Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
WildWill

Anyone brewed a Bewitched Red Ale X2?

Looking for a fairly strong red ale recipe using the basic ingredients. I was thinking:

Bewitched Red Ale X2
Booster X1

:huh:

Anyone here done one of those? What was it like? Thoughts?

I've doubled up on HME several times, all with great results. The combo of 2 Bewitched Red and a booster will definitely work.

I have added a pound of unhopped malt extract instead of booster and steeped some crystal grains and come up with some real winners.

I find the BRA to be a real sweet malt so if the recipe were happening right now in my kitchen I would probably boil some hops for bitterness and flavor. About 7 grams each of your choice of hops. But that's just me.

Brew on and let us know the outcome. To be sure, you will have a fine beer. After you bottle, let the beer age for a while before you put a real dent in it. The longer the better.... :stout:

I have done the BRA X2 + booster when I was using up the Harbor Freight bonanza. IIRC it turned out very good, darker than red and on the malty side. It was what I had at the time, so it is what I used. If you can wait for a Mr Beer order or make it to a LHBS get some more malt and make it as usual.

I have Mr. Beer here in town about 20 minutes from my house so I can just grab-n-go without waiting for or paying for shipping. B)

I'm wanting to do a nice red so I'm planning my next brew that I should be able to do in about 2 weeks or so. :cheer:

One of my favorite recipes uses BRA x 2

2 cans Bewitched Red Ale
1 lb light or amber DME
1 cup brown sugar

.25 oz Cascade 30 min boil
.25 oz Citra 20 min boil
.25 oz Williamette 10 min

The last time I brewed this I also steeped .25 lb of carapils and .25 lb of crystal 20L for 30 minutes at 150 degrees. If you are not up for steeping grains yet my previous batch was great without the steep

This one has an ABV of 7.5% and IBU of 33

docpd wrote:

One of my favorite recipes uses BRA x 2

2 cans Bewitched Red Ale
1 lb light or amber DME
1 cup brown sugar

.25 oz Cascade 30 min boil
.25 oz Citra 20 min boil
.25 oz Williamette 10 min

The last time I brewed this I also steeped .25 lb of carapils and .25 lb of crystal 20L for 30 minutes at 150 degrees. If you are not up for steeping grains yet my previous batch was great without the steep

This one has an ABV of 7.5% and IBU of 33

Saved that recipe, thanks for sharing!

I'm an adventurous sort that is not afraid to jump in so the steeping part "don't skeer me none".

Looks delicious, by the way. yum.gif