Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dave c

water amount

was wondering what amount of water most use when doing hop boils. am doing 2 1/2 gal batch with mr beer hme and 1lb dme. if doing 40-60 min hop boil how much water is usually used? basic recipes call for 4 cups but know i will need more due to evaporation during hop boil. have tried 4 1/2 to 6 cups but was just wondering what others do. am on about my 20th batch and have not had an undrinkable one yet. wife bought me kit as gift and now says she hass created a monster. cheers!

I tried my first DME with 4 cups water and it was a disaster. Since then I've been using 2-3 quarts in my boils. I did one recently with 2 lbs of DME and used 4 Qts. It has made it a much better experience. Plus I got a bigger pot which made things a lot better as well. Good luck and welcome aboard dave c!

Use 2 gal for your initial boil. Do not add the HME until flame as boiling will alter the flavor of the HME

yea knew hme goes in after boil. just worried that too much water would dilute flavor. thanx.

Yea, I agree with Jerry. When making Mr. Beer size batches I never use anything less than 2 gallons. No such thing as diluting the batch. At some point the water is going into the keg so why not with the boil than top off with less water. Boiling with more water also helps with extracting more out of the hops.

Welcome to the beerborg information center. you will be assimilated. resistance is quite futile: we have beer.

Seems the question has been answered.