Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

I "Feared the Foam"

Hello Everyone,

Today I bottled a batch of Bewitched Red Ale with Mellow Amber and used Star San for the first time. I've read the warnings in other posts not to "fear the foam", but was pretty surprised by the amount of foam the product actually produced. I bottle with 12oz long necks and noticed that after I sanitized each of the bottles, there was a solid 3-4 inches of foam left behind after I emptied the sanitizer. I had some extra One Step laying around, and so used it to re-rinse each bottle (didn't want to use tap), which left a little bit of lacing, but not nearly the amount of solid foam that the Star San left.

Do I understand correctly that I could have just left the foam in the bottles and filled as usual? It seems at the very least that the wort would push out most of the foam, and I know I've read in other posts that whatever is left behind has no effect on the taste or quality of the final product. Those of you who use SS regularly, do you bottle with your bottles half-full of foam, or do you rinse?

Hey Dame. Don't worry, I fear the foam too lol. Actually, its not that I fear it, I just don't like it. I think you'll find most people that use SS leave the foam. I've have also heard that the foam acts as a yeast energizer(?).

I don't know about it working as yeast engergizer but I can say that I've bottled with it and seen no adverse effects. I do swirl it around and pour it out carefully to minimize the foam, but whatever is left, is left.

If you're going to rinse out the StarSan with OneStep, there's not much point in using StarSan. Just use OneStep.

I sanitize with StarSan. There's foam in the bottle. I fill the bottle and the foam goes out. I cap the bottle and wipe the foam from the outside of the bottle.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Rinsing with One Step was not originally part of the plan, just an extra step to ease my mind. Next time I won't re-rinse, and will invert the bottles more gently to cut down on the foam produced.

Thanks again to all!

Guest System Admin

Kealia wrote:

I don't know about it working as yeast engergizer but I can say that I've bottled with it and seen no adverse effects. I do swirl it around and pour it out carefully to minimize the foam, but whatever is left, is left.

+1 to all the positive comments. I do believe that SS is the best sanitizer out there.

DONT' FEAR THE FOAM!

It won't hurt the finished product at all.

If professional brewers can use it, so can we!

G

Luckily I have a bottle tree and just let the foam drip out over night and use my bottles the next day. You could place them up side down and let the foam drip out on to some paper towel.