Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brewlove

Temp question

Hi guys, I know this has probably been covered somewhere on the forums but I thought I would ask.

I've had my first ever batch of WCPA in the fermenter for a few days. The temp in the room where I keep it stays between 67 - 70, but when I checked the temp on the temp strip it said 64.

Is 64 too cold or am I okay?

I had planned on leaving it in at least 14 days. With that temp do you think I should wait an extra few?

I may also pick up a hydrometer before bottling day.

I believe the proper temp is 68 to 76 degrees, If it possible to move your keg to raise the temp a few degrees that would help and maybe let it ferment a few days longer also

Hey brewlove,

I had the same concern. My my first batch of WCPA has been fermenting for 2 weeks at an even lower temp...below 62.

Based on some answers I received, you should be ok. However, you should probably let it ferment for 3 full weeks just to make sure it's done. The yeast will work at that temp, but it will be a slower fermentation, which some people prefer. Mine was not intentional...I just didnt have a thermometer until recently.

If you wanted to try and bring the temp up a bit, you could place it in a cooler with warm bottles of water, or even cover it with a warm blanket. But from what I have been told, 64 probably isn't that bad.

Hope this helps.

64 is a great temperature for fermentation IMO, even with the MB yeast. No worries. But at that temperature, I prefer to ferment a full 3 weeks.....just to be sure the yeast has completely finished its work.

My kegs are in my basement, which is around 62 degrees, even right next to the heater and under a blanket. (I live near Chicago.)
I let my batches go 19-21 days in the keg, and they've been fine.

I kind of had a similar experience with my fermentor. Mine dropped to 64 and just as a precaution, I put a towel over the top of it and placed it in a cooler. The temp has stayed consistently around 67 degrees.

I knew it wasn't necessary, but I figured why not give it a try and see what happens. A good learning experience...that happen to work and kept the fermentor in the happy temp range. :laugh: Happy Brewing

Thanks for all the advice you guys!

This forum rocks and you guys are a great help for us newbies!

When I finally get this batch finished I will hoist a mug in the air for all of you!

You'll be fine. Most yeast seems to work 'better' and the lower end of their ranges (meaning they get less stressed and throw off less esters).

Sounds like 1 of your thermometers is off. How can the keg be 64 if the room is 67-70? At any rate you should be fine.

bpgreen wrote:

...The drawback to the stick-ons I bought is they only go down to 64 and I like to brew a bit lower than that, so I just try to keep the temperature too cool to register and only worry if the beer doesn't start fermenting....

Midwest Supplies sell the Dual Scale Liquid Thermometers that have a range of 39-81 degrees. They are on-sale right now for $1.25.

Thermometer.jpg

packerduf wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

...The drawback to the stick-ons I bought is they only go down to 64 and I like to brew a bit lower than that, so I just try to keep the temperature too cool to register and only worry if the beer doesn't start fermenting....

Midwest Supplies sell the Dual Scale Liquid Thermometers that have a range of 39-81 degrees. They are on-sale right now for $1.25.

Thermometer.jpg

Woohoo!

In for two. Used cheapest shipping and started adding Nottingham and US-05 yeast since the shipping didn't change.

Thanks for that. Temperatures will be going up soon, and 64 will work, but these will come in handy.

Good find!

bpgreen wrote:

ZiggyZag wrote:

What type of Thermometer can we attach to Keg?

I've been considering poking a thermometer through the top the way Screwy Brewer.
Sounds interseting. Are you saying just get one of those meat thermometers that have a probe thats 6 or 7 inches long and just poke it through the lid of the keg so that the probe is in the wort? Any pics of this set up?

ZiggyZag wrote:

What type of Thermometer can we attach to Keg?

Mr Beer sells one they call the BrewOMeter. I got some fish tank stick-on thermometers in the pet dept at WalMart.

The drawback to the stick-ons I bought is they only go down to 64 and I like to brew a bit lower than that, so I just try to keep the temperature too cool to register and only worry if the beer doesn't start fermenting.

I've been considering poking a thermometer through the top the way Screwy Brewer does since I have some probe thermometers that measure much lower temps.

Guest System Admin

bpgreen wrote:

I've been considering poking a thermometer through the top the way Screwy Brewer does since I have some probe thermometers that measure much lower temps.

This is what I do. It works pretty sweet! Lots more accurate that stick ons.

Yes, that is exactly the idea!

Check out this link to another post. It contains a link to Screwy Brewers site where there is an explanation for how to do this.

http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=8&id=125097

I actually plan on spending some time this weekend setting up my 3 kegs this way. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.