Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
hellgate_brewing

IPA advice

So I'm looking to start up my third batch (few days left conditioning for my Irish Stout!) and as certified hophead, I want do an IPA that I can be proud of. I'm just a bit unsure about certain things such as boil times when it comes to adding hops (do I boil them with the UME or in water?) and also want to know what I could do to ensure a nice ABV and maybe enhance the flavor.

Here's what I'm working with:

1 Mr Beer fermenter
1 Cowboy Golden Lager HME
1 Mellow Amber UME
1 WCPA refill
Cascade, Willamette and Palisade hops

Should I use the under the cap Brewers Yeast or should I get something else?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated!

The Mr Beer yeast works fine, but I do prefer to get a specific strain of liquid yeast for my batches.

Damn & I wasn't even going to log in.
1/2 oz Palisades 40min
1/2 oz Cascades 20 min
1/2 oz Willamettes 10 min
Then Dry Hop 1/2 oz of all three after 7 days.
If you don't have DME boil in the UME & water
1/2 cup to a cup of clover honey would be OK to for a dryer finish.
Cheers & Enjoy - If you want a higher ABV just put whatever you want on the label we won't tell. :laugh: Lost_Dog_IPA_II-20110205.JPG

Thanks! I was thinking of adding honey for a little extra howdoyado. Now with these hop boil times, do I do them separately or all three at once?

And as for dry hopping after 7 days, that would be dropping them into the fermenter 7 days into the process?

Sorry if there's some newby questions that should have obvious answers, just wanna make sure I do right!

No sweat Hells Gate that's what we're here for.
All three hops have to go in separately:
Palisades 40 then after 20 minutes goes by toss in the Cascades-leave the palisades in. then when there's 10 minutes left throw in the Willies. after the bell rings remove from heat & discard all three hop bags unless you're going "naked".
Then add the honey
Then the HME
3/4 pack of the Danstar will be enough yeast
Start with a little more water than usual as you'll lose some during the boil.
After 7 days goes by, we will DH. Sanitize a scissor, hop sack & small plate
Add the hops to the sack, tie off & cut off excess & do everything on the sanitized plate. Bring the sack on the plate to the keg. Remove the top & toss in the sack - Quickly replace the top & you're good to go. Cheers Beer Brother :gulp:

Drop the 40 minute hop. Start your timer on the oven or whatever at 40 minutes. When the timer reaches 20 minutes, drop the 20 minute hop, etc.

Personally, I'd leave out the honey, but that's entirely up to you. You are fine on adjunct percentages with a cup of honey if you choose.

Yes, dry hopping would mean open the top, drop the hops, close the top. If you are using hop bags, make sure to soak it in sanitizer before adding the hops.

Agree with Beerlabelman. for a great IPA at a later date try:

2 cans ADIPA
1 lb light or amber DME
.25 oz Citra 40 min
.25 oz Centennial 30 min
.25 oz Citra 20 min
.25 oz Centennial 10 min

This one give an ABV of about 6.5%

You could dry hop with .25 oz of either of the above if you want more hop aroma

Cheers Doc - I wish I had your recipe 2 days ago. I just made 2 cans ADIPA & I couldn't decide what to do so I just used 1/2lb light DME
boiled Riwaka Hops 1/3 oz 25 min, 1/3 oz 15min, & I'll DH the last 1/3 after 7 days.
Used Munton's Gold Yeast for the first time.
1/2 cup of honey & 1/2 cup of Belgian Blond Candi sugar.
I'm doing your mix next time. :drinking:

So Right YD if these kids would just start with the simple guidelines we could close this borg - Ha Ha :laugh:

Thanks everyone, you guys are the best. I'm gonna start brewin this hoss up today and let it sit for a few months after bottling. I'm thinking a spring debut will be appropriate!

Hey HG, did you drink that ADipa brew yet? Really curious about how it turned out. :cheer:

Reagan.a wrote:

Hey HG, did you drink that ADipa brew yet? Really curious about how it turned out. :cheer:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: we have beer.

Thanks mate! I ve been following a few threads on this website, but didn't get around to making an account till now. I loved all of the advice from everyone here. Actually, I am getting my ingredients ready to try out docpd's ADipa recipe.