Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Runebeast

Keg in a Cooler

Seen several of you talk about placing the keg in a cooler both with and without ice packs. My problem is I have a VERY small house and the only place to put the keg where it is out of sunlight and away from my 2 boys who will undoubtedly atleast knock the keg over once, is down my my basement/cellar. My house is 100+ years old and the basement/cellar is not finished and in all honesty is quite filthy, tons of spider webs and the like all over there. I'm not sure of the temps down there, so I thought about putting the keg in a cooler and placing that in my closet. Is this a good idea? Do I keep the cooler closed all the time? I know I have to watch the temp of the wort in the cooler. Thoughts please.

By the way I'm addicted to this board...and hortly the brewing process and the beer. MUWAHAHAHA!

I'm a closet brewer. Had to move a bunch of shoes out of there to make room for MrB kegs and bottles that are carbing.

Keeping it closed it likely the best route but it really depends on your temps.

So just monitor the temp in order to see if I need to keep it open/closed or with ice packs, and if it's open check it on occasion to make sure my cat hasn't past out in the cooler from sucking down fermentation fumes. :woohoo:

I too am a closet brewer. Well actually I use my wifes closet because hers is warmer than mine, plus it gives her clothes a slight beer smell that should be bottled and sold as perfume.

I put my fermenter in the cooler along with a thermometer. In the summer time I have to use frozen water bottles to keep the temperatures around 66-68* (I live in S. Korea and it is ridiculously expensive to use the airconditioner). In the winter time it stays around 66* inside the cooler.

I have used a 48 and a 60 quart cooler to ferment. I bought an electronic aquarium thermometer probe that I painter-tape to the side of the keg below the liquid line to monitor temps. The probe lead is long enough to let me set the digital readout on the lid and thin enough that the lid can close but not crimp the lead.
Mostly I rotate ice bottles or frozen gel packs to keep the temps below 70F. Once in a while I have to use a microwavable heating pad to get the temps back up if they start getting close to 60F.

I'm in Guam and have my keg in a cooler with ice bottles atm.. my temps go up and down... anywhere from 68 to 74... lol.... I have a digital thermo set in there right next to the keg to monitor and it seems to be ok... swappin the bottles out every morning and before bed kinda blows but hey.. I'm brewing my own beer tho...

Wally World sells a thermomiter set for outside/inside temps. in this picture, you can see the read out portion. the other bit is inside the keg'n ater.
030110Page23mix010.jpg

only if the record was played backwards far enough to get his house, dog and job back. Then he could relax with his dawg in his house drinking a nice cold one.