Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brewlove

Oxy Clean to clean fermenter?

Hi all,

My first batch has fermented for 19 days and I took a taste today and decided it's time to bottle. I plan on bottling either tomorrow or Saturday. My question is this: I've heard you mention Oxy Free, is that the same thing as Oxy Clean and is that the best cleaner for the fermenter?

As usual thanks ahead of time!

Guest System Admin

I thought this myself not too long ago, I use OxyClean Chlorine Free powder and it seems to do the trick.

Keep an eye out... I think they will post a picture of it on here not long from now. It's Oxyclean Free that we use. It's a soap poweder. we put about 1/4 scoop or so in the keg, fill it, and let it soak. After it soaks for a few hours or a day, use a real soft cloth and wipe around in there. Then, you'll want to clean the spigot too, so pull it out, and toss it in the remainder of the oxy clean. If you don't, you may wind up with this in your next brew:

010310spigot002.jpg

@ Yankeedag Ewww. I definitely don't want that! So Oxyclean Free huh? Can I pick that up at Walmart or somewhere similar?

The reason I ask is of course the minute I get done bottling that batch I want to clean the fermenter and load up another batch!

@ Yankeedag Ewww. I definitely don't want that! So Oxyclean Free huh? Can I pick that up at Walmart or somewhere similar?

The reason I ask is of course the minute I get done bottling that batch I want to clean the fermenter and load up another batch!

swenocha wrote:

Products%5C57037-51740.jpg

swenocha I'm a long time One-Step user who just bought a tub of OxiClean FREE, my question is how many tablespoons per gallon should we be using?

Much like Dag, I usually use 1/4 scoop for about two gallons in the fermenter to leave for a soak overnight after cleaning out the trub. Then after giving it a good rinse, on to StarSan or One Step for sanitizing before brewing away...

If you haven't found it, it's in the laundry detergent area. There's a similar product called Sun Oxygen cleaner. Mostly the same thing but costs less. Some Dollar stores have LA Totally Awesome. It's only a dollar, but it doesn't dissolve as well and it's more expensive on a per unit basis.

Thanks guys, I used it last night for the first time to clean out some Mr. Beer kegs. It did foam a bit more than I expected, next time I'll just use half of what I put in. Later today I'll dump and rinse them out before storing away for my next brewday.

I'll just throw this in, because I've seen people get confused on the forum before: Oxy Clean Free is for cleaning the keg. It is not for sanitation. You still want to use a sanitizer right before you put your wort in the fermenters.

:gulp:

+100 on the oxy free.

With a septic tank to worry about, I still dumped it out in the snow after soaking overnight, but what does get down the drain I worry less about than many other cleaners.

I blast the tank with warm (not hot) water and dump out as much of the remains as possible, then removed the spigot, toss it in the tank, and let it all soak overnight with lukewarm water and some Oxy Clean Free. This cleans and does not sanitize. If the tank sits for a while after being cleaned, I might toss a tiny but of oxy in before brewing, rinse out well, then sanitize with the one step sanitizer MB provides, or use something like StarSan.

Thanks, to all for the information on OxiClean, I have never used it. I'm still using dawn dish detergent. Oxiclean must have been developed for laundry because that's what the instructions and measurements pertain to, but Sams Club advertises it for 101 uses.

Last week I bought a 62 ounce container of OxiClean at Wal Marts, I will give it a try. I don't like the soaking for hours, or overnight, because I like to clean up quickly, put the equipment away, or reuse it real soon.

How and how much do you use for cleaning the MB bottles? Add a little to each bottle or make a gallon jug of it to mix in then pour into your bottles?

onekyds wrote:

Thanks, to all for the information on OxiClean, I have never used it. I'm still using dawn dish detergent. Oxiclean must have been developed for laundry because that's what the instructions and measurements pertain to, but Sams Club advertises it for 101 uses.

Last week I bought a 62 ounce container of OxiClean at Wal Marts, I will give it a try. I don't like the soaking for hours, or overnight, because I like to clean up quickly, put the equipment away, or reuse it real soon.

Did you get OxiClean or OxiClean FREE? I *think* the difference is the use of perfumes and chlorine in the regular version which is why it's recommended to get the FREE version.

I've only used the FREE type so I can't comment on the use of the 'regular' stuff - anybody use that?

fuzz wrote:

How and how much do you use for cleaning the MB bottles? Add a little to each bottle or make a gallon jug of it to mix in then pour into your bottles?

I use the kitchen sink. I plug it then sprinkle ½ scoop of Sun Oxygen Cleaner, then I fill with hot water using the sprayer to circulate water. Then I toss in bottles making sure the fill up and sink. Then let ‘em soak for an hour or so. Take of labels and rinse.

Does anybody go straight from bottling to brewing in the fermenter?

I'm bottling a batch tomorrow, and I plan to brew the next batch this weekend.
It's a ton of sanitizing, but couldn't I sanitize my bottles, bottle the batch, wash out the keg/let it soak with oxyclean while I box up the bottles for storage, rinse out the keg, load it with sanitizer, and then go straight into the next batch?

It'll take several hours, but then I'll be done. There's no reason to let the keg completely dry out between batches or anything, is there?
Presumably lots of you do this, I just thought I'd check.

I can save you some time and trouble.

If the yeast that used in batch #1 is something that you'd use in batch #2 (that you're getting ready to brew) simply pitch the wort onto the yeast cake after you bottle.

Unless you are going from a dark beer to a light beer or a specific yeast (like a hef) to something else, you can just re-use that without draining the keg, washing it, sanitizing it and pitching new yeast.

Kealia wrote:

If the yeast that used in batch #1 is something that you'd use in batch #2 (that you're getting ready to brew) simply pitch the wort onto the yeast cake after you bottle.

Unless you are going from a dark beer to a light beer or a specific yeast (like a hef) to something else, you can just re-use that without draining the keg, washing it, sanitizing it and pitching new yeast.

Seriously? I'm going from version No 5 of English Pub Ale to version No 6 of the Enlgish Pub Ale. Very similar recipes, just tweaks.

Granted, I didn't use any specialty yeast, just the packets under the general HME lids. Should I pitch on top of the trub and then add the additional yeast packet?

Kealia wrote:

WHAT? SERIOUSLY! Thats a great idea! Now I assume you still put 4 qts cold water in keg on top of trub, then add wort and top off with more cold water (same steps as usual) Then do you not re pitch new yeast??

I spose the flaw in this is if your 1st batch is contaminated then that carries forward.

No need to pitch new yeast as you're going to be using the yeast that's already in the trub cake. Just brew as normal, pitch on top and stir it up so you get the oxygen as per normal.

It's going to be cloudy as hell after stirring because you are kicking up all the trub but it will settle.

Just take all your normal sanitization steps and viola!

Kealia wrote:

onekyds wrote:

Did you get OxiClean or OxiClean FREE? I *think* the difference is the use of perfumes and chlorine in the regular version which is why it's recommended to get the FREE version.

I've only used the FREE type so I can't comment on the use of the 'regular' stuff - anybody use that?[/quo

I got the OxiClean Free

Kealia wrote:

No need to pitch new yeast as you're going to be using the yeast that's already in the trub cake. Just brew as normal, pitch on top and stir it up so you get the oxygen as per normal.

It's going to be cloudy as hell after stirring because you are kicking up all the trub but it will settle.

Just take all your normal sanitization steps and viola!

That is the best news I have heard all day!!

I assume the same "generation" limits apply here as those with harvesting yeast?

I would assume so as well since I believe whatever mutations that occur do so during fermentation.

I've not done this more than once in a row, though as I've been using different yeasts and washing them for future use.

A word of warning on pitching on the trub. It will take off and ferment VERY vigorously. I guess that was more than one word.

Try to get the temperature down below 65 ASAP to avoid a blowout. It may still overflow.

You can probably scoop out 1/2 to 2/3 of the trub and still have it rocket out of the starting gate.

If you use the whole thing, you probably don't need to aerate the wort, since the aeration is only needed so they can reproduce and you're pitching on enough yeast that they will be able to get started right away.

bpgreen wrote:

If you use the whole thing, you probably don't need to aerate the wort, since the aeration is only needed so they can reproduce and you're pitching on enough yeast that they will be able to get started right away.

Good point.

All of this is fantastic news except for the fact that the batch I'm going to bottle today tastes like ass. I mean, not literally, but it's the Victorian Bitter recipe and I don't know if I just don't like it very much or if a temp fluctuation gave me an off flavor, but I don't think I want any part of this batch replicating in my next batch.

However, I do have about 6 or 7 more variations of English Pub Ale lined up next, so I'll definitely use this process for those!