Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

Whirlfloc Tablets

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading about Whirlfloc Tablets lately and am considering using them when I brew 5 gallon batches. The instructions say to use 1 tablet per 5 gallon batch and to add during the last 15 minutes of the boil. Do these instructions assume that most people will only boil about 2.5 gallons of water when doing a 5 gallon batch, and so the tablet will initially be added to only about 2.5 gallons of wort?

Also, for those of you who use these products, is there much difference between using Whirlfloc Tablets and Irish Moss?

Happy New Year to all!

I've only used Whirlfloc, so I can't speak to any differences, but I generally just break them in half and use a half tablet in the Mr. B size batch, or use one whole tablet on a 5 gallon batch. I've never really thought much into the amount of wort... only about the ultimate batch size.

Only used Whirfloc on full boils so I can't answer either. But, since what is trying to do is get the proteins to coagulate, I don't think that the late addition of water makes a big difference. In the end, the same amount of the tablet will be in the same amount of wort so I wouldn't sweat it.

But, I understand if you're looking for a more definitive answer.

Thanks for your input, guys. I think I'll go ahead and put in an order to see how it works. Swenocha, I thought the idea of using a half tablet for a MB sized batch was a great idea! Thanks to you too, Kealia!