Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

Boiling Extract

Hello Everyone,

As I've been doing more reading on this forum and other sources, the following question has planted itself in my brain:

Would there be any taste/quality benefit to boiling a large amount of water (maybe a gallon or so), turning off the heat, stirring in the MB extracts (in a MB recipe that did not call for any other additions), and then resuming the boil for an hour or so?

My wife recently bought me a copy of the Papazian & Palmer books for my birthday (she a good woman!), and I noticed that Papazian recommends boiling the extract for at least 45 minutes. Does anyone here do this with MB extracts?

Damehasajojajo wrote:

I noticed that Papazian recommends boiling the extract for at least 45 minutes. Does anyone here do this with MB extracts?

I don't boil the MB extracts. I would if I were to include additional bittering/flavoring hops, but then only the UME - not the HME.

I did recently boil some liquid extract purchased from bulk, but probably didn't really need to.

I know of no benefit to boiling the MB extract, barring hop additions, but perhaps someone else has some information on that.

You really shouldn't boil the HME, because it is already hopped. If you boil it, you will change the profile of the extract, and could potentially end up with something that may not taste very good.

What you are referring to, is LME, or DME which is boiled and uses timed hop additions. The MB HME is a no boil extract. Mr Beer is all about simplicity.

Boiling the HME isn't a good idea. The hop profile has already been set by the time they boil and made the extract.

With the UME you can boil that and add hops to it if you like, but outside of that the only thing you'll likely get by boiling the UME (without hops) is a darker brew.