Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
paytonrules

Can you ferment too long?

Today is supposed to be my bottling day - I loaded up the kit two weeks ago - but unfortunately I've come down with a nasty cold. I doubt it's a good idea for me to try and bottle (umm...snotty beer) but I'm not sure I'll be able to bottle then until next weekend. Is that gonna be okay?

From what ive been reading on here 14-21 days is the sweet spio.

I've got my first batch of Cowboy whatever sitting in the fermenter. I thought a week was what the instructions said, then a week in the bottle. Should I give it another week in the keg?

To be honest, I'm not sure it will work anyways. My kit was a year old. I'm afraid the yeast might not have been good still. Also, the booster was all clumpy even though I cooked and stirred until it all dissolved.

sjlocke wrote:

I've got my first batch of Cowboy whatever sitting in the fermenter. I thought a week was what the instructions said, then a week in the bottle. Should I give it another week in the keg?

To be honest, I'm not sure it will work anyways. My kit was a year old. I'm afraid the yeast might not have been good still. Also, the booster was all clumpy even though I cooked and stirred until it all dissolved.

The general rule of thumb is 2-2-2. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating and then 2 weeks conditioning. The 2 weeks carbing and 2 weeks conditioning are both done in the bottle at room temp, so its really 2-4. 2 weeks in the fermenter and 4 weeks in the bottle.

If you have a layer of trub on the bottom of the keg, then it is working.

I would think as long as you got all of the booster dissolved it should be fine. I think it is basically just sugar and should have a shelf life of more then a year.

sjlocke wrote:

If u want your beer to taste like cider then go for it. I would ferment for 2 weeks handle sit in bottle for 4 weeks for a better product

The only thing I would have had concerns about related to the one year old kit is the yeast (unless the can was expired). The boosted dissolved, so it's fine. If you have trub, then it will likely be fine. Stick to the at least two weeks in the fermenter (as others have suggested)...

The can was to expire sometime in 2011, so that was ok. Also, even though I let the can sit in hot water and tried to spoon it all out, once it sat, there was some left at the bottom. Will watch for that next time.

Ok, I'll let it sit another week before bottling. I'm going to get another keg so I can do more than one at once.