Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mike12820

Carb and Condition in a Growler

I've got my first batch in the keg, ready to bottle next Sat, 2/12. I have the PET bottles that came in my kit, but I've also got a 2l Growler similar to pic and some Grolsch bottles my local recycle center hands over for the mere redemption cost of 5c per bottle. Figured I'd fill the growler and put the rest in mix of glass and plastic bottles.

Any risk to carb/conditioning in the growler? Is it more likely to blow? My 1st batch is a simple Canadian brew. Will the timing be different due to different volumes? Figured as my patients wears, I'd start taste testing the bottles and as soon as it's good, invite some friends over and pop the growler.

I've got my second keg and a slew of UME's on the way to supplement the econo kits recieved for xmas! Addicted before I've even tasted the 1st batch...

Mike Growler.jpg

It's safe to treat the growler the same as any other bottle intended to hold carbonated beverages. No extra time, or special considerations needed. I have two of the same growler, and carb in them regularly. I'm planning on getting a couple of the growlers that MB sells; they have a good price on them, and they look really cool.

Exactly the answer I was looking for thanks!

It's funny, just spent 20mins looking for the pic of the Growler I actually have because I just saw it the other day, and it was right here on the MB site. Anyway, I agree that $28 is a good price for that Growler, without the handle they can be had at homebrewheaven for $16. Right down the road from me, Olde Saratoga Brewery sells that Growler for $27 filled, I'm partial to the fancy handle... at least for a few.

Mike

Used one of these beaststo bottle a portion of my first batch to give to the two guys who got me my MrBeer for Christmas. It definite is cool and as mentioned above, works just like any other bottle.

I've made 77 batches of Mr beer & only had 2 bottle bombs during the first week after racking. One was in a growler like Dalton showed.
The thicker glass growlers would be better, but those can leak from the large gasket.
Growlers are really made for transporting finished beer. Not bottle carbing & conditioning which is what we're doing.
Cheers & Keep Brewing
40487-20110203.jpg

Guest System Admin

How are they any different than a 16 oz swingtop? Or is there a difference between the big growler fliptops and the 16 oz ones? That Stone one I used had a small little gasket top not the big 2 inch one

I don't think they are any different, other than size. They're sold and advertised as being for bottling by quite a few retailers. That's what I use them for (both of mine have had at least a good half dozen beers carbed in them). As much as I enjoy Beerlabelman's posts, I think he just got a bad one. There are growlers made that are not intended for carbing though. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has had problems carbing with them.