Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mindcrime30

Cheap recipe

What are some alternatives to the Mr. Beer refills that are more cost efficient? If you buy a standard refill from MB you are looking at over 20 bucks with shipping for a beer which is mediocre at best.

Anyone have suggestions for cheaper alternatives? Possibly anothe company who has cheaper prices, or local stores thet would sell the Mr Beer refills cheaper. I live in Albany NY and I cant find a CVS ir Right Aid near me who stocks them

Do you have any Bed,Bath,and Beyonds out there? Amazon.com or Wal-mart.com with the site to store shipping is good. I picked up an international three pack for 23 dollars with a coupon at BBB. Three HME's and three boosters. You'll get a lot of answers on here!

Brewing all-grain is pretty cheap, and you can make your own equipment pretty cheap. It just takes a lot more time, but is probably the cheapest way to make the better batches IMO. (After the equipment is paid for).

I have made some pretty good beers with Mr. Beer extract, but I add a lot of different ingredients, such as DME, steeping grains, hops, sugar, etc. The Mr. Beer brew club is pretty reasonable also. Look for a LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) near you. You can buy LME and other ingredients there.

mxstar21 wrote:

Brewing all-grain is pretty cheap, and you can make your own equipment pretty cheap. It just takes a lot more time, but is probably the cheapest way to make the better batches IMO. (After the equipment is paid for).

I have made some pretty good beers with Mr. Beer extract, but I add a lot of different ingredients, such as DME, steeping grains, hops, sugar, etc. The Mr. Beer brew club is pretty reasonable also. Look for a LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) near you. You can buy LME and other ingredients there.

Agreed, you have to doctor up some items, just depends on what you want to brew. Look at your local LHBS, i grew up near albany and they must have a couple of good stores to take a look at B) And I have a ton of recipes using different products if you would like them, just let me know

Amazon.com often has refills with a 4 for 3 deal to make them less expensive.

If you want to do a bit more work than the "pure" Mr Beer approach, you can add LME or DME or even make a beer from scratch using LME or DME and hops.

I picked up 4 premium refills on Amazon for $14.25 each using the 4 for 3 offer and free shipping. That's a great deal.

Without going all grain, you should look into using DME and steeping grains and hopping it yourself. Depending on the recipe the price can be under $20.

I disagree with the "mediocre at best" comment. These extract kits have the potential of making awesome beer, better or as good as any commercial craft beer.

Sounds like you might have brewed one or more batches that didn't come out right, and you are blaming the quality of the product. Continue working with the Mr. B kits and you'll hit your "WOW" moment after tasting the first beer of the batch.

First, I have to agree whole heartedly with Bug.

Check your LHBS. Because I've never tried one, while I was at my LHBS I picked up a Coopers Mexican Cervaza. Yeast is included under the cap like a MB refill. Big enough to use two kegs. Cost 22 bucks after tax.

I pick up kits at the LHBS, but some of them are spendy too. Have you joined the Brew Club Yet? Buy over $30 (if I remember right) and shipping is only $5. Get 2 kits from MrB, and shipping, and cost is ~18 per kit. You can do cheaper kits, but they lack in flavor without adding more ingredients. In the long run, u spend more than just getting a good kit the first time round.

Guest System Admin

If you can't buy MB products locally, you can get a 3 Pack MB refill @ Amazon.com for under $30 and the shipping is free.

If you have a LHBS around, Briess LME is about $10 for 3.3 Lb container, 1 Lb per batch ought to do nicely.

So you take a MB HME, add 1 Lb of LME + booster and you have a nifty beer IMHO.

Just my two beers worth...

BugLaden wrote:

I disagree with the "mediocre at best" comment. These extract kits have the potential of making awesome beer, better or as good as any commercial craft beer.

Sounds like you might have brewed one or more batches that didn't come out right, and you are blaming the quality of the product. Continue working with the Mr. B kits and you'll hit your "WOW" moment after tasting the first beer of the batch.

So you would consider the starter pack with one can of HME and booster to be above average?

I've also recently purchased the international pack at Sears. It's a great deal!

Generally I try to support my LHBS, but the best per gallon value I've ever gotten is here:

Complete Coopers kits on Amazon

Throw in Super Saver shipping, and I'd be hard pressed to find a better deal outside of going all grain. Of course, you would need 2 Mr Beer fermentors or a 5 gallon bucket. I've made the Dark Ale and found it to be a nice easy drinking beer.

I find it is easier to go to sears or bed bath and beyond. Last year I picked up 3 refills from sears after the holidays were over. I only paid 20 bucks for each of them. Only drawback is the refills were all the same.

Mindcrime30 wrote:

So you would consider the starter pack with one can of HME and booster to be above average?

No, it would be a thin beer. But add a UME to that mix and you have a definite winner.

Wait till Mr Beer has a sale(or emails you a coupon), buy in bulk. The shipping is the same whether you order 1 refill or 10. Also, plenty of 5 gal kits out there you can split between 2 fermentors. 1 of those, a couple lbs DME, a packet of yeast, and some hops will get you 2 batches for under 30 bucks.

"Good beer isn't cheap and cheap beer isn't good".

Look for the deals like everyone else said; Amazon, Bed & Bath, World Market. Both B&B and WM offer coupons, usually around this time of year that drops the price down to a reasonable level. Look for the after Christmas sales.

The LHBS can provide additional ingredients to make the "golden nectar of love" you're looking for.