Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bbbatv

stupid question....

just fermentited my first ever batch and will be able to bottle sunday after a long awaited 14days...just wondered if people refridgerate right away or wait 2 weeks?

I wait at least 4 weeks before putting it in the fridge. Usually 2 weeks to carb and 2 weeks to condition. Conditioning may take longer depending on how complex the beer is.

For best results, don't refrigerate until your beer has been in the bottle at room temperature for at least a month.
If you refrigerate right away, it won't even carbonate (unless you take it back out).

Thx all....new at this and like the help here.....must ask...why do the directions say bottle 7 days but 2 weeks is better...now everyone says at least 4 weeks

bbbatv wrote:

Thx all....new at this and like the help here.....must ask...why do the directions say bottle 7 days but 2 weeks is better...now everyone says at least 4 weeks

Because, yes, you have made beer after 7 days of carbing in the bottle. But, the longer you let it sit unrefrigerated after bottling the better it tastes. The yeast have a chance to work a bit more after producing the bubbles. The flavors just get better because the hops, adjuncts, and malts get better acquainted.
:stout:

I think the '7 days' is also a marketing idea. Offer quick results and increase sales. It actually sells the MrBeer products short.
I have a Red Ale brewing for 7 days now and I know it will take at least another week in the keg and a solid month in the bottle...it still has a krausen island floating on it!

Ok cool...all makes sense...so ive had in the keg since dec 26...i can bottle on sunday and just shelve it for 4 weeks....correct

You SHOULD be able to. A hydrometer is a cheap tool that becomes very valuable to tell you when a beer is done fermenting.

In the absence of that, use your taste buds. If it tastes like flat beer = bottle. If it's sweet = give it a few more days in the keg.

bbbatv wrote:

is it possible to leave it in the keg too long?

Most here recommend not leaving the beer in the keg for more than 3 weeks (21 days). I have gone 24 days with no ill effects, but usually go 21 days.