Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
REAL

5-5-5 IPA

Just bottled this recipe I came up with after reading numerous clones and adapting based on that. Originally I was going for a Dog Fish Head 60 Minute IPA and branched off from there. I think this is the lightest color of beer I've made to date. Oh yea, the 5-5-5 stands for 5% - 50 IBU - 5 SRM. (which started as a 6%, 60IBU and well, I don't want to jinx it or conjour up anything unholy so I changed it) I was looking at my box of Winchester .22LR shells for those of you that shoot, when the name just hit me! :silly: Somehow the 5-50-5 just didn't seem right, suggestions are always welcome ;-)

I was very impressed at the taste when I made it, and even more so when I just bottled it. And aside from the lengthy boil time, this was incredibly easy to make.

5-5-5

Recipe: 5-5-5
Style: American IPA
Batch 2.40 gal Extract

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.054 OG
Estimated FG 1.013 FG
Recipe Bitterness 51 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 5.2%
Recipe Color 5° SRM
Alcohol by Weight 4.1%

3.30 lb Briess CBW Pilsen LIGHT LME
0.25 lb MrB. Booster

HOPS
0.25 oz Northern Brewer 2 minutes
0.25 oz Citra 7 minutes
0.25 oz Northern Brewer 7 minutes
0.25 oz Northern Brewer 15 minutes
0.25 oz Citra 15 minutes
0.25 oz Northern Brewer 20 minutes
0.50 oz Northern Brewer 45 minutes

California Ale yeast Yeast WLP001

Recipe Notes
Boil 70+ minutes to lessen chances of DMS due to light pilsen.

BATCH NOTES
Will Double check my log once I find it, a few of the hop additions may be skewed a tad bit.

How about naming it 'Triple Nickel' or 'Triple Wooden Nickel'? The northern brewer hops will have a distinctly woodsy kick.

What was your boil size? After 70 minutes of boil time I would have figured some darkening would have happened. Looks like a great recipe!
:stout:

I would suggest you start out with at least 2 gallons of water for your boil, maybe even 2 1/4 (if your brew-pot is big enough). Use only about 1/3 of the LME for the hop boil, then add the rest at the end. By the time you are done with the boil, you will still need to add some cold (refrigerated) water to the MB keg, due to evaporation. I prefer to cool my wort in an ice-bath prior to pouring into the MB keg, even when I'm adding cold water to the MB keg.

What is the Late Extract Addition brewing method?

Gentlemen, you are both spot-on, and I love the nickle idea too! Thanks! I definitely started with too little water and am keeping that as a lesson learned for next time. People say LME doesn't break, well, I beg to differ now after this experience. My main (dedicated) brew pot was busy with a BIAB Schwarzbier while I was doing this one... yes another lesson learned not to do 2 at once.

I started with little over a gallon total ingredients and wound up adding more water once I could keep the simmer at a reasonable level w/o boiling over (2 gllon pot). This pot has retired froom brewing now as it is too small for most of what I do and I could use it in the kitchen for other things. It certainly did darken up a lot too. After adding the water and the trub settling out it still looks relatively clear in the bottling wand, though not so much while sitting in my bottleing bucket. :blush: Either way thoughj, it tasted good SO FAR and I learned some good things from making this batch. Thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming.