Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ikaika

Pilothouse =?

Can anyone tell me what name brand beer Pilothouse is comparable too? I have 2 cans and wanted to pair it up with one of my UME's. Mellow amber, Golden weat, or Creamy brown. .Hmmmm...Decisions.

While you can certainly do what you propose, I'll note that Pilothouse is a premium refill, and the stated instructions would have you using both cans in one brew. Having not tried the Pilothouse yet, I'll leave it to others to let you know what the characteristics of this brew are.

EDIT: I just realized that I likely misinterpreted your post, and you were planning to use both cans with a UME. Sounds like a plan. Carry on...

swenocha wrote:

While you can certainly do what you propose, I'll note that Pilothouse is a premium refill, and the stated instructions would have you using both cans in one brew. Having not tried the Pilothouse yet, I'll leave it to others to let you know what the characteristics of this brew are.

EDIT: I just realized that I likely misinterpreted your post, and you were planning to use both cans with a UME. Sounds like a plan. Carry on...

Yes, I'll be using both cans with 1 UME.

Pilothouse Pilsner is an amazingly different beer. It might just be the most creative thing Mr. Beer has done. In any case, I can't even give you anything that's similar. I've made it three times. I really love it. I know that there have been some on this forum who have said they didn't like it all that much, (What a shock, huh? We have different tastebuds! :woohoo: ) but I also remember several whose opinion was similar to mine.

Anyway, it's a beer that's designed to "showcase" the Nelson Sauvin hops - a fairly new variety from New Zealand where the Mr. Beer brewery is located. The name "Sauvin" is intended to remind you of "Sauvignon" (as in the grape) and one taste will tell you why!

If you want to add a UME, I'm sure it will be fine, but keep in mind that this beer already has fairly low bitterness, and the extra malt might make it sweeter than you like. If it were my beer, I'd make it as it is. In fact, the last time I made it, I went back to making it strictly according to the recipe (even using Mr. Beer yeast) because I thought it was better that way than on my second attempt (where I added quite a bit of crystal malt and decided it was just "wrong").

Cheers!

bigdave3124 wrote:

Pilothouse Pilsner is an amazingly different beer. It might just be the most creative thing Mr. Beer has done. In any case, I can't even give you anything that's similar. I've made it three times. I really love it. I know that there have been some on this forum who have said they didn't like it all that much, (What a shock, huh? We have different tastebuds! :woohoo: ) but I also remember several whose opinion was similar to mine.

Anyway, it's a beer that's designed to "showcase" the Nelson Sauvin hops - a fairly new variety from New Zealand where the Mr. Beer brewery is located. The name "Sauvin" is intended to remind you of "Sauvignon" (as in the grape) and one taste will tell you why!

If you want to add a UME, I'm sure it will be fine, but keep in mind that this beer already has fairly low bitterness, and the extra malt might make it sweeter than you like. If it were my beer, I'd make it as it is. In fact, the last time I made it, I went back to making it strictly according to the recipe (even using Mr. Beer yeast) because I thought it was better that way than on my second attempt (where I added quite a bit of crystal malt and decided it was just "wrong").

Cheers!

Thanks BigDave! Yea, I don't want to make it sweeter that's for sure. Ah, so much to think about. :cheer:

+1 to what Bigdave3124 said.

While this hobby is one in which the creative possibilities are endless, I can't help but think it's a bit of a mistake to take what is an already established recipe, designed to create a beer with a certain profile, and try to augment or change that profile.

It's sort of like taking a recipe for beef stroganoff, substituting (or adding) chicken, dumplings and cabbage, and wondering how close to Chop Suey it's going to be.

I'm all for experimenting and creative brewing. That's what the individual HMEs, UMEs, Liquid and Dry Malt Extracts, and the vast selection of grains, hops, yeasts, and adjuncts are for.

I only thump this tub because I've been down this road, and instead of helping my creativity with brewing, I feel it hampered it. I wasn't familiar enough with what I was working with to make good decisions. The Mr. Beer recipes, such as Pilothouse Pilsner, are sufficient unto themselves because they're made to be that way. I've come a longer way in a shorter time since stepping back and letting the recipes be the recipes.

That being said, it's your beer; your choice.

FedoraDave wrote:

+1 to what Bigdave3124 said.

While this hobby is one in which the creative possibilities are endless, I can't help but think it's a bit of a mistake to take what is an already established recipe, designed to create a beer with a certain profile, and try to augment or change that profile.

It's sort of like taking a recipe for beef stroganoff, substituting (or adding) chicken, dumplings and cabbage, and wondering how close to Chop Suey it's going to be.

I'm all for experimenting and creative brewing. That's what the individual HMEs, UMEs, Liquid and Dry Malt Extracts, and the vast selection of grains, hops, yeasts, and adjuncts are for.

I only thump this tub because I've been down this road, and instead of helping my creativity with brewing, I feel it hampered it. I wasn't familiar enough with what I was working with to make good decisions. The Mr. Beer recipes, such as Pilothouse Pilsner, are sufficient unto themselves because they're made to be that way. I've come a longer way in a shorter time since stepping back and letting the recipes be the recipes.

That being said, it's your beer; your choice.

True, true. But without experimentation we wouldn't have all these wonderful and wacky beers that microbreweries are producing today. But of course I want to know the the charateriatics of the Pilothouse beer before I would decide to tweak it. That's all I'm after right now. I'm just more into the darker beers and hoppier beers for my taste. :cheer:

Ikaika wrote:

True, true. But without experimentation we wouldn't have all these wonderful and wacky beers that microbreweries are producing today. But of course I want to know the the charateriatics of the Pilothouse beer before I would decide to tweak it. That's all I'm after right now. I'm just more into the darker beers and hoppier beers for my taste. :cheer:

Totally understood, and as I said, your beer; your choice.

You're also right about the many amazing varieties that the micros (and homebrewers, too, for that matter) are coming up with. But those "wonderful and wacky beer" are developed by brewmasters (and experienced homebrewers) who already have mastered the basics, intermediates, and a good deal of the advanced tenets of brewing. They're not mad scientists just tossing ingredients around chuckling to themselves about how they'll rule the world. They're applying a lot of science, experience, and previous knowledge to what they're doing.

Back to my cooking analogy, I was into Iron Chef USA for a while, and it always amazed me the dishes they'd come up with, all using the Secret Ingredient. But they wouldn't be there if they weren't equipped with the education and experience and knowledge of their craft. And sometimes a chef's unfamiliarity with a certain ingredient showed in their final results. They'd play it safe and fall back on a style or dish they knew, trying to adapt it to that ingredient. They rarely won, though.

My experience in mixing UMEs and HMEs I wasn't completely familiar with resulted in beer. Pretty good beer, sometimes. But when I wasn't completely pleased with what I'd made, I had no idea how to modify it, because I didn't know what it was that had made it the way it was. So I stepped back, and decided whenever I used Mr. Beer recipes (which I do on a regular basis), I would make the recipes straight, with no added anything. And now I find, when someone asks which UME might go well with a certain HME, I can come up with what I feel is a better answer, because I'm more familiar with the basic Mr. Beer extracts.

That's my only point. I'm not against experimentation, adding fruits and extracts, and getting creative. This would be a boring hobby if we limited ourselves. But blind experimentation with unfamiliar ingredients is like getting dressed in the dark, IMO.

swenocha wrote:

Listen to the Hat. The Hat is wise...

Very wise.

Pilothouse = an enigmatic brew. My notes from June '09 have the word 'grape' in them. No kidding. Batch 5 for me...
I remember how I thought something how had gone terribly wrong (I used the clear cider keg, too, in a cooler). Sanitation, temperatures, holy shmoly. The possible brewer errors were legion as this was only #5.

But it is a great beer by it's premium old self. If I was going to do one thing to improve it? I'd be dang sure to let it age for 6 weeks before I put one in the icebox. I mean, I'd sacrifice one to confirm carbonation, ya gotta, ya know?

Now I am going to have to try the Pilothouse. I usually do try the Premiums as is first, but have altered them with good results once I know how the stock recipe tastes. The ADIPA is a good example. I felt that the stock recipe was just ok. However by adding some DME and extra hops I have made an outstanding IPA.

LowTech wrote:

Pilothouse = an enigmatic brew. My notes from June '09 have the word 'grape' in them. No kidding. Batch 5 for me...
I remember how I thought something how had gone terribly wrong (I used the clear cider keg, too, in a cooler). Sanitation, temperatures, holy shmoly. The possible brewer errors were legion as this was only #5.

But it is a great beer by it's premium old self. If I was going to do one thing to improve it? I'd be dang sure to let it age for 6 weeks before I put one in the icebox. I mean, I'd sacrifice one to confirm carbonation, ya gotta, ya know?

Ah, the test bottle, yea that's it! Lol

I've made it two different ways, first way was 1 can Pilothouse 1 can Pale UME. The second time it was 2 cans of Pilothouse. My favorite way was Pilothouse + Pale UME. I found the Pilothouse + Pilothouse a little too grapefruity for my tastes.