Based on a recipe by BeerFanFromBuffalo, I brewed this tonight:

1 can Mr. B Black Tower Porter
1# Dark DME
1 cup light brown sugar
1 oz coconut extract
1 muslin bag of an entire coconut, freshly shaved
0.5 oz Fuggles dry-hopped

Can't wait to try this!

Looks good n tastey. Let us know how it works out. B)

Sounds good. A coconut proter is third in line of my beers to brew. Maui Brewing Company makes a excellent Coconut Porter.
You have to select Coconut Porter from their list of beers, can't directly link to the Coconut beer.

Wow! Very interesting!
I love coconut so this might be something I'd like to try.
Please keep us posted on the progress and results.
Regards,
smooth

This is nearing the end of it's 3-week fermentation. The first week it had a head that I can only describe as creamy. It was like someone sprayed a can of shaving cream on the top of my wort. I can only assume that it was the coconut oils that did this.

thanks for the update, BugLaden! Please keep us posted on how this brew turns out. I would like to try brewing a coconut stout, and I just might base my recipe off your porter recipe.

Hey Bug...cant wait to hear how it tastes. I cracked one open last night (its been sitting for a few months) and it was AWESOME! Best bet is to set half your batch aside for a few months...its worth it!

Extract and fresh coconut were added immedidately after pitching the yeast and stirring. I want a coconut flavor in the background.

I totally wish I would have thought about adding some cocoa powder. Next batch I might try that, but I wanted to try this awesome recipe from Jay unmolested (for the most part, I did tweak it a little)

Jay, I'll keep it in the bottle for 6-8 weeks. After that, I might not be able to control myself! ;)

BugLaden wrote:

Extract and fresh coconut were added immedidately after pitching the yeast and stirring. I want a coconut flavor in the background.

I totally wish I would have thought about adding some cocoa powder. Next batch I might try that, but I wanted to try this awesome recipe from Jay unmolested (for the most part, I did tweak it a little)

Jay, I'll keep it in the bottle for 6-8 weeks. After that, I might not be able to control myself! ;)

:laugh: it is YOUR brew Bug...do as you wish...but at least put a few bottles away...you'll thank me ;)

Bottled this tonight after 3 weeks in the fermenter. First liquid out of the spout was into a shot glass for tasting. Holy crap, this is good! I hope this doesn't take longer than 4 weeks to condition!

ABV = 5.55%

I brewed a coconut porter late last winter and of the 6 batches I have under my belt it was by far the best. I toasted the coconut first and set it in a cheesecloth sac. Please keep posting, definitely want to know how it turns out so I can tweak my own.

Note: Don't use canned Cream of Coconut. I decided to experiment using it. It offered a slight, fake taste of coconut, but left lots of floating particles. It didn't taste too bad, but just slight hint of cocnut. I even racked to a secondary fermenter, cold crashed and racked again to batch prime.

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile: We have Beer.

I know this is a old post but do you think I could use 2 cans of Black Tower and 1 can of Mellow Amber UME and skip the brown sugar and hops? I live in Hawaii and fresh coconuts are a plenty. :cheer:

Wow!
This sounds like something I'm going to have to Brew & soon!
Thanks for posting your recipe.

Regards,
smooth

Since I'll be using 2 cans of Black Tower and 1 can of Mellow Amber UME I'm wondering if I need to up the coconut extract dose? Any suggestions and how much?

Nope, I would keep the shavings of 1 whole coconut, and 1 whole 2oz bottle of coconut extract.

BugLaden wrote:

Nope, I would keep the shavings of 1 whole coconut, and 1 whole 2oz bottle of coconut extract.

Thanks! Did you put the coconut shavings in a hop sack? I'm worried about clogging the spigot.
P.S. Your original post says 1 oz. Coconut extract and your last post says 2 oz. Which one?

I did keep the coconut in the hop sack.

I *think* the extract was two ounces - it was the small bottle you find in the baking section of your local grocery. Sorry for the confusion.

US-05. That's pretty much my go to yeast this winter, because of its lower range than S-04. My basement is pretty cold.

BugLaden wrote:

US-05. That's pretty much my go to yeast this winter, because of its lower range than S-04. My basement is pretty cold.

Convenient then that I bought some US-05 from the LHBS yesterday to make this beer!

I started this recipe yesterday and it already smells great! I'm a little concerned tho because after I poured the wort in and filled the rest of the keg to the 8.5 mark I stirred it as usual to mix it up and aerate it and it had all the foamy bubbles, then when I put the hop sack with the shaved coconut the bubbles disappeared. I couldn't get them back no matter how vigorous I stirred. I pitched the yeast anyway. I'm assuming it's because of the oils in the coconut. I hope it's ok.

It will be just fine!

Update: Tried my first tester at 6 weeks in the bottle. It's ready!

It has a wonderful fresh coconut aroma. The extract flavoring was almost non-existant. What I taste most of all is fresh coconut.

Y'all will not be sorry you brewed this.

BugLaden wrote:

It will be just fine!

It has a wonderful fresh coconut aroma. The extract flavoring was almost non-existant. What I taste most of all is fresh coconut.

That's awesome! I may have to move this brew up in the batting order!

I'm doing a cream stout with my collaboration partner,WretchedRon,for St. Patty's Day and this one may be next. Thanks for the post BL.

BugLaden wrote:

It will be just fine!

Glad it came out for ya dude....like I said before its one of my favs.

BugLaden wrote:

It will be just fine!

Congratulations on your beer and thanks for all your help BugLaden! I can't wait for mine to be done! :cheer:

And your right BugLaden, the Krausen is like shaving cream on top! Smells so good fermenting! :cheer:

I think I just figured on my next batch! Thanks for posting!

Plus - ya can get 2 recipes out of the 2 cans 0f Black Tower Porter!

:chug:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

I think I just figured on my next batch! Thanks for posting!

Plus - ya can get 2 recipes out of the 2 cans 0f Black Tower Porter!

:chug:

I went with the 2 cans and UME for a fuller body. :cheer:

BugLaden wrote:

I *think* the extract was two ounces - it was the small bottle you find in the baking section of your local grocery. Sorry for the confusion.

Was it one like this? 1oz bottle

0005210007073_180X180.jpg

mnstarzz13 wrote:

BugLaden wrote:

YUP! I used two of them. But the smell that's coming off the fermenter is from the real coconut shavings. :cheer:

BugLaden, this recipe looks so tasty. I HAVE to try this. In addition, to get the wife completely on-board with my new hobby, I need to do something fruity :)

So my question concerns the fresh, shaved coconut. I'm still a complete newb. Having read this forum for the past few weeks, I'm now completely paranoid of bacteria getting into the fermenter. How did you manage to shave the coconut and put it in the sack all the while keeping it sanitized?

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I would appreciate any tips.

Chad

Hey Chad, sorry for taking so long to respond. Been taking a break from the forums out of necessity.

The coconut meat is sealed inside the coconut, so no worries about bacteria there. Just sanitize your hop sack and your shredder, and you are good to go.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

BugLaden wrote:

Yup! That's what I used as well. It was 1oz after all. I think two bottles of that could go in without worry, because the fresh coconut completely drowned out the extract taste. However, I'm sure the extract lended to some of the aroma.

chadmaz wrote:

BugLaden, this recipe looks so tasty. I HAVE to try this. In addition, to get the wife completely on-board with my new hobby, I need to do something fruity :)

So my question concerns the fresh, shaved coconut. I'm still a complete newb. Having read this forum for the past few weeks, I'm now completely paranoid of bacteria getting into the fermenter. How did you manage to shave the coconut and put it in the sack all the while keeping it sanitized?

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I would appreciate any tips.

Chad

I used my Cuisinart to shred the coconut, just make sure it's clean and sanitized as well as the hop sack. I used 2 bottles of the extract to equal 2oz's. Smells so good fermenting. All I can smell is the fresh coconut not the extract. The Krausen was like shaving cream like BugLaden said his was. Going on two weeks fermenting and still have big bubbles on top. :cheer:

Thanks guys. You are making me so thirsty and wishing I hadn't just locked up my keg for two weeks with a wheat beer :) I'm going to take this on soon and will let you know what happens.

Chad

chadmaz wrote:

Thanks guys. You are making me so thirsty and wishing I hadn't just locked up my keg for two weeks with a wheat beer :) I'm going to take this on soon and will let you know what happens.

Chad

If you locked up your keg with another beer you know there is only one thing to do.....? Buy another keg! :cheer: That's what I did. You gotta keep the pipeline flowing and their only 10 bucks!

Hey BugLaden. Did you use the entire 11.5 grams of the US-05 yeast? Thanks in advance for your help!

I am gunna do my rendition of this fine recipe tomorrow but damn it, I forgot the hop sack for the coconut! Oops.

Can I put the coconut and Fuggles in same hop sack? I dont see why not but better check.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

I am gunna do my rendition of this fine recipe tomorrow but damn it, I forgot the hop sack for the coconut! Oops.

Can I put the coconut and Fuggles in same hop sack? I dont see why not but better check.

I would think it should be okay. Another option is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a paint strainer. They're made out of nylon so they can be reused, but they're also cheap enough that it doesn't hurt to throw them out. The bigger size bags are good for mashing/steeping and I think the smaller ones would work for hops (or coconut).

UPDATE: Ok, I just finished bottling the Coconut Porter, and I gave it a taste and well...IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! I can't believe how great it tasted, I really had trouble not drinking to much! If you guys love coconut and porters then you will love this beer! I did tweak it a bit from BugLadens recipe to make it even easier, I used 2 cans Black Tower Porter HME, and 1 can Mellow Amber UME, 2oz. coconut extract and the shreddings of one whole fresh coconut. That's it! Now the waiting, but I'm going to crack one open in a month! Give it a try! Only one question...would this work for a Stout? Hmmm... :cheer:

Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try a fruity beer but couldn't really decide which flavor to try first. I've never had a coconut beer, but this sounds delicious. Think I'll give it a go.

WolfMagus wrote:

Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try a fruity beer but couldn't really decide which flavor to try first. I've never had a coconut beer, but this sounds delicious. Think I'll give it a go.

Go for it! As long as you really love coconut (I do). If you love coconut cream pie and coconut ice cream Etc. then you'll love it, if not then your gonna have 2 gallons of beer you'll hate. :cheer:

Ikaika wrote:

UPDATE: Ok, I just finished bottling the Coconut Porter, and I gave it a taste and well...IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! I can't believe how great it tasted, I really had trouble not drinking to much! If you guys love coconut and porters then you will love this beer! I did tweak it a bit from BugLadens recipe to make it even easier, I used 2 cans Black Tower Porter HME, and 1 can Mellow Amber UME, 2oz. coconut extract and the shreddings of one whole fresh coconut. That's it! Now the waiting, but I'm going to crack one open in a month! Give it a try! Only one question...would this work for a Stout? Hmmm... :cheer:

I just got all the ingredients I need to try a coconut stout. It'll be one of my next 2 brews. I tried my first coconut stout last summer at the Church Brew Works in Pittsburgh, PA and LOVED it! I knew I had to try brewing my own. I'm basing it off this porter recipe.

craigger64 wrote:

Ikaika wrote:

I just got all the ingredients I need to try a coconut stout. It'll be one of my next 2 brews. I tried my first coconut stout last summer at the Church Brew Works in Pittsburgh, PA and LOVED it! I knew I had to try brewing my own. I'm basing it off this porter recipe.

Awesome! I have 2 cans of St. Patty's and a Creamy Brown UME, but I can't decide if I should use both cans plus the UME or just 1 can of the HME plus the UME. Any thoughts?

Well I did 1 HME ad 1# DME and thought it would be too malty so I added a 30min hop boil. So if your conserned with it being to malty and dont plan on boiling than an extra HME would do the trick.

After further review, that st patty's stuff is a bit more bitter than the porter. 1 can HME would put it just on the Hoppy side of being balanced. 2 cans would increase that more so what ever your taste. I have yet to try the stout

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Well I did 1 HME ad 1# DME and thought it would be too malty so I added a 30min hop boil. So if your conserned with it being to malty and dont plan on boiling than an extra HME would do the trick.

After further review, that st patty's stuff is a bit more bitter than the porter. 1 can HME would put it just on the Hoppy side of being balanced. 2 cans would increase that more so what ever your taste. I have yet to try the stout

That's what I was thinking when I was tasting it during bottling, that if it was done with a Stout that the Hops and coconut might clash. That's why it's great for a porter, the coconut is up front and not fighting to be noticed. You know what I mean?

copied the recipe...never knew that coco's could be used w/ brew...and I love coconut...think I will wait until I see a real one at the grocery store...t

Awesome, I love the maui coconut porter so I will want to give this a try. What type of coconut did you use? The green ones or the brown ones? I've never tried to open one up either, what is the best way? I know I'm splitting hairs here, but gotta make sure I get it right.

jemerick wrote:

Awesome, I love the maui coconut porter so I will want to give this a try. What type of coconut did you use? The green ones or the brown ones? I've never tried to open one up either, what is the best way? I know I'm splitting hairs here, but gotta make sure I get it right.

You don't want a green coconut because the meat will be jello like and you don't want that. You don't want a dark brown one because it'll be old. I'm talking about the outside husk color. It should be a yellowish tan color. Now if you see "husked" coconuts in your supermarket then just give it a shake, you should hear the water. Inspect it to make sure there's no fungus around the "eyes", if there is that means the coconut has a crack in it and is now compromised. Also you can open a coconut only to find it has gone rancid, very bad smell. Now once you get it home just stand over the sink and I use the back of a heavy Chinese cleaver and give it a few wacks. Then it will crack in half and the water spills out. If you do it over a pot then you can catch the water but make sure there are no shell shards in there before you drink it. The water is very good for you. They used to give it to soldiers on the battlefield in an IV.

jemerick wrote:

Here is what I followed. Worked exactly as stated.

UPDATE: My Coconut Porter. YUMMY!!! Do your yourself a favor and make this beer!!! :cheer:
edfdbb44.jpg

b25dfece.jpg

mnstarzz13 wrote:

How long did you wait before crakin one? Mine has been in the bottle for only 3 weeks. :(

I waited over a month.

Ok, I'll shoot for 5 and split the difference :P Everyone I have told that I made a coconut porter gave me a wierd look and said something to the affect of "Coconut in beer???" Hope to show 'em beer doesnt all need to be the same old beer to be good!

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Ok, I'll shoot for 5 and split the difference :P Everyone I have told that I made a coconut porter gave me a wierd look and said something to the affect of "Coconut in beer???" Hope to show 'em beer doesnt all need to be the same old beer to be good!

Me too. Matter of fact no one wants to try it. Oh well, more for me. :cheer:

I went ahead and brewed this recipe this weekend. Only thing I did different was I forgot the brown sugar and I steeped some chocolate malt with it. Can't remember which, but I did a taste test after a few days and it's well on its way to being my favorite brew yet. Not sure how I'm going to last the next 2 months...

Hippiemusic wrote:

Thats it. After reading this entire thread this one is going in after my IPA is done.

You won't be disappointed. :cheer:

After following this thread for awhile I decided to give it a try. I used 2 cans black tower porter hme, 1 can creamy brown ume, 1/4 cup light brown sugar , meat from one whole coconut, us-05 yeast.
I'm a bit concerned though... I never saw any foam form and after tasting it a 2 weeks in the fermenter it was very thick still. Will the body thin during conditioning? It did have a very nice coconut flavor.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite Futile: we have BEER.

Don't know. I haven't made it...yet... one who has should pipe in here..

jmp103086 wrote:

After following this thread for awhile I decided to give it a try. I used 2 cans black tower porter hme, 1 can creamy brown ume, 1/4 cup light brown sugar , meat from one whole coconut, us-05 yeast.
I'm a bit concerned though... I never saw any foam form and after tasting it a 2 weeks in the fermenter it was very thick still. Will the body thin during conditioning? It did have a very nice coconut flavor.

just a thought, you might want that one to go at least 3 weeks in the fermenter.

jmp103086 wrote:

Hmm...Mine foamed like shaving cream for 6-7 days. And I used only 2 fromunda yeast packets. I fermented for 3 weeks. Don't know why yours didn't or why yours is thick. What are your temps?

Based on the ingredients, I would let it sit 3 weeks in the fermenter. Your description sounds spot on - this is a thick batch. You won't be disappointed.

I Def plan on letting it sit in the fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks. I pitched the yeast at 70degrees and then moved the keg to the colder room in my basement. Air temp was 64 in there. Then after 2 days moved to another room, air temp 66-68 degrees.

Well, Cracked my 2nd one today and for the 2nd time....flat. Wah Wah....big bummer! Used about 0.4 tsp for approx 2.0 CO2 in a 12 oz bottle and could barely see any carb in solution and couldnt taste any carb. disappointing :(

Do you see *any* bubbles coming out of solution? Or is it just not a thick enough head for your tastes? Porters aren't supposed to be overly carbed, if fact 2.0 sounds about just right.

I seen a few bubbles on the side of the glass in thee beer but no head and no sense of carb when drinking...flat. I posted a new thread about the issue and think I may try addin a 1/2 tsp to one bottle and see what it does in a week. Hopefully the yeasties are still around for some O.T.

Well its been a week since I bottled and I couldn't resist the temptation to crack one open. This is def one great tasting brew. I dont think I will be able to let these condition any longer.

I want to try this.
Bug does the 1# dark DME stand for 1 pound dark dry malt extract? If so where did you get it, from your local supplier? I don't see it on MB site.
Also it looks like you didn't use the yeast that comes with the MB porter, why?
You also stated in a previous post you might add BOOSTER, i guess you didn't?

Thanks Ed

Ed,

DME is dried malt extract you can get from your local brew store. I didn't use a Mr. B can for this recipe, however I think 2 cans of Mr.B Porter would be an excellent subsitute. Just add the coconut from this recipe and you are done.

Because I didn't use the Mr. B stuff, I bought a yeast at the brew store as well.

Hope this answers your questions!
Ed

It does, thanks. I'll post how it comes out. Should make it in a week or so.

Thanks for the help.

Finally made this. Got it bottled this morning. looking forward to tasting this in 3-4 weeks.
I hate the wait.

Thanks Ed

Woa I had forgotten about Coconut Porter. :blush: I'll try and brew one coming up.
Sounds too good to miss.