Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NuBrewer

Wondering does WCPA taste like Coors LT?

Hello All!

I'm new to the forum. I'm very excited about making beer!! I love it so why not make it! ;)

I have one week down in the fermentor and waiting on the second. Should I generally stick with the 2-2-2 with the West Coast Pale Ale that came with my kit? I really want the first batch to be ok so I don't get frusterated like I usually do when something isn't great.

What would be the closest Domestic beer flavor of the WCPA so I know what to expect?(I'm a coors light drinker normally) Or is it different all together?

Many thanks to all in advance and look forward to reading/learning about my new found hobby.
-Tim

Welcome to the Borg!

2-2-2 works with wcpa.

Coors light... :pinch:

even tho its the cheapest and it comes with most kits its a hole lot better than a coors lt
me i like it more than a bud

Welcome to the beerborg information center.why drink coors when you can have beer. you will be assimilated. resistance is futile: we have beer.

Read on, have fun. You'll need to leave your beer in the keg for two weeks, bottle, leave it for 4 weeks, and then you'll have beer.

I think the WCPA tastes a bit like Heineken - from the keg or can (i.e. without the skunky smell). Alot would depend on the yeast though, and how it gets fermented.

I'm kinda itchin' to revisit WCPA (though every single nearby BB&B is out of 3-packs... missed the clearance all together this year. Stupid vacation with in-laws... ;)). The first time I made it was the first time I made beer, and it was probably fermented too high, and was with booster and without UME. I've used it a couple more times as a base, but I kinda want to shoot the Deluxe refill straight-up (with a different yeast, maybe). I'm interested in hearing what all the new brewers think in a month or so...

B)

personally, WCPA is too good to compare to any of the big ones,AB coors miller et al.

but thats just me :woohoo:

I'm making my first brew as well with the WCPA, I just bottled today and did the taste test to make sure it was ready, and I thought it tasted better than Coors after only two weeks!!! :) Just kidding but it was pretty damn good... i seriously don't think I can do the 2-2-2 though, I may have to start at 2-2. Can't wait to get things streamlined so i always have a brew ready!

Cheers,
Marc

swenocha wrote:

I'm kinda itchin' to revisit WCPA (though every single nearby BB&B is out of 3-packs... missed the clearance all together this year. Stupid vacation with in-laws... ;)). The first time I made it was the first time I made beer, and it was probably fermented too high, and was with booster and without UME. I've used it a couple more times as a base, but I kinda want to shoot the Deluxe refill straight-up (with a different yeast, maybe). I'm interested in hearing what all the new brewers think in a month or so...

You wouldn't have gotten a WCPA at BBBY anyway. They had the International series (HCCD, WW, OVL).

My mystery brew was WCPA. I opened one after a couple of weeks so I could report back, but I don't remember any details other than there were no off tastes. They'll probably work their way into the rotation in about a month or so. It will be interesting to see what I think of this batch. I added about a pound and a half of LME and an ounce of Strisselspalt hops.

I brewed a batch a little more than a year ago (with 1 lb DME and 4 g Cascade hops boiled for 10 minutes) and according to my notes, it was very good after a long condition (but at that time, a long condition might have been a month).

From what I've been reading, if you want Coors Lt, Water down your beer when you bottle

I think WCPA tastes like a strong Budlight, I myself was a Coors Light, Bud Light, Bud Light Wheat drinker in my few drinks. I enjoyed the WCPA, strong enough for me, the less than average drinker. Lucky to drink once a week, but... did enjoy it. I drank 1 Liter for NYE. It had been fermented just 2 days under 2 weeks, 2 weeks in the bottle and 24 hours in the fridge. I was happy.

Here's the recipe for a Coors Lite clone:

Brew and ferment as normal.
When bottling, fill each bottle just past half-way with water, then top off with beer.

WCPA gets beat up a little bit on this board sometimes, but it's really not that bad. For a first brew, it's a good place to start. Does it taste like Coors Light? Uh........................no. :laugh:

FedoraDave wrote:

Does WCPA taste like Coors Light?

No.

It tastes like beer.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wonder if Tim (a.k.a. NuBrewer) will be posting any more now that we've had such fun telling each other how much better our beer is than his. Sure I take all your kidding around (that's all it is, isn't it?) about how much I like Budweiser, but that's because I know how much you really love me. But I'm not sure NuBrewer knows us that well.

Maybe it would be better not to make fun of a guy's favorite beer until he's had a chance to get to know what great guys we all are.

I ask that same question about 2 weeks ago...Just got done bottling my WCPA and took a taste. I thought it taste like Miller High Life. :unsure: I hate Miller, But I drink Coors light when Im broke. :chug:

bigdave3124 wrote:

I wonder if Tim (a.k.a. NuBrewer) will be posting any more now that we've had such fun telling each other how much better our beer is than his. Sure I take all your kidding around (that's all it is, isn't it?) about how much I like Budweiser, but that's because I know how much you really love me. But I'm not sure NuBrewer knows us that well.

Maybe it would be better not to make fun of a guy's favorite beer until he's had a chance to get to know what great guys we all are.

Well, if he reads the forums he will see that balls get busted around here from time to time. Its what the Borg does often. His very may have just got busted, so I say, he has been welcomed to the Borg :)

bigdave3124 wrote:

DROW!

Guest System Admin

I myself may "revisit" the WCPA at some point just for shits and grins. But I would use a US-05 or something like that, and hop it up a little.

Like everybody else said, it is a great starting point.

It lets you know, you can make beer.

G

kedogn wrote:

bigdave3124 wrote:

Well, if he reads the forums he will see that balls get busted around here from time to time. Its what the Borg does often. His very may have just got busted, so I say, he has been welcomed to the Borg :)
I do hope he sees it your way. :)

You listening, Tim?

BYO Schlitz clone (been itching to try this):

5 gallons/19 L, countertop partial mash; OG = 1.045; FG = 1.006; IBU = 13; SRM = 4; ABV = 5.0%

Ingredients:
1 lb. 2 oz. (0.51 kg) 6-row pale malt
1 lb. 11 oz. (0.77 kg) 2-row pale malt
1 lb. 3 oz. (0.54 kg) flaked maize
3.0 lbs. (1.4) Briess light liquid malt extract
14 oz. (0.4 kg) corn sugar
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
1.75 AAU Cluster hops (60 mins) (0.55 oz./16 g of 7% alpha acids)
1.75 AAU US Fuggles hops (60 mins) (1.1 oz./32 g of 7% alpha acids)
Wyeast 2035 (American Lager) yeast (3 qt./~3 L yeast starter)
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)
Step by Step:
Heat 5.5 qts. (5.2 L) of water to 164 °F (73 °C) and pour into a 2-gallon (7.6-L) beverage cooler. Place crushed grains and flaked maize in a large steeping bag and submerge in cooler water. Open bag and poke around with a spoon to ensure grains and water are thoroughly mixed. Let partial mash rest, starting at 153 °F (67 °C), for 45 minutes. While the partial mash is resting, heat 1.0 gallon (3.8 L) of water to a boil in your brewpot and heat 5.5 qts. (5.2 L) of water to 180 °F (82 °C) in a large soup pot.

Recirculate about 2 qts. (~2 L) of wort, then run off first wort and add to boiling water in brewpot. Add the 180 °F (82 °C) water to the cooler until liquid level is the same as before. Stir grains, let rest 5 minutes, then recirculate and run off wort as before.

Add corn sugar and bring wort to a boil. Once hot break forms, add hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add Irish moss with 15 minutes left in boil. After boil, stir in liquid malt extract and let steep for 15 minutes before cooling wort.

Cool brewpot in sink or with immersion chiller. Transfer wort to fermenter and top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with cold water. Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Let ferment at 55 °F (13 °C) until fermentation slows, then allow temperature to rise to 60 °F (16 °C). After three days (or after sampling the beer and detecting no diacetyl), separate beer from yeast, cool beer to 40 °F (4.4 °C) and begin lagering. Allow to lager for 6 weeks, then keg and force carbonate to 2.6 volumes of CO2.

NuBrewer wrote:

What would be the closest Domestic beer flavor of the WCPA so I know what to expect?(I'm a coors light drinker normally) Or is it different all together?

-Tim

My 3rd batch was West Coast Pale/Pale UME, plus half a Booster. My notes from 18 months ago were not so hot but I did write: "Had one bottle on 05/03. Awesome flavor, not one note of cider.Some bottles seemed sweet".

WCPA did not strike me as a 'light' beer, though. Closest domestic? Man, I dunno. It will be good, for you will have made it yourself!
:stout:

I see you guys don't ease a person into this......I can take some jabs here and there, and maybe even give some!! Thanks for the welcoming :chug:

Sheldoni wrote:

I myself may "revisit" the WCPA at some point just for shits and grins. But I would use a US-05 or something like that, and hop it up a little.

Like everybody else said, it is a great starting point.

It lets you know, you can make beer.

G

Sheldoni,
I did an IPA with the WCPA as a base.

I used 2 lbs of Amber DME , hopped the snot out of it with 1 oz of Apollo hops for 60 min and 1 oz of Mt Hood for 25 mins , and relied on the WCPA HME to fill in any additional flavor and aroma at flameout.

Sadly I have consumed all of it ... I was happy with the result and would brew it again.

I used Coopers 6gr dry yeast.

It's not really you. We had a (dare I say human?) guy that all he wanted to do was brew Coors Light. We finally had to plant a boot in "it's" bum. Nothing wrong with a Coors Light that a box of 22 cal shells and a fence post won't cure...

Guest System Admin

I once had a kitty litter box that smelled just like coor's light.

G

my first batch was also WCPA...and its full flavor was more like a nice ale similar to a slightly less tart Blue Moon...CL...no... :blink:

good luck...I think you might get a new appreciation for the worlds greatest beverage here...my main challenge is to get a grip on all the info available on the forum...there is a lot to learn here learning the way around the revenuers...

...advice to me has been to stick w/ the Mr Beer recipes for a while until I have several successes under my belt...advice I am following...t :chug:

Swenocha: Thanks for posting that recipe! Is that supposed to be the "original" Schlitz recipe (that was recently revived) or do you know?

NuBrewer: You're a good man. Welcome!

Yankeedag: I had almost forgotten that guy. And I'm not necesssarily too glad you reminded me! Let's see, didn't it start with something about clear fermenters and then go on to Coors Light? Ah the old days . . .

bigdave3124 wrote:

Swenocha: Thanks for posting that recipe! Is that supposed to be the "original" Schlitz recipe (that was recently revived) or do you know?

NuBrewer: You're a good man. Welcome!

Yankeedag: I had almost forgotten that guy. And I'm not necesssarily too glad you reminded me! Let's see, didn't it start with something about clear fermenters and then go on to Coors Light? Ah the old days . . .

That recipe was based on the original recipe according to the write-up. That may be my first lager...

Welcome NuBrewer, I'm fairly new to this forum myself, but have been making Mr.B for a year. I like the westcoast Pale ale that comes with most kits. I'm on my third batch of wcpa going to bottle some tomorrow, I can't really say what big selling beer it reminds me of. I think Mr.Beer is smart to use it for the first try at home brewing, I make it for some of my guest that aren't ready for a hoppy IPA or a dark malt taste. If you are use to drinking Coors Lite and you start making some good beer & get use to the flavor, you'll drink water before wanting a coors. I know I drank Milwaukee Best, Millers & Busch Lite I don't even consider them to be beer anymore (just kidding I still drink a lot of them when I go to my neighbors & they give them to me)
:cheers:

Guest System Admin

NuBrewer wrote:

I don't know if I would compare it to Coors Light, but I do think it's a good brew for you to see how good home brew can be!

Also, don't take it too much to heart about everyone ragging on what I'm going to call your "current favorite brew." I still keep some PBR and Schlitz in my fridge at all times. :laugh:

So, welcome! And nice avatar! :cheers:

you guys are gonna be fun to have as beer buddies! thanks again for the info. I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future....

I just thought of another....how do you get the beers that you a are either brewing/bottled/drinkin/gone to appear on your profile when you post something?

Add 'em to your signature on your profile (click the 'My profile' tab above, then click the 'my profile info' link... scroll to the bottom and you'll see where you can enter a sig)...

I'm one of those xmas brewers (I had to buy myself the kit!) and my WCPA with some holiday spices, 8 oz of Honey and 1/2 cup of sugar went 7 days in primary, 7 days in bottles in a dark closet, and 24 hrs in the fridge until the first top was popped. The last few have been in the fridge about 3 wks now and keep getting better. I think its closer to MGD, but a heckuva lot tastier. I didn't get any Coors vibes.

Sheldoni wrote:

I once had a kitty litter box that smelled just like coor's light.

G

I'll do you one better. I've currently got two litter boxes that smell better than Coor's Light.

:lol:

Could be worse...someone could want to brew PBR (pabst blue ribbon). It was my beer of choice back when I was a Lance Cooley in the Corps, but only because it was the cheapest thing at the PX! But that was back when Jesus was still a Corporal! ha ha ha

NuBrewer, thanks for being a good sport about all the ribbing.

Yes, we're a little harsh on the macros around here, for a variety of reasons, some of them having to do with their business practices, some of them having to do with their marketing strategies, most of them having to do with the fact that our palates have become used to more variety and a different level of beer-drinking experience, which we feel the macro products don't really deliver.

Think of it this way: what's the best hamburger you've ever had? Probably the one you grilled in your own backyard, but even in a restaurant, you've had better burgers than McDonalds, haven't you? Sure, Mickey D's burgers are tasty, and they're convenient, since they're everywhere. But the best? No.

Plus, we're proud of our own product. Whatever the style, few things beat a homebrewed beer.

There's nothing inherently wrong or bad about Coors Light, or Budweiser beers or Miller, either. But after a few months of homebrewing, you may come to realize that Coors Light merely scratches the surface of the beer-drinking experience. And for most of us, now that we've soared with the eagles, we'd prefer to spend our time there.

I work with a guy who drinks an entire case of PBR every two days; more on the weekend. "Quantity not Quality" he says.