Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
beerfanfrombuffalo

Airlock Question

So I brewed my 5 gal batch of Scottish Ale Saturday night and I just checked my airlock for activity...only tiny bubbles in there not going crazy like my 1st 5gal batch i did. SHould I buy another pack of yeast or do you think its fine?
Thanks guys!

no--my last 5 gallon batch of stout went insanely crazy and some came out of the airlock, next batch I did was a pumpkin ale and it had little activity unlike the stout did, but it came out great!! Just depends on how much fermentables you got in there which makes the yeast go a little more crazy than others, and some yeasts cannot handle high alcohol beers, so you might need to cough up some $$ to buy a real good yeast.

From my limited experience (3 5gal Batches) it pretty much like MRB batches. Sometimes you get bunches of activity and some times trub slowly shows up on the bottom. The airlock has worked the same one batch a ton of bubbles and the next fewer but bubbled more days.

Are you going to rack to a secondary? If so wait the normal 7-10 and take a reading when you rack. If its still fairly high you could pitch a small amount of yeast then.

it you lid is not completely air tight you will not see any or ver little signs of fermentation. There are tow schools on sealing the some do so don't. I am of the latter school after coming home from work and finding the lid blown off the fermentor and krusen all over the shower walls!

Without knowing your SG and pitching procedure, it's hard to say. Most of the authors I've read highly recommend rehydrating dry yeast or doing a yeast starter for liquid yeast, particularly if you have a high gravity beer (like many Scotch ales). With dry yeast, evidently a high sugar content in solution can impede the hydration that the yeast cell walls need in order to ramp up their reproductive cycle. 36 hours + seems like a fairly long lag time, so that would be my first thought. As long as you are careful with sanitation, adding yeast won't hurt, and would probably be helpful (again, without knowing how much you pitched to begin with) if you don't see more action soon. Another thing I do that seems to help me get off to a quick ferment is to shake the heck out of the fermenter after I pitch the yeast. I think a really good shake for 45-60 seconds does a much better job than whisking, although I realize that not everyone is up to shaking 40 to 48 pounds of liquid (and it's too late in your case anyway).
Good luck.

Here is the yeast I used: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale (smack pack kind)...OG was 1.050 and the temp in my basement is 65 degrees. Just came home from work and checked it and its still the same...tiny bubbles not going crazy.

If you have tiny bubbles and trub forming I wouldn't sweat it.

Sometimes I get krausen and lots of visible activity and sometimes I get no krausen or visible signs. But, I always get beer.

beerfanfrombuffalo wrote:

I just checked the airlock and WOW is it going nuts!! Im very happy to see that!

Wow! A little delayed reaction, huh? Glad to hear it.......Nice avatar.

packerduf wrote:

beerfanfrombuffalo wrote:

I just checked the airlock and WOW is it going nuts!! Im very happy to see that!

Wow! A little delayed reaction, huh? Glad to hear it.......Nice avatar.

Yeah tell me about it :laugh: and thank you about the avatar...I hope we win.