Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ztanner25

New Stout Recipe - Guiness Clone

I had mixed feelings about this brew as I was figuring out the recipe. Part of me wanted to just do a Guiness clone and my creative side wanted to shape it how I like. So this is what I ended up with, please comment with your thoughts about it.

3 lbs. Dark DME
.25 lbs chocolate malt
.25 lbs roasted barley
.25 lbs carapils
all of these grains were steeped for 30 minutes prior to the boil
3/4 cup brown sugar
.5 oz. Fuggles (60 min.)
.25 oz. Fuggles (22 min.)
1 cup whole coffee beans (dry-hopped)

Before pitching the Nottingham yeast I took out a cup of the wort and I'm allowing it to go sour over a week's time. Then I will boil it and return it to the fermenter one week into fermentation.

g3brewing wrote:

why do you let the one cup of wort sour? ive never heard of this

I believe one of the unique styles of Guiness and what they do over in Ireland when brewing their stout is they allow some of their wort to spoil. They then add it back to the original wort at a later date. So in order for this to be a clone my guess is ztanner is giving this a go.

Let us know how this turns out sounds tasty!

g3brewing wrote:

I have read from other people's Guiness clones that this is a method that Guiness uses to give it a little twang.

Brew looks great so far, nice, thick krausen.

g3brewing wrote:

Its what gives Guiness that "sour" taste after the swallow.

Let us know how that turns out. I'm really interested.

I suppose it's time - if it's not too late already - to start the St Patty's day beer.

I've just been trying to get my pipeline going . . but I have to start planning a season ahead -- St Patrick's beer at Christmas time, Summer brews at St Patrick's Day, Pumpkin/Fall beers during the summer, and Christmas beer before Halloween.

I'm learning . . .

Oooh! I'm a Beer Wrangler now!

Hey - what's the best St Patty's/Irish stout recipe with straight MB ingredients/methods? (HME, UME, packets of hops pellets . .. nothing grainy or yeasty or anything that takes any special skill besides the straight Mr Beer method)?

If you go with the strait MB SP Irish Stout, it's quite simple to make.. as simple as any of the other brews they have. 1 can Irish stout, 1 can creamy brow UME, and I toss in a cup of golden brown sugar.

so I was surprised to find a nice thick layer of krausen on the cup of wort that I left out in the open air. This is wort with no added yeast, only whatever is already in the air. I found this to be very interesting, that it reacted that quickly to the naturally found yeast in the air.

JustEd wrote:

g3brewing wrote:

Its what gives Guiness that "sour" taste after the swallow.

Let us know how that turns out. I'm really interested.

I'm really into dark beers but for some reason Guiness never really did it for me.... .maybe this is why.

ztanner25 wrote:

so I was surprised to find a nice thick layer of krausen on the cup of wort that I left out in the open air. This is wort with no added yeast, only whatever is already in the air. I found this to be very interesting, that it reacted that quickly to the naturally found yeast in the air.

That is definitely interesting.

for a Mr. B stout: I made a stout last year w Mr.B st.patty's and creamy brown. I also cooked 2 cups of quaker oats in several cups of water to which I added the booster. I put in 1/2 of the packet of northern brewer hops that Mr. B sells and boiled for 1/2 hour. then the cans, ferment for 2-3 weeks, bottle and carb for 2-3 weeks and in the refer for 1 week. This beer was awsome.

captainwalt wrote:

for a Mr. B stout: I made a stout last year w Mr.B st.patty's and creamy brown. I also cooked 2 cups of quaker oats in several cups of water to which I added the booster. I put in 1/2 of the packet of northern brewer hops that Mr. B sells and boiled for 1/2 hour. then the cans, ferment for 2-3 weeks, bottle and carb for 2-3 weeks and in the refer for 1 week. This beer was awsome.

Did you leave the oats in or just drain off the water and use it?

ztanner25 wrote:

g3brewing wrote:

I have read from other people's Guiness clones that this is a method that Guiness uses to give it a little twang.

Brew looks great so far, nice, thick krausen.

An alternate method (which I used) was to take some Guinness and let it sour, and then add it at flameout. The stout turned out quite tasty...

Guest System Admin

I wouldn't dry hop the coffee myself. I would "cold brew" it, and then add it to secondary. That way you get the coffee flavor, and not the bitterness, or the sediment of the beans,

JMO

Stinkyjunk wrote:

ztanner25 wrote:

That is definitely interesting.

Indeed.

Sham Addams wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

We've got yeast here also (Texas), but it sucks.

:pinch:

:huh:

Sham Addams wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

and it's ugly too! :blink:

yankeedag wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

and it's ugly too! :blink:

Cool hats though!
cowboysmilie.jpg

It ended up being a no-go on the soured wort addition. While I was boiling it to sanitize before adding to the fermenter, almost all the water evaporated out and I was essentially left with soured, burnt LME.

And in regard to the post about the coffee beans: I decided to go with the "dry-hopped" whole beans because I am primarily trying to capture the aroma of coffee. Also, without actually brewing it there shouldn't be much added bitterness if any at all.

This thread is quite helpful when adding coffee to a brew.

I'm bottling it on Christmas, can't wait to try it in 2011! I've got a cherry wheat conditioning right now for New Years Eve!

I just opened the second bottle from this batch tonight and let me tell you...it is phenomenal!!!! it is so much better than the first bottle that i tasted almost 2 months ago. i wouldn't call it a guinness clone, but it is one heck of a coffee stout. i am pretty proud of myself on this one, i'd say my best brew yet.