough focus to pick one.

Seems like a big jump from priming/bottling to kegging, even with small corny kegs. Maybe someday down the road.