Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brewlove

Quick question

Hi guys,

I put my first batch of wert in the keg with the cool water. The temp strip on the side still shows it as being too warm (78+). I heard the sweet spot to add the hops is around 70. Is it okay to let it sit and wait for the water to cool down further?

Thanks ahead of time!

I'm doing it the basic way that they show on the Mr. Beer tutorials. This is my first ever batch.

Basically I'm asking about pitching temperature. On the tutorials they said not to pitch it until the temp was near 70 because higher can cause bad taste and lower can slow down your fermentation.

Is it okay to wait until the water cools down enough to properly pitch the yeast?

Oh... we're talking yeast, not hops. That makes it less confusing. I'd try to get your temps down a bit more...

Cool, thanks!

As long as I know it won't hurt anything to wait until the temp goes down a little! :)

I've pitched yeast into numerous 80-82 degree batches and never had any problems.

Pitch the yeast, then cool the keg down.

brewlove wrote:

While we're on the subject, what's the best way to cool the keg down?

Wet towel, cookie sheet with ice cubes, fridge, cooler with frozen jugs...many different ways. Just be sure to keep the spigot clean and don't submerge it.

Colby wrote:

brewlove wrote:

While we're on the subject, what's the best way to cool the keg down?

Wet towel, cookie sheet with ice cubes, fridge, cooler with frozen jugs...many different ways. Just be sure to keep the spigot clean and don't submerge it.

I agree with all of these suggestions. I would recommend, though, just cooling the wort in the pot. Just make an ice bath in your sink, and drop your brew pot in it. Once it's cooled, then add it to the keg.

Question: Did you use cold water when you added the initial water to the keg? If I'm doing a straight Mr. B batch, I tend to refrigerate a couple gallons, adding one gallon before the wort, and topping off if necessary with the second one after the wort is added. When I've done that, the temp is usually spot on without the ice bath.

Yeah that was the problem. I didn't realize you needed refrigerated water until right before I brewed so the water wasn't cold enough. I got it cooled down and pitched the yeast at right around 70 - 71.

Next time I will get my water refrigerated ahead of time! lol

Thanks to everyone who gave advice! I'm proud to have my first batch in the keg!

If you refrigerate the water that's first added to the keg, you'll end up with around 60F wort if I remember right....I only did that once and it delayed the fermentation action a little. You can't go wrong either way.