Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BadHorsie

What would you do with the following ingridients.

I have at my disposal 3 bags of Briess extra light DME. 1/2 a bag of sweet orange peel. Amarillo, cascade, Warrior, Glacier, Centennial, Willamette and Us Goldings Hops. This batch will have no MRBeer products in it. Any Suggestions?

Too bad you don't have some fuggles... you could make a nice Nong Irish Red. But the sweet orange peel, cascade seem interesting. got any coriander?

I think I'd save the orange and coriander for a wheat beer.

What kind of yeast do you have and what will your fermentation temperatures be?

If I had those ingredients, I'd probably go with all the DME and the Cascade hops. I'd also consider the Amarillo and the Centennial. Really, depending on what you want, any of those would work, but those would be MY first choices.

If you've got Safale US-05 or Danstar Nottingham and can keep temperatures below 65 (or even lower, down to 59 for the Us-05 or 57 for the Nottingham) I'd brew as close to the low end of the range as possible.

But I'm describing what I like. What kind of beer do you like?

I have US-05 and S-04. I like ales. Not a big hop head. I am more of a balanced and malty beer lover.

This is actually pretty close to my Straw Boater recipe. Alas, it hasn't finished conditioning yet, so I can't tell you if it turned out well.

But I second yankeedag's suggestions. I think the malt bill will go well with the orange and coriander, and it's just a matter of determining how hoppy you want it, and what characteristics. I think Centennial would go well with it, if you want a stronger hop presence, but that's just me.

I could see going with a strongly hopped beer (although if you make it very bitter, you might want to nix the orange) or a more mellow beer, light in appearance and flavor, with an undertone of orange.

Should be good, in any case.