Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
raven91

A cheaper (in price) all malt

So heres a nifty idea that I thought up if you live in a state where there is a Shopko:
As some of you know Shopko ( and plenty other retailers i'm sure) sells the 3 pack of mix refills for the regular price of $29.99.
Well In the middle of December (December 19th I believe but don't quote me on it) those refills (American series and International series packs) go on sale for half off $14.99.
So you could buy two of the 3 packs of mixes for just over $30.
Thats 3 all malt recipes. Not bad considering Each premium refill is 19.95$ from the website.

I'm sure it will be the same at other retailers as well. :cheers:

Bed Bath and Beyond puts the 3-packs on sale for $15 right after Christmas, I think. And they send out lots of 20% off coupons, so you can get a refill for $12 (but the 20% off is only on 1 item). I bout 5 of them last year and use a standard refill as the starting point of most of my batches.

The problem where I live, is that Bed Bath and Beyond always runs out of refills before Christmas. In fact, I bought a 3-pack last weekend and it was the last one in stock at the time.

I didn't know Shopko has refills, I might try to score some there.

bpgreen wrote:

Bed Bath and Beyond puts the 3-packs on sale for $15 right after Christmas, I think. And they send out lots of 20% off coupons, so you can get a refill for $12 (but the 20% off is only on 1 item). I bout 5 of them last year and use a standard refill as the starting point of most of my batches.

I'm surprised they are allowed to sell Mr. Beer products in Utah to tell you the truth. But words of wisdom..... they still accept past due coupons. We use them all the time and they take them. Mainly becuase they send us a coupon every week it seems and some expire. But they are very willing to accept them.

Shopko hardly ever runs out of them. At least in utah anyways. Could just be the state. Has anyone ever been id for refills? Some places id for the kit but not the refills.

They can ID for anything they want to. I have been IDd for buying creatine at Walmart. And they can refuse service to anybody for any reason.

D Rabbit wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

I'm surprised they are allowed to sell Mr. Beer products in Utah to tell you the truth. But words of wisdom..... they still accept past due coupons. We use them all the time and they take them. Mainly becuase they send us a coupon every week it seems and some expire. But they are very willing to accept them.

It only became legal to home brew in Utah last year (I think around May). Before that, it was legal to buy and sell beer making equipment. It just wasn't legal to use it (I wonder what everybody who was buying it did with it, maybe baked desserts). What's kind of humorous to me is that malt extract is considered a food item, so it's taxed at a lower rate (although the LHBS I usually go to only uses one rate for everything).

I could make a grand political statement here, however, I shant. I shall sit here quietly, sipping my double IPA and just say "Humma!"

bpgreen wrote:

It only became legal to home brew in Utah last year (I think around May). Before that, it was legal to buy and sell beer making equipment. It just wasn't legal to use it (I wonder what everybody who was buying it did with it, maybe baked desserts). What's kind of humorous to me is that malt extract is considered a food item, so it's taxed at a lower rate (although the LHBS I usually go to only uses one rate for everything).

Stupid vague, conflicting laws...here in Michigan the past few years it has been illegal to use or hunt over bait for deer. BUT it is not illegal to sell bait, even if you call it deer bait. It's hilarious...all over the state, every gas station and road side stand has it for sale. You can even buy it legally. But get busted using it and WHAM-O!...kiss your gun or bow goodbye, forget about getting a license for awhile and empty your wallet out. A guy I know got hit for over $900. Crazy.

Another thread derailed. :blush:
Back to topic (sort of)...someone posted earlier this year a picture of an old can of malt he got somewhere. There was a good story behind it too. I think it was Blue Ribbon Malt, and it was marketed for "baking" back during prohibition.

It was TJTHEBEST...
Here it is!
Good thread!

Using this method, you would be making an all malt brew with 2 HME's and no booster. Does a 2 HME only brew turn out OK?

Blatzman wrote:

Using this method, you would be making an all malt brew with 2 HME's and no booster. Does a 2 HME only brew turn out OK?

That's basically what the Premium refills are, so it should

I found my first brew kit a year ago at Target after Christmas. I bought the premium kit for $8.95. I'm definitely going to look again this year.

yankeedag wrote:

buzz kill Zobl

Never meant to wear that name tag! :lol:

Just seems like I've been derailing a lot of threads around here lately! :P

I'm easily amused. B)

Mr.Krinkle151 wrote:

Blatzman wrote:

That's basically what the Premium refills are, so it should

Well, yes and no. The premium refills have two HMEs, but take a look at the IBUs on a premium HME and on a Standard HME. The standard HMEs are usually right around 20 and the premium refills are usually around 10. So if you use two HMEs from a standard refill, you'll have a much hoppier beer.

If you like hoppy beers, you'll probably be happy with that approach, but if you like malty or balanced beers, it might be too bitter for you.

If you don't want it that bitter, you could offset the bitterness with a can of UME (or a pound of DME or a little more than a pound of LME from the LHBS).

I'm not much of a hop head, so if I started with two standard Mr Beer HMEs, I'd probably add 1.5-2 lbs of LME or I'd keep one of the Boosters and add a pound of LME. That would put me at about 6.5% ABV, with 1.5% coming from the booster. And the BU:GU ratio would put me right in the balanced range where I like to be.

I buy the refills and use them as a base, and doctor them with additional malt and hops. I use Qbrew to get a handle on the expected IBUs and OG.