Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mnstarzz13

Not All Pry-Offs Are Created Equal

I received some Dos Equis bottles from my buddy a week ago and used 3 when bottling batch #1. I found it quite difficult to cap these. They are pry-off bottles and the cap sat on it properly. However when I used my newly purchased Red Barron Bottle Capper, I found it slipping or popping up just when I though it was going to clamp down all the way. I went thru 3 -4 caps per bottle before I got a good seal. And even then it was ever so slightly crooked.

Today, I picked up some Michelob Original Lager bottles from my local bar. Before wasting any effort in cleaning, I did a test with the capper to see if it were any easier. Wow! So much easier. It was then I compared the two side by side and noticed the heads were different. The capper needs the wider head on it to clamp on to to keep it from riding up and popping off prematurely....see the differences below and be sure you get ones more similar to the brown bottle if you are looking for freebies. I just hope thee 3 greenies I did use hold the carb!

mic.jpg

dos-equis.jpg

Ahh, the dreaded 'double lip'. Those things are evil if you're using a wing capper...

Guest System Admin

swen do you know of any other brands that won't cap right.

I've gotten a few double lip bottles like this. All have been imports, I believe. I know Bass (and I think some of the Guinness bottles) are like this.

swenocha wrote:

I think some of the Guinness bottles)

Thats good to know as I am waiting on some from my bro. Thx!

I think it may have been the Foreign Extra Stout, but don't quote me on that. I know I have gotten some varieties of Guinness that are the standard looking tops. Know that a bench capper won't have problems with these...

True but I think this list just says they CAN be capped but does not take into consideration if they can be capped by a wing style capper. They can all be capped by a bench capper. I see Bass on the list but swen believes they are 'double lip'.

Something to consider if you use a wing style capper...

My bench capper has been my single best investment since buying my first Mr Beer kit. I absolutely hated my wing capper. That thing made bottling a nightmare. It broke 3 bottles unexpectedly. And I was always afraid the bottom of the bottle would slide out from under it while capping. Not to mention how much more difficult it was to use than my bench capper. When doing a batch of 50 bottles that really added up.

Gymrat wrote:

My bench capper has been my single best investment since buying my first Mr Beer kit. I absolutely hated my wing capper. That thing made bottling a nightmare. It broke 3 bottles unexpectedly. And I was always afraid the bottom of the bottle would slide out from under it while capping. Not to mention how much more difficult it was to use than my bench capper. When doing a batch of 50 bottles that really added up.

The only reason i chose the wing capper was that they suggested permanently fixing the bench capper to a work bench, which I do not have. Do you do this? It seems one could just move it around but didnt wanna put extra $$ in something that would not have worked properly.

I never permanently fixed mine and it works just fine. If it would make you feel better you could always attach it to a small square piece of plywood to give it more stability. But I have never found that to be an issue.

Gymrat wrote:

I never permanently fixed mine and it works just fine. If it would make you feel better you could always attach it to a small square piece of plywood to give it more stability. But I have never found that to be an issue.

good to know! Thanks. I think if I stick with the right type of bottle and have a helping hand, which I always will, the winger should do the trick. If I get a 2nd fermenter and start to crank more out, I totally see how the bench one would be easier.

:cheers:

Felt like I needed to do a little investigative research. I had put the suspect bottles in a box, so I just dug them out. Here are the three types of bottles that have given me capping problems with the wing capper:

5357997193_204c45f94e_z.jpg

You'll note that the taller one on the left is definitely a Bass bottle (it has the Bass logo raised in the glass). The smooth edged one in the center is a Guinness bottle (Extra Stout, I believe, after looking at the labels on my beer fridge. Definitely not Draught, as they are in the tall bottles with the Smoothifier insert). You'll note that the Guinness (and, to a lesser degree the Bass bottle) is kind of a tweener... it looks like a shortened version of a standard top, but it still caused me some bottle headaches. The one on the right is the mystery, and it was the worst of the bottling problems in my case (with the Bass being second). The only stubbies I can remember buying outside the Guinness is Sierra Nevada (which has a normal top), Founders (ditto), Boulevard (nope... screw-top...), and Yazoo (ditto). Hmm... what was in that third bottle?!? If I had to guess, I'd say it was some one-off I got in a mixer sixer, but I don't know...

swenocha wrote:

they are in the tall bottles with the Smoothifier insert.

Speaking of the smoothifier insert, these are removable and the bottles can be utilized, correct?

swenocha wrote:

Bottle is reusable, and the widget is easily removed with needle-nose pliers.

Super! Thanks!

4291635551_f38f375759_z.jpg

I bought some hornsbys hard cider the other day and although it IS pry off it has a twist off bottles.... man was I disappointed. Pry off in a twist off bottle should be illegal haha

tmed wrote:

I bought some hornsbys hard cider the other day and although it IS pry off it has a twist off bottles.... man was I disappointed. Pry off in a twist off bottle should be illegal haha

Maybe they ordered the wrong bottles at the bottling plant like Dogfish Head did in BrewMasters. (Dogfish ended up not selling those though)

mnstarzz13 wrote:

tmed wrote:

Maybe they ordered the wrong bottles at the bottling plant like Dogfish Head did in BrewMasters. (Dogfish ended up not selling those though)

They probably shouldn't have, there is some black gunk stuck in the threads.... I may call the company just for shits and giggles and maybe free products? Hey it never hurts. I just poured them into a mug and drank them. Hey I'm not dead so I guess its all good haha

tmed wrote:

They probably shouldn't have, there is some black gunk stuck in the threads.... I may call the company just for shits and giggles and maybe free products? Hey it never hurts. I just poured them into a mug and drank them. Hey I'm not dead so I guess its all good haha

I would! I have done this before with products (my sons baby formula was expired but still on the shelf) and the manufacturer sent a hand full of certificates for new formula.

swenocha wrote:

Ahh, the dreaded 'double lip'. Those things are evil if you're using a wing capper...

Exfugginzactlty. It can be done, but better of shit cannin' them and getting better bottles. The Mich bottles look good. My best all around bottle is Sammies, for the bottles and for the label glue that runs away the second it catches a glimpse of oxyclean.

I had a few friends helping me build up my supply of beer bottles. They kept bringing me bottle after bottle, asking "can you use this one? or how bout this one?" And after reading the borg, I read about the double rim bottle. And if it didn't read it, I would have tried to wing cap it.

Oh, I took all their donated bottles, greatly appreciated, and had to decline the one double rim bottle.

Gods country brewer wrote:

Anybody have any luck with Sierra Nevada bottles ?

Yep... The glue is a bit funky and I had to work it a bit more than normal, but it was really not bad after the oxy bath. Labels came off pretty easy.

Guest System Admin

i think there are a few abita brands that may have the double lip

Can you look at a bottle while @ the store and tell whether its twist or pry. Haven't looked, just wondering if you could see the threads on a twist off. I have bought and capped twist offs until I was recently educated on the problems that I may incur (Swen I think you were part of that education). I have also recently bought a few 6 packs that I assumed were pry's but alas, they weren't (probably wouldn't have tried em had I known, Leinenkugle's Honey Weiss, :X ).

You can see the threads if you look close, and the cap many times says twist off with an arrow...

egger_twist_off.jpg
Miller-Lite.jpg
Killians_Pin_1_thumb200.jpg

yeah, I meant to add besides the writing on the cap, but I will definitely start looking for the threads. I can always just resort to the good ole Sam Adams line, seem to cap fine and the labels come off pretty easily with a good soak.

Some twist off caps have a whole lot more of the crimps in them, like twice as many. Others you can detect by looking at the cap from the side. You can see if the crimps have a slanted impression that mimics the threads of the glass...Not hard to miss.

I harvested about 8 of the Sierra Nevada 12 packs. The labels simply float away after an OxyFree soak but the adhesive is tenacious.
The bottle height is perfect for the top shelf of my fridge...It doesn't hurt harvesting anything made by SN, either. Painless.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

tmed wrote:

I would! I have done this before with products (my sons baby formula was expired but still on the shelf) and the manufacturer sent a hand full of certificates for new formula.

Well I called them today, was suppose to be twist off. But they had rust or sugar in the threads so they are sending me a check for $7.99. I will use that for a beer w pry offs. Good cider and all but I want to pay for the bottles not the contents so much. B)

Uh, yeah, I seem to remember I ran into that similar problem, I better give them a call as well! Blank gunk on the threads was it?! ;)

tmed wrote:

Well I called them today, was suppose to be twist off. But they had rust or sugar in the threads so they are sending me a check for $7.99. I will use that for a beer w pry offs. Good cider and all but I want to pay for the bottles not the contents so much. B)

Score! It literally does pay!

DCEssig wrote:

Uh, yeah, I seem to remember I ran into that similar problem, I better give them a call as well! Blank gunk on the threads was it?! ;)

Yup. I did still drink and I'm still alive. Just either rust or sugar residue but yeah..
:PIMAG0162.jpg

Guest System Admin

has anyone ever recapped the carlsberg elephant bottles before???

One of these?

Looks like a double rim? May be hard with a regular clamp capper. but ive never had it nor tried to cap it. any good? 1295488636366.jpg

TMed wrote:

One of these?

Looks like a double rim? May be hard with a regular clamp capper. but ive never had it nor tried to cap it. any good? images-20110119.jpegimages-20110119-2.jpeg

Image post FAIL !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

it took me awhile to figure that at too....

Guest System Admin

swenocha wrote:

?????????? :huh:

patlovesbeer wrote:

TMed wrote:

One of these?

Looks like a double rim? May be hard with a regular clamp capper. but ive never had it nor tried to cap it. any good? images-20110119.jpegimages-20110119-2.jpeg

Image post FAIL !!!!!!!!!!! :lol :

LOL smiley fail!!!!!! :P

I got it fixed, posting it on my HTC evo haha

Guest System Admin

TMed wrote:

patlovesbeer wrote:

TMed wrote:

One of these?

Image post FAIL !!!!!!!!!!! :lol :

LOL smiley fail!!!!!! :P

I got it fixed, posting it on my HTC evo haha

I know what up on the smiley fail....eye for an eye my friend ! :)

it just looks like the elephant is a little doublish to me ???? :unsure:

Made in Mexico beer bottles won't cap properly? Are we surprised? Made in the USA or Canada(and a union brewery) preferred.

Pacifico also has the double lip. I bought a case of the 7 oz bottles thinking I could use them as testers for each batch. Still have them so when I upgrade to a bench capper I'll be able to use them

Guest System Admin

New Glarus Brewing Company
Ale Asylum
•Anchor
•Bass
•Becks
•Bell's
•Beck's
•Big sky
•Birra moretti
•Boulder
•Breckenridge
•Bridgeport
•Brooklyn Brewery
•Bud American Ale
•Butte Creek
•Carlsberg
•Crown Lager
•Dicks
•Dogfish Head
•Deschutes
•Eel River
•Firehouse
•Firestation 5
•Fishtale
•Flying Dog
•Great Divide
•Great Lakes
•Grolsch
•Green Flash
•Guiness - Some have double lip (extra Stout)
•Hacker Pschorr
•Hair of the Dog
•Harpoon
•Heineken
•HoeGaarden
•Kona
•Lakefront Brewery
•Magic Hat
•Michelob Premiums
•Negro Modello
•New Belgium
•New Castle