Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Noah0504

Honey Weizen (Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Clone)

This past November while in Wisconsin, my dad and I stopped by the LHBS they had there. I wasn't really in need of any ingredients or recipes, but I figured I might as well leave with something! I picked up a kit to make a Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Clone. We toured the brewery that day as well, and it just seemed like a good fit, and the Honey Weiss is one beer that I really enjoy having.

The recipe is pretty simple. It's for a 5 gallon batch, but easily split into half for my 2.5 gallon fermenters. Here's what I used:

3.3 pound can of Muntons Wheat LME
7 ounces of Honey
.5 ounces of Sterling Hops

I was excited because this would be my first full boil, even if it was super simple. On the advice of my dad (packerduf), I used about half of my LME for the 60 minute hop boil. At 55 minutes, I poured the rest of the LME in and then added the honey for the last one minute per the instructions.

100_0430_modified.JPG

The kit actually came with liquid wheat yeast, but because we were traveling back to Oklahoma soon and I was going to split the recipe, the owner of the LHBS threw in a pack of WB-06 just in case. I took this as an opportunity to do a little experimenting. The batch I brewed on Thursday night used the WB-06. This weekend I'm going to brew the other half and use the liquid yeast. I would love to compare how each ferments and also the taste and other details that each yeast offers if there is any.

In about 2-3 weeks, I guess I'll be able to take the first sample before bottling to find out how this one is going to taste. I'm pretty excited. Any comments and/or advice is always welcome!

EDIT:
I completely forgot to mention that my girlfriend helped me make this batch... I think she was more excited than I was! Another point for home brew!

It will be very interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of these beers - WB-06 vs the liquid yeast. Looks good Noah. The only advise I would give you is, once bottled, immediately deliver half of each to your father. :)

BTW: Which liquid yeast was included in this kit?

Thanks for that recipe. That's one of my favorite beers. Definitely let us know how that goes.

It seams like an easy enough recipe to recreate. Can't wait to try this.

Thanks

I love the idea of splitting a batch and comparing yeasts. I did this a few months ago and the difference between the two I used was amazing. It's a great way to learn about yeast profiles.

Good luck.

Guest System Admin

The liquid yeast was 1010 American Wheat. Here is the page for the yeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=126

I'm excited to see the differences. I made the second batch last night and the liquid yeast was good to go. I'm already seeing some activity this morning.

I'll post back here when I bottle and again when I sample a bottle in about a month or so.

I split up a batch and did this. Compared US-05 yeast to the MrB yeast that came with it. I can tell a big difference between the two. Although both were pretty tasty, the MrB yeast actually tasted better. This surprised me, it was ADIPA, brewed per recipe.

Nice post and pic noah0504.

How much yeast did you need for the full 5 gallon recipe? I'm trying to make a 2 gallon batch of this but need to know how much wb-06 to buy. Thanks!

Thanks for the post and definitely keep us updated. I'm real curious about this and I love anything Leinenkugel makes. I bet that visit was awesome. That's pretty bitchen weve got a father and son on here. My boys only 11 so he and I are sticking to Mr Rootbeer for now but I can't wait! Keep us updated,thanks again.

Guest System Admin

Anthonyl987 wrote:

How much yeast did you need for the full 5 gallon recipe? I'm trying to make a 2 gallon batch of this but need to know how much wb-06 to buy. Thanks!

I split this into 2 2.5 gallon batches. If you're going to us WB-06, I say just get on package and pitch the whole thing. It's not a really heavy beer, so that should be even more than is needed, but the extra won't hurt either.

Rob wrote:

Thanks for the post and definitely keep us updated. I'm real curious about this and I love anything Leinenkugel makes. I bet that visit was awesome. That's pretty bitchen weve got a father and son on here. My boys only 11 so he and I are sticking to Mr Rootbeer for now but I can't wait! Keep us updated,thanks again.

Will do! This went into the bottles last week, so in a few more I'll pull a bottle and see how it's coming along. I will say the beer had a beautiful color and a pretty awesome taste out of the fermenter. I'm pretty excited to try it when it has conditioned fully.

Noah0504 wrote:

Anthonyl987 wrote:

I split this into 2 2.5 gallon batches. If you're going to us WB-06, I say just get on package and pitch the whole thing. It's not a really heavy beer, so that should be even more than is needed, but the extra won't hurt either.

Rob wrote:

Will do! This went into the bottles last week, so in a few more I'll pull a bottle and see how it's coming along. I will say the beer had a beautiful color and a pretty awesome taste out of the fermenter. I'm pretty excited to try it when it has conditioned fully.
Thanks Noah,look forward to it. Your dads a cool dude too man.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BfBft9xly8

Dang Rob! You tryin' to get me choked up? :whistle: Thanks for the endorsement, and the great song. Noah is a fine young man, and a great son. I couldn't be more proud of him, and his accomplishments. And he makes some damned good beer too. ;)

Guest System Admin

Okay, I guess it's time for me to follow up on this brew -- even though I'm a month or so late!

The verdict? It was good, but not great. I divided everything for a 5 gallon recipe in half. So, even though I used more water than a typical Mr. Beer batch, it was heavier than it should have been (although the gravities were on par, so maybe the recipe wasn't as close as it could have been).

Anyway, when I do this again, I'll probably lighten up on the LME and maybe pull back on the honey as well. I'm going to try this soon, so hopefully it will be closer to the Leinie's brew the second time around.