Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

Hop Addition Help

Hello Everyone,

I'm just getting into 5 gallon extract batches and have a question about hop additions during the boil. I'm wondering if you more experienced brewers can comment on the use of muslin hop sacks & nylon bags to contain hop pellets:

Do you use multiple muslin hop sacks for pellet hop additions at the various points in the boil?

Does doing so decrease their effect as opposed to just tossing them in un-bagged?

Do you place a large nylon bag in the brew pot and remove the hop residue all at once at the end of the boil?

Do you just toss the hop pellets in and let them dissolve without any kind of bag in the pot and try to leave the sludge in the bottom of the pot by careful pouring?

Just looking for some ideas/advice on process. I tried hopping without any kind of bag(s) last time around and it left a lot gunk in suspension when I poured the wort into the primary fermenter.

I just drop the hops right in to the boil...I never use muslin sacks. After I cool the wort down, I place a SS strainer over my bucket and pour the wort through the strainer. If you go that route, just make sure that the handle of the strainer is long enough so that it can rest across the bucket (or that the strainer itself is big enough).

I've only used a muslin sack once and I didn't like the effect I got because I packaged it too tight leading to a small amount of hops surface area exposed. If I were to use a sack again I'd be sure that it was packaged very loosely to expose as much surface area as possible.

I usually just throw in my hops pellets whole.

I'm sure if you polled the borg, the results would be "all of the above". Any of those methods will work, so do whatever works best for you. The last few times I boiled, I used the nylon bag (paint strainer from Home Depot), and lifted the muck away from the wort at the end. Seems to work very well.

I boil naked and strain. I usually use a hop sack for dry hopping.

packerduf wrote:

I'm sure if you polled the borg, the results would be "all of the above". Any of those methods will work, so do whatever works best for you. The last few times I boiled, I used the nylon bag (paint strainer from Home Depot), and lifted the muck away from the wort at the end. Seems to work very well.

+1

And as Packerduf said, it's brewer's choice. But I've found that using a single sack clipped to the pot with office clips works for me. They are big enough to get into the wort, roomy enough to allow for flow through it and they contain and the particles so it keeps the beer clear.

I've done two without sacks that ended up fine - I just had more trub and spent hop in the bottom of my primary.

I got tired of cleaning the strainer every couple of minutes while I was straining the wort coming into the fermenter and went and invested in 2 nylon paint strainer bags from HomeDepot for $3. One of the best purchases I've made. The bags are plenty big enough for everything to not be packed together, but I can easily pull the grains or hops out in one easy motion. They have elastic tops that fit right around the brewpot as well, and I just drop some metal binder clips on for security.

oly wrote:

I boil naked and strain. I usually use a hop sack for dry hopping.

Don't fry bacon that way!

oly wrote:

I boil naked and strain.

I usually cook clothed... might hurt if splashed upon... LOL

Thanks, guys! I think I'll make a trip to the hardware store to pick up a couple of nylon paint strainer bags -- sounds like it might be the least complicated way...