Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mutsy

Newbies Christmas

Ok, how many of you are just sitting and reading stuff on here and got a MB kit for Christmas? Speak up the floor is open and so are all the experts on here. Now one will ever look down on you here, no one will ever think that was a dumb question. We are all very open and very helpful. We all learn and it's lots of fun to share and get better at this together.

So.... those of you who were affraid to ask a question about your first batch please ask away here's your chance. It doesn't matter if your question is "when mashing grainss in an AG batch what is the best way to set up an auto sparge for maximum efficiency?" or if your question is as simple as... "what is a hop sack and how do you use it?"

Pipe up, and become a part of the network of friends here and ask anything you want. Say anything you want to about beer, brewing or otherwise or just give us some cool tips too.

Merry Christmas and cheers

Merry Christmas Mutsy. How's the weather down there?

Ok, here's a question. I've never brewed before, my girlfriend got me a kit for christmas. Just got done reading all of the books that came with the kit and have a slight concern about the bottling process. It mentions something about yeast(I think) settling in the bottom of the bottles and that it may cloud the beer if disturbed. If I bottle a case of beer with the intent of just drinking it from the bottle, am I going to need to worry about stirring this stuff up or having it change the taste of my beer? There won't be particles or anything floating in the beer that I'll be able to taste/feel while drinking will there? Thanks! Can't wait to brew my first batch!

Welcome to the Borg!

You don't drink this from the bottle. You have to pour it into a glass all at once and stop before you empty it. I leave about 1/4 inch of brew in the bottle. Once you tip the bottle, then set it back down, you kick up the bottle trub.... ie.. instant gas machine up to instant ex lax. It takes an expensive filtration system to remove all of this stuff.

Because Mr. Beer batches are carbonated in the bottle by the remaining yeast, you're going to get some yeasty goodness settling at the bottom of the bottle. Personally, I kinda like it, but if you want to avoid it, you're probably not going to want to drink out of the bottle. Chill the beer for a couple days. That helps to settle out the yeast and clear your beer. Then pour your beer into a glass, making sure to not pour the sediment into your glass.

Welcome, by the way. I've only been brewing for about 6 weeks and I've found the people here to be extremely helpful and patient. I think their beer chills them out.

:drinking:

Perfect way to start this. I wondered the same thing last Christmas when I started.

Honestly, you're going to want to pour it in a glass. A neat thing most of us did last year was even take a store bought beer and pour one and just open the other. Appreciate the color and aroma of the one in the glass compared to the bottle. Then taste them.... It's truly better in a glass. You worked hard to make that beer and it's a quality one... don't sell your beer short by drinking from the bottle. Pour it into a glass and put that baby on display, and enjoy it to it's full potential.

Merry Christmas to all, the weather up here in ND is real nice, snowing some but makes for a nice Christmas even though we already have enough LOL.

+1 to pour it in a glass and enjoy! I really enjoy the aroma of my beers so I would never drink my beer in a bottle! Pour that sucker in your favorite drinking glass!

:cheers:

jcmccoy wrote -

+1 to pour it in a glass and enjoy! I really enjoy the aroma of my beers so I would never drink my beer in a bottle! Pour that sucker in your favorite drinking glass!

True that. What your going to learn on top of making beer is appreciating it. The aroma, mouthfeel, flavor, lacing of the foam on the glass while drinking.....just about everything. I used to swill my beer. Now I savor it.

Mutsy wrote:

Merry Christmas to all, the weather up here in ND is real nice, snowing some but makes for a nice Christmas even though we already have enough LOL.

LOL, u can have the snow... I'm in Devils Lake and we have enough to last a life time.

FrozenInTime wrote:

Mutsy wrote:

LOL, u can have the snow... I'm in Devils Lake and we have enough to last a life time.

Beautiful I used to spend a lot of time in DL on Camp Grassick. I have and uncle who lives in DL and works for soil conservation there.

I just received the Mr. Beer kit today also. As much as I can't wait to get started, I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can before I start brewing. Initially I was thinking about starting on January 1st, but I'll probably end up doing my first batch tomorrow.

One question I do have is bottling preference. I have 15 of the plastic 32 oz bottles that I received, but something about beer out of a plastic bottle doesn't seem right to me lol. Is glass better than plastic, or vice versa? How difficult is it to keg your beer?

Thanks.

Welcome jrydun,
You are right get to brewing ASAP! The PET bottles will be fine and forgiving, particularly at first. Bottling will be easy, but you gotta get to brewing and fermenting first.
Post you results.

My first batch went into the PET bottles, and once they're all empty I'll use them again.

Welcome to the neighborhood, jrydun!

Like Sham Addams said, don't worry about using the PET bottles. Because of the sediment that will form at the bottom of PET or glass bottles, you're probably not going to want to drink out of the bottle anyway. Besides, when you pour in a glass, you get to see how pretty your brew is!

Sham Addams wrote:

Welcome jrydun,
You are right get to brewing ASAP! The PET bottles will be fine and forgiving, particularly at first. Bottling will be easy, but you gotta get to brewing and fermenting first.
Post you results.

Welcome to the community and good luck. Stick to the PETS for at least a couple of batches like Sham said. They are a lot better at first in case of mistakes(no bottle bombs). Plus you can "feel" whats going on with your beer by squeezing them. Then by all means get a capper and go for it!

Thanks for the welcome. I've literally been on the internet reading for about 6 hours now. I'll definitely be doing a batch this weekend.

About to order the locking spigot and wand combo, a hydrometer and tube, and another 2 gallon fermenter(maybe 2 :P).

Welcome to the forum!

I use both with each batch. I like the plastic, because you can squeeze the bottle to get some idea of the carbonation level/progress. And it's not like you would drink from the plastic, rather pour to a glass - then drink. I like the glass because of the 12 oz serving size option. So, I always use both plastic and glass with every batch.

Again, welcome.

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile: WE have Beer.

Just got kit for Christmas and have been absorbing information online for a few hours. I can't wait to start. :)

Well, if something doesn't seem quite clear, feel free to ask. This is a start point time of year for a lot of people, so keep reading, if you don't see your question, ask.

I received my kit last Christmes, and will be bottling batch 22 tomorrow. Everyone here has been very helpful and friendly, so let me add my welcome to all the noobies. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. As for the glass or plastic question, IMHO, glass is the only way to go. And drinking out of a glass is the only way for any quality beer, home or craft brew. Personally, I pour into a glass and then drink the trub from the bottle. I like the yeast taste and it does keep one regular!! :chug:

+1 on drinking the sediment from the bottle. It is also packed with B viamins that are good for you and will make you a walking-talking flea and mosquito repellant.

But... if your over the big 50 like me... ain't saying how far over.. never trust a phart...just say'n

Hello All!!
I just got my MB kit today for Christmas from my AWESOME girlfriend. I'm super excited to drink MY own beer. I do have a question though. Is there such a thing as fermenting too long?? The standard recipe generally says that for best results allow to ferment for 2 weeks and condition in the bottle for another 2 weeks. I'm going on a cruise January 14 of next year, can I let the beer condition in the bottle while I'm on vacation? I'll be gone for 7 days. Thanx for any help!

Guest System Admin

yankeedag wrote:

But... if your over the big 50 like me... ain't saying how far over.. never trust a phart...just say'n

I hit the big 5-0 this year, and I NEVER trust a Phart. Could be a Shart.

G

Also new and over 50 - I'll start tonight, after I watch the video's and snoop around the forum. And after I look on youtube for the 3 Stooges episode where they brew beer in a bathtub....

BrewBuddy36 wrote:

Hello All!!
I just got my MB kit today for Christmas from my AWESOME girlfriend. I'm super excited to drink MY own beer. I do have a question though. Is there such a thing as fermenting too long?? The standard recipe generally says that for best results allow to ferment for 2 weeks and condition in the bottle for another 2 weeks. I'm going on a cruise January 14 of next year, can I let the beer condition in the bottle while I'm on vacation? I'll be gone for 7 days. Thanx for any help!

looks like you almost got lost in the chatter:
Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile: We have beer.
As I understand your question: is it ok to let the beer sit in The Bottle longer...Oh yas. There are only a few beers that sit well for just a month. Most will age better if allowed to sit longer. The critical time is during the Brewing/Fermenting stage. Try not to let the wort sit on the trub (that gunk on the bottom of the keg) for more than 21 days. To help clear up the brew, try setting the keg in the fridge 2 days before bottling. when you take the keg out to bottle, don't wait for it to warm up, just do it. Then set the bottles aside for a month or longer. :stout:

I will never and never have bottled in plastic. I always pour it into a glass but like others have said, a plastic bottle of beer is just weird. That's just my two cents but plastic will work just fine.

Hello forum!

Just got an MB from Santa Claus and set to work with the first batch. No huge issues here, that I know of anyway. I guess I will know in a few weeks.

One question; is white sugar always used during the bottling phase, or can other sugars be used?

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile: We have Beer.

you can use other sugars for priming. Table sugar just happens to be cheap and works well.

Super Duty Stu wrote:

Hello forum!

Just got an MB from Santa Claus and set to work with the first batch. No huge issues here, that I know of anyway. I guess I will know in a few weeks.

One question; is white sugar always used during the bottling phase, or can other sugars be used?

Table Sugar, Corn Sugar, Honey, DME.....the list goes on. I think most prime with table sugar, if you were to take a poll.

Ok noobies are free to ask, I installed the Qbrew program and all is fine except it does not contain all the Mrb cans missing some. I changed the database to screwy file on his web site and still not good. missing west coast pale, bewitched red ale, high country and some more.
any idea? are they named different?

Brew, drink and be happy!!!

My girl got me the value pack for my b day then I got the keg about a month ago. I'm waiting to move into my new house in two months before i brew. Currently staying with the inlaws. I have been reading the borg everyday for about two months now........cant wait to finally brew!!!!!

Header75 wrote:

My girl got me the value pack for my b day then I got the keg about a month ago. I'm waiting to move into my new house in two months before i brew. Currently staying with the inlaws. I have been reading the borg everyday for about two months now........cant wait to finally brew!!!!!

The anticipation is killer, ain't it? :huh:

JediJunkie247 wrote:

Header75 wrote:

The anticipation is killer, ain't it? :huh:

Yes it is!!! Thats all I think about all day!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: I feel like im an expert brewer with all the stuff im reading on the borg.......cant wait to actually brew!!

Rebel_B wrote:

Welcome aboard! I believe you'll need to replace the original data with screwy's updated files. D Rock posted instructions here: http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=9&id=19303#19308
All the Mr B ingredients should be listed... Happy Holidays!

Thanks Rebel. I got it working, neat program.
Do have a question: is there a beer styles list? that is the only part of the program that throws me. Example, Im planing on my 1st batch to be the Rose's Rambling Red recipe from the mrb instruction book, what style would that be in the qbrew program. Thanks for any input to my dumb question!!

Well I have been doing my research on brewing and have been waiting for Christmas to come. I got my Mr. Beer kit and am excited to begin brewing!

Tonight is brew night!

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile: we have beer.

feel free to ask any questions when and if (they will) arise.

I just got my first Mr. Beer and yesterday I cooked up a batch.

I'm a little unclear of the fermentation times. It say a minimum of 7 day, but reccomends 14. and then another 7 to sit in the bottles.

So in a bout 2 weeks, I can bottle it and then I let it sit for a week and then I get to find out whether I screwed it up? :laugh:

The anticipation is the worst part. I wanna try it now!!!

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Futile: We have beer.

You'll need to let the beer sit in the fermenter for 14~21 days. Once you bottle, you'll need to let it sit for 28 days (minimum) first 14 days is to carbinate...the 2nd 14 days is to let the yeast to finish up what it started. You'll see it called the 2-2-2- method. (ferment-carbinate-age).
Use this time to harvest recappable bottles while you can still stand to drink them.

My kit came with bottles. So I'm lucky there. I got the premium kit with West Coast Pale Ale and some 1 liter bottles.

It won't be long (sorta) before you out grow those bottles... you'll thank me later if you start stocking up on 12/16 oz bottles now.

They're a good start. My plan for now is to see how the brewing process works out with the kit and then i'll probably order some 12oz glass ones* and a capper.

(Or drinking a case of Sam Adams and just getting a capper)

BTW, if I run my glass bottles through my dishwasher, will they come out clean enough? (I know the plastic ones that come with it aren't dishwasher safe)

What a lot of us do is rinse the bottle pretty good right after we pour into the drinking glass. Wash them early, and it makes it easy. Then give them the sanitizer treatment, and there you go.

start by working up your next order... find a local Home brew store..get to know them... and have fun.

Patience is the most difficult part of the brewing process. I think this is true for the experienced brewers among us as well as the first-timers.

The solution to this is to have two or three kegs going at all times, and as soon as you bottle a batch, you clean up, sanitize, and brew up another batch. This builds the pipeline up, so eventually you'll have enough properly-aged beer to drink, and you'll even have a variety within the drinkable ones!

I'm not quite up to keeping multiple batches yet. Right now, I just want to make sure I can do one batch right.

In the mean time, I'm browsing the Mr. Beer store and contemplating my next refill. I'm going to see how well I like the West Coast Ale and then decide whether to change kinds.

One step at a time for now. Especially since my wife will kill me if I spend too much money right off the bat! :laugh:

Got my Mr. Beer for Christmas - very excited and am getting ahead of myself but I have two questions:

1) Mr. Beer comes with a West Coast Ale mix, and I know there are a bunch of others, but is it possible to make your own recipes with a Mr. Beer?

2) My kit came with a fermenter with a keg port on it, but no bottles. Do I need bottles, or can I store the beer in the keg when it is finished?

Thanks!

I also recieved my first kit for Christmas, and am going to start my first batch tonight...so, not a lot of questions yet, but I am sure i will have plenty after going through my first attempt!

I was wondering if it is preferable to use the spring/filtered water (that I will use to brew)for sanitation, or if tap water will work just as well? We have very hard water, so I don't know if I need to be concerned with minerals/deposits during that part of the process.

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile: we have beer.

more to your questions:
1: Yes, you can mix them up, and add to them. Keep reading and you'll find what others have done (just to give you ideas).
2: start collecting beer bottles. pop top style. screw caps won't work. you can use soday bottles, but you need to do the initial cleaning with cold water. otherwise the taste of the soda will set in.
and no, the keg is a poor storage device, good for fermenting, bad for storage.

DemonWolf wrote:

My kit came with bottles. So I'm lucky there. I got the premium kit with West Coast Pale Ale and some 1 liter bottles.

Welcome DemonWolf,
The PET bottles are a forgiving way to start.
Keep posting.

So you're saying that I need to drink the beer in my house so that I have bottles to fill with...my new beer.

Gee that sure does sound awful. B)

paytonrules wrote:

Got my Mr. Beer for Christmas - very excited and am getting ahead of myself but I have two questions:

1) Mr. Beer comes with a West Coast Ale mix, and I know there are a bunch of others, but is it possible to make your own recipes with a Mr. Beer?

2) My kit came with a fermenter with a keg port on it, but no bottles. Do I need bottles, or can I store the beer in the keg when it is finished?

Thanks!

Welcome paytonrules,

1}You can make most any style of beer with the little brown keg. You are only limited by your imagination and growing skill set.
2}You need bottles clean soda bottles will work.

Keep posting.

Wadsworthington wrote:

I also recieved my first kit for Christmas, and am going to start my first batch tonight...so, not a lot of questions yet, but I am sure i will have plenty after going through my first attempt!

I was wondering if it is preferable to use the spring/filtered water (that I will use to brew)for sanitation, or if tap water will work just as well? We have very hard water, so I don't know if I need to be concerned with minerals/deposits during that part of the process.

Welcome Wadsworthington,

If your tap water tastes fine use it. I brita mine into one gallon water jugs to chill in the fridge for top off water. I believe the minerals in hard water are used by the yeastie beasties as they do the wild thing and make your brew.

Keep posting.

paytonrules wrote:

So you're saying that I need to drink the beer in my house so that I have bottles to fill with...my new beer.

Gee that sure does sound awful. B)

We all have to make sacrifices. :)

Well I posted this is another topic in the recipes area - but maybe this is a better place for my newbie questions.

Ok - total newbie here been reading topic after topic for about 3 straight hours. The wife purchased me the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and I am dying to try out the WCPA that was included but most every other forum I have read, everyone has said the standard WCPA is just an ok beer but even just adding honey to the existing recipe makes it a good to "great" beer. After reading this topic, I am really leaning towards adding the honey - my question is.... why when people are talking about adding the honey, do you leave out the Booster? Can you add the honey on Day 4 AND just follow the instructions as they come? Again I am a total newbie to the brewing thing so I don't want to make the process overly complex to start but want to make a beer that makes me want to rush out and try something else. If I calculated things right, if I start the process this week, I should be able to pop my first bottle of my new hobby during the biggest sporting event of the year (Super Bowl for the non sports enthusiasts). Any and all help would be great - Also on a side tangent - the wife is buying me any 2 other refills I want. Trying to stay away from the heavier Irish Stouts for now, what are 2 good ones for a rookie to try that would give me "variety" Thanks to one and all in advance - Also - what kind of info can you all give me about the Ciders??? Do they require more time in the keg to be "good"?

Sham Addams wrote:

Welcome paytonrules,

1}You can make most any style of beer with the little brown keg. You are only limited by your imagination and growing skill set.

Keep posting.

Welcome Paytonrules...

All of what has been said is correct. Though I use glass now for the most part (if you have a local homebrew shop (LHBS) nearby, you can get caps and a capper), I found that the Miller Lite and Coors Light plastic 16oz PET bottles worked great for my first several brews.

Thanks for the advice and the welcome, I am excited to be a part of the group! Just trying to cover all of my bases so that I can (hopefully)have a successful first batch!

Hi all! Just got my first kit and excited to see how it turns out. I couldnt wait as i have been ready for it since i told my fiancée that it was what i wanted for christmas. I started my first batch of the pale ale that was included in my kit. I am going to try a Cider next to please her as well since she isnt a craft beer drinker. When making a cider with fruit can i just buy the can of fruit from kroger? I would be blending it according to some recipes ive seen.

This is kinda fun reading this thread. Last year I was the newbie... funny how much you can learn in a year. A lot can be learned (among other places) here, in Palmer's book, and by experimentation.

No question is a dumb question... there are some great people who impart some great knowledge, and before you know it you'll be the one imparting the knowledge...

yankeedag wrote:

Now that's funny! True, but funny!!!

Whew, finally got all this thread read.... LOL Hard for me to concentrait this long.

I missed a few newbies since I was off for a few days, son from other side of state and daughter from seattle is visiting, very nice time.

Anyway, I want to welcome all the newbies I missed! Welcome to the Borg!

:cheers:

tmed wrote:

Hi all! Just got my first kit and excited to see how it turns out. I couldnt wait as i have been ready for it since i told my fiancée that it was what i wanted for christmas. I started my first batch of the pale ale that was included in my kit. I am going to try a Cider next to please her as well since she isnt a craft beer drinker. When making a cider with fruit can i just buy the can of fruit from kroger? I would be blending it according to some recipes ive seen.

Welcome tmed,
The Oregon fruit sold by Mr. Beer is the same sold by Kroger and you could use it the same.
Keep Posting.

Hello all.
I got the Gold kit along with 8 extra PETs and a 3 pack of refills for Christmas! Santa (err the family) took me completely by surprise with this gift, I had never even heard of 'Mr. Beer' before, but I am excited to read more and get started.
The main problem; I bought myself an electronic-cigarette kit two months ago (been smoke free since) and I have been reading forum posts non-stop ever since... So much so I've gone cross-eyed and need to give them eye-balls a rest for a little while. :laugh:

Anyway:

1. Do you also sanitize the top of the refill can before opening & pouring?
2. Is wax paper okay to set my sanitized equipment on?
3. I am going to try to follow all of the advice here, but with this being my first brew, Are any of these refills less fenicky with first timers mistakes?

Refills:
Whispering Wheat Weizenbier
Octoberfest Vienna Lager
Cowboy Golden Lager
Classic American Blonde Ale
High Country Canadian Draft

tmed... for a nice easy cider, get 2 gallons of tree top apple juice, 3 cups of golden brown sugar, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg. From a local home brew store, get 1 pound of lactose, and use 1/2 lbs for this mix. While your there, get two packets of champagne yeast. use the 2nd packet on the next batch of cider. bring everything to a boil but the apple juice. flame off, add to apple juice. once the temp is down, add the yeast.

oh...
Welcome to the beerborg Information center. you will be assimilated. resistance is futile: we have beer...and cider..

ScotTex wrote:

Hello all.
I got the Gold kit along with 8 extra PETs and a 3 pack of refills for Christmas! Santa (err the family) took me completely by surprise with this gift, I had never even heard of 'Mr. Beer' before, but I am excited to read more and get started.
The main problem; I bought myself an electronic-cigarette kit two months ago (been smoke free since) and I have been reading forum posts non-stop ever since... So much so I've gone cross-eyed and need to give them eye-balls a rest for a little while. :laugh:

Anyway:

1. Do you also sanitize the top of the refill can before opening & pouring?
2. Is wax paper okay to set my sanitized equipment on?
3. I am going to try to follow all of the advice here, but with this being my first brew, Are any of these refills less fenicky with first timers mistakes?

Refills:
Whispering Wheat Weizenbier
Octoberfest Vienna Lager
Cowboy Golden Lager
Classic American Blonde Ale
High Country Canadian Draft

Welcome ScotTex,
1. It won't hurt to sanitize the can top.
2. I just use a sanitized plate.
3. Pick the kit closest to your favorite beer style and get to brewing.
Keep Posting.

Welcome to the BeerBorg information center. you will be assimilated. resistance if futile: we have beer... lots of beer.
Sham has some good advice there. Just brows the sales book that came with it all. and check here on line to see what they have.

Thanks yankeedag & Sham Addams

Might have to give that recipe a try! Gonna check out my local BB&B tomorrow to see about some discounted refills.

Now the wait is on... :silly:

swenocha wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

Welcome paytonrules,

Keep posting.

Welcome Paytonrules...

All of what has been said is correct. Though I use glass now for the most part (if you have a local homebrew shop (LHBS) nearby, you can get caps and a capper), I found that the Miller Lite and Coors Light plastic 16oz PET bottles worked great for my first several brews.

Yes, but you'd have to drink Miller Lite and Coors Lite to get the bottles. :huh:

Super Duty Stu wrote:

swenocha wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

Welcome paytonrules,

Keep posting.

Welcome Paytonrules...

Yes, but you'd have to drink Miller Lite and Coors Lite to get the bottles. :huh:

You have a point... I had a MilBudCoors friend who did that duty for me... ;)

swenocha wrote:

Super Duty Stu wrote:

swenocha wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

Welcome paytonrules,

Keep posting.

Welcome Paytonrules...

You have a point... I had a MilBudCoors friend who did that duty for me... ;)

Tee hee! You said duty. :)

Welcome new brewers. I, and many on here started Christmas 2009. The best advice I could give is don't judge the the process after 1 or 2 batches. It takes time, patience and experience. Eventually, you will crack open a beer you brewed that makes you say WOW!

Ok so I just got done brewing the WCPA tonight and was thinking about the sanitation process. It seems like the directions have you sanitize everything that the wort comes in contact with, but it doesn't tell you to do sanitize your brew pot. Should you let the solution sanitize your brew pot? Or because you are boiling the product, the bacteria will dissipate?

I'm excited to brew another batch but with only one fermenter currently...from what I'm reading, it's all about patience.

Thanks for all the help guys. It's all been helpful.

MetzgerBrewery wrote:

Ok so I just got done brewing the WCPA tonight and was thinking about the sanitation process. It seems like the directions have you sanitize everything that the wort comes in contact with, but it doesn't tell you to do sanitize your brew pot. Should you let the solution sanitize your brew pot? Or because you are boiling the product, the bacteria will dissipate?

I'm excited to brew another batch but with only one fermenter currently...from what I'm reading, it's all about patience.

Thanks for all the help guys. It's all been helpful.

The boil will take care of the bad guys.

New MB brewer here from the Gulf Coast. Have my first batch of WCPA in the fermenter now! Already thinking about ordering another fermenter or eight! Looking to get off of the store brand crud and into drinking my own hooch!

So if it takes approximately 4 - 6 weeks from the start of fermentation to resting, to a few days in the fridge ..... errrr I'll need more fermenters to fulfill my beer pledge of two cases a week!

Sham Addams wrote:
[quote
Tee hee! You said duty. :)

I'm one of the 20 people in the country who didn't watch that show every week, but I saw that episode.

Duty.

Duty.

Huh?

Come on!

Welcome to the beerborg information center. you will be assimilated. resistance is futile: we have beer.

yep. order more kegs. you'll get about 3 six packs of 16 oz beers out of your standard MB mix. so start making your pipeling. you can get a larger fermenter and double up on the batches....

yankeedag wrote:

you'll get about 3 six packs of 16 oz beers out of your standard MB mix. so start making your pipeling. you can get a larger fermenter and double up on the batches....

I only get 16 16oz bottles or 22 12oz bottles. What am I doing wrong ?

Okay...first batch went into the fermentor last night (WCPA). Had a lot of fun with the process...some slight spillage of the wort when i was transferring to the keg, but hopefully not enough to affect things too much (if you know otherwise, please let me know).

I was curious if there are any immediate signs that I can keep a lookout for to tell me that things are going right (or not), or will it take some time for me to notice the signs of fermentation?

docpd wrote:

I received my kit last Christmes, and will be bottling batch 22 tomorrow. Everyone here has been very helpful and friendly, so let me add my welcome to all the noobies. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. As for the glass or plastic question, IMHO, glass is the only way to go. And drinking out of a glass is the only way for any quality beer, home or craft brew. Personally, I pour into a glass and then drink the trub from the bottle. I like the yeast taste and it does keep one regular!! :chug:

+1 to that (and he's a doctor, he should know! LOL)
I try to keep it in the bottle, but I don't get too concerned about a little bit of the trub in the mug. :P

But I ALWAYS pour my beers into a mug/cup/glass to drink out of. It's the ONLY way!
You want to receive the full benefit of aroma and taste from your beer and that can only be done poured...with a nice head on the top. Same holds true for both your home brew and good quality commercial craft or premium brews too. However, as stated by others, your home brews especially are not best chugged from the bottle.

Welcome aboard to all you new guys and gals.
You have just become acquainted with your new obsession! LOL

(great thread Mutsy :party: )

yankeedag wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

I am and I don't. :)

You old guys crack me up! :woohoo: :whistle:

Signs of fermentation may be krausen (foam) on the top (WCPA is known for not giving much of that indication IME), but it will definitely be a yeasty smell coming from the lid and a tannish layer of trub at the bottom of the keg.

As for storing Booster... I'd just put it in a ziplock for next time. Hops should be kept refrigerated or frozen. I generally throw them in a little freezer when I get them, and then ziplock the ones I don't use and put 'em back in the freezer.

Wadsworthington wrote:

Okay...first batch went into the fermentor last night (WCPA). Had a lot of fun with the process...some slight spillage of the wort when i was transferring to the keg, but hopefully not enough to affect things too much (if you know otherwise, please let me know).

I was curious if there are any immediate signs that I can keep a lookout for to tell me that things are going right (or not), or will it take some time for me to notice the signs of fermentation?

Slight spillage is OK...still a sin, but you are forgiven (as long as it was slight). The effect on your final product will be minimal.

There are many variables affecting fermentation. Not all brews will give the same signs of progress. Usually within the first day or two, you will notice a layer of foam (krausen) building on the top. Sometimes it's thick and hits the roof, sometimes it's sparse and just a little layer of it, sometimes there isn't any. Depends on MANY things.
But you should notice a layer of trub building up on the bottom. That's the yeast and other bits of stuff...hops, spent grain residue, etc. that drop out of suspension and land there naturally. When you bottle, you want to leave that behind.
Want a good show? Take a flashlight and shine into your keg after a day or so. Looks like a volcano of activity and it is mesmerizing.
So, bottom line...there isn't really one particular indicator of fermentation to watch for. There's many!
Oh, and it smells great around the cap too! :P
As you gain some experience, your next and most valuable gadget you will want to obtain is a hydrometer. It will tell you exactly when your beer fermentation is done. Until then, gain that experience by waiting about 2 weeks and pull a sample and taste it. Tastes like flat beer, bottle it. Tastes sweet, let it sit a couple more days and try again.

Hey, welcome aboard and have fun!

I somehow missed this thread over Christmas weekend. Wow, what a monster this thing turned into. Great post Mutsy!

swenocha wrote:

Signs of fermentation may be krausen (foam) on the top (WCPA is known for not giving much of that indication IME), but it will definitely be a yeasty smell coming from the lid and a tannish layer of trub at the bottom of the keg.

As for storing Booster... I'd just put it in a ziplock for next time. Hops should be kept refrigerated or frozen. I generally throw them in a little freezer when I get them, and then ziplock the ones I don't use and put 'em back in the freezer.

I do much the same, but I bought one of those hand vacuum pump ziploc things, then later switched to seal-a-meal (actually, I think mine's a foodsaver, but it works the same way). protecting them from air is supposed to help keep them fresh longer.

Just got mine Christmas morning too (MB, not the pump in the prior post)!! January 1 is my brew day. Have read some great stuff on here already, and I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. Here's to a great new obsession (like I need another one...)

Welcome to the Beerborg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile: we have beer