Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
cfoley24

Chocolate Covered Cherries - Disaster!

Hi all - I brewed a Choc. Covered Cherries batch last night using the exact instructions. However, today, tragedy struck. The fermenter started 'hissing' and then an hour later (because I had no idea what the noise was), it was ready to explode. It leaked, but did not fully explode (still a messy proposition though). My thoughts is that the purre'd Oregon Cherries clogged the breathing aspect of the fermenter, causing no air to escape. Has anyone experienced this with the fruity brews? I have an Irish Stout going and it seems to be fine. :(

Untwist the lid, clean out the vents, screw the lid back on. I usually use a sanitizer dipped qtip or towel for the cleanup.

Did it look something like this?

4993882989_82f6567146_b.jpg

Mine wasn't a fruit brew (and IPA, actually), but fruit beers are known to have that happen on a much higher frequency...

Looks like a fermentation fountain. Had one using some Cooper's yeast but my CCC did not over react.
You might want to give it another try 'cause the brew is good but it takes 4 to 6 months to condition.

swenocha wrote:

Untwist the lid, clean out the vents, screw the lid back on. I usually use a sanitizer dipped qtip or towel for the cleanup.

YIKES!!! Oh my! Reminds me of my first batch in a 5-gallon bucket. Woke up in the morning with Irish Stout suds ALL OVER my kitchen floor and the lid 3 feet from the bucket.

My St. Nick's Midnight Ale did the same thing, blew the lid off even after loosening it a full turn because it was hissing. After cleaning the lid off I just set it on top but the krausen kept pushing like a playdough fun factory !
beer_volcano_004-20110110.jpg

swenocha wrote:

swen,
I thought you stopped putting your fermenters near where you were working with drywall mud?

ClaymoreCharlie wrote:

Stoutmeister wrote:

Another good reason to add fruit to the secondary...learned that the hard way.

What do you mean by secondary?

After a number of days many brewers will transfer their fermenting beer from the original fermenter such as your Mr.Beer keg (the primary) to another fermenter (the secondary) to finish the fermenting process. What this does is gets the young beer off of the developing yeast cake and trub that is forming on the bottom. Doing so can reduce off flavors from forming and can dramatically lengthen the amount of time before it has to be bottled. It is a technique that can be very beneficial but is not necessary.