Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rgstinebaugh

NEED HELP! ANYONE EVER TRY THIS?

has anyone every bought canned cherries from the store to use instead of the Can Dark Sweet Cherries in Heavy Syrup that comes with the brews here. Is that just the same as marinchino cherries?

Well at kroger they sell the same Oregon canned fruit.

rgstinebaugh wrote:

has anyone every bought canned cherries from the store to use instead of the Can Dark Sweet Cherries in Heavy Syrup that comes with the brews here. Is that just the same as marinchino cherries?

TOTALLY different dude. I made my Cherry Wheat with both and IMO the marinchino cherries were better....a nice sweet taste where as the cherries that came with the kit where a bit tart. But again thats my opinion.

beerfanfrombuffalo wrote:

rgstinebaugh wrote:

TOTALLY different dude. I made my Cherry Wheat with both and IMO the marinchino cherries were better....a nice sweet taste where as the cherries that came with the kit where a bit tart. But again thats my opinion.

I wondered about using marichino cherries, but thought maybe too sweet? Sounds like not. How much malt did you use?

I got a can of pitted red tart cherries in water and am wondering if i need to make some heavy syrup (basically adding sugar) just leaving it the way it is

rgstinebaugh wrote:

Interesting. I made a beer with a can of cherries in it and after 6 weeks or so, there was quite a bit of tartness. May have to try merinchino cherries next time.

FrozenInTime wrote:

rgstinebaugh wrote:

I wondered about using marichino cherries, but thought maybe too sweet? Sounds like not. How much malt did you use?

I just used this kit:
Cupid's Cherry Crush Lager
MAKES APPROX. 2 GALLONS OF BEER IN ABOUT 4 WEEKS TIME.
Suggested lager time is 2 weeks.

Rich and fruity, this deep red, lightly malty brew starts sweet and warms you up. It features delicate wheat combined with pale malts and cherries.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Whispering Wheat Weizenbier HME
1 Can Pale Export UME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 Can Dark Sweet Cherries in Heavy Syrup
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

I just replaced the can of cherries with a jar of marichino cherries...came out fantastic!