Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jims Brew

Moon Man

Hi Brew Buddies,

I'm new to Mr.Beer and interested in manking my own home brew like New Glarus MOON MAN. Anyone have a home recipe or know of a Mr.Beer recipe that would be similar to Moon Man?

Moon Man is pretty delicately flavored for a Pale Ale with 35 IBU's according to the lady who answers the phone. Doubling up the Classic American Blonde Ale, or the Cowboy Golden Lager along with a bag of booster would probably get you a reasonable approximation of the body, ABV, and bitterness of the Moon Man. Moon Man also makes liberal use of aroma hops, I'm not certain which, but I think Cascades would give you a good approximation. I'd use a full oz. added when you mix your LME's into the hot water, and leave them in for the entire fermentation. I think that will get you close.

Thanks for a good place to start. Wondering if your recommendation is to use two of the same extract two CABAs or two CGL? 1 HME and the other an UME, or do you mean one of each? Also any recommendations on the Hops boil? Yeast recommendation?

Starter Recipe (for tweaking)
1 Classic American Blonde Ale HME or Cowboy Golden Lager HME
1 Classic American Blonde Ale UME or Cowboy Golden Lager UME
(or a combination of 1can each flavor? )
1 Booster
1oz. Cascade Hops - pellet?
2 Mr.B Yeast pkgs or (Recommend?)

Follow MrB instructions for advance multi can recipe.

What do you think of this hop schedule adding to booster and UME?
1/2 oz of Cascade for 15-20 min -Flavor
1/2 oz of Cascade for 5-10 min -Aroma
Than finish with adding the HME after flame out
Follow Mr.B instructions.

Unless a lot has changed, there is no classic american blonde ale "UME" or cowboy golden lager "UME". As Both are HOPPED malt extracts. Just the Creamy Brown, Golden Wheat, Mellow Amber or Pale Export UME. Or am I missing something here?

Forgive the newbie....
Looking at all the recipes out there I guess I got stuck on the HME,UME combos. Lets just stick with the HME extracts since they exist. Would I use 2 cans of either extract Classic American Blonde Ale, or the Cowboy Golden Lager or mix one of each?

As it was being said up there, they're sticking with ONE type of HME. But if you're going to add a Hop boil, It wouldn't hurt to use one pound of Light DME/LME ...(or get a can of pale export ume to boil the hops in. It will just be that 7 min hop boil as they're talking "Aroma".

Moon Man is great, as is almost everything from New Glarus :) It's great to be a Wisconsinite!

Here's a link to a hop schedule for a 5 gallon batch for a Moon Man clone. I have never heard of some of these, but maybe some of the more experienced borg can help out...

Well first, both of those HME's are said by MB to have 18 IBU's, so I figured two HME's, either one or the other, or together to get the right bitterness level. While the deluxe refill recipe for the Cowboy lager says it is hoppy, and the Blonde ale says it is balanced, they both have the same IBU's according to the MB website. I prefer doing my own hopping, so I have to confess to not having used the HME's in quite some time. I don't really recall how they differ, so maybe someone else could weigh in on that one. In any event I figured that using two together gets you the right bitterness, and they both seemed to give you the same color. Adding the booster will thin the malt profile a bit, and give you very close to the right ABV. If you were to add a UME instead of the booster, you would wind up a bit stronger (probably in the neighborhood of 6% ABV instead of 5%), with a bit more body and less perceived bitterness. In that event you could do a hop boil with the UME of whatever length you prefer, depending upon how bitter you like it.

As to bittering in your boil, you won't get much until you've boiled for half an hour or more. If you've downloaded QBrew, it will give you a good sense of what to expect. There are a couple different schools of thought regarding flavor and aroma. One of them, embodied by this chart:
http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

shows the most aroma after about 7 minutes boiling, and the most flavor after about 22 minutes. A couple of my texts largely (one exception is Palmer's "How To Brew", which very much agrees with the chart) disagree, showing the most aroma at zero minutes (essentially a couple minutes steeping after turning off the heat), and rapidly diminishing after. Most of the recipes in my books recommend a hop aroma boil of between 0 and 3 minutes. They indicate maximum flavor extraction at 15 minutes. I tend to agree with the shorter boil times, but opinions here vary. You'll have to experiment yourself and see where you stand on that subject.

Edit: Moon Man's website indicates that they use roughly 1 ounce hops per gallon for dry hopping. So you would want to add another ounce more at flame out, or when you pitch your yeast, or when your krausen dies down than I initially indicated. It's thought that you will get better use of your hops when dry hopping by adding after the krausen falls.

Allot to take in and digest. Will have to sit down with a brew and sort out a recipe game plan. Once I have that tweaked I’ll post it and keep all posted on the outcome.
Thanks for all the guidance.
Happy Brewing

When dry hopping during fermentation do you use a sanitized muslin hop sack? Do you sanitize the hops too? (probably not)

tesilential wrote -

When dry hopping during fermentation do you use a sanitized muslin hop sack?

Yes - unless you're doing a hop boil with it. Then the boiling takes care of the sanitizing.

Do you sanitize the hops too? (probably not)

Right - if you're measuring out less than a pouch, be sure to sanitize whatever they come in contact with. Other than that, they're clean as a whistle!!