Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nolanar

Need Help: Rye Pale Ale

Now that my next brews are in their fermenters, my only options are worrying about how they're going or thinking up my next recipe. Forward ho!

I'm thinking of trying to make a rye pale ale, a la the one by Terrapin Brewery. My current plan is thus:

-1 can WCPA HME
-1 can Pale UME
-1/4 lb. Rye
-Safale S04 yeast

I'm not sure if that's an appropriate amount of Rye, though. The guides I've found say no more than 10% rye in a batch, and 1/4 lb would work out to about 10% of the total weight of fermentables, but I'm not sure if that's what they mean.

Regardless of the amount, the procedure seems to be to steep the rye for 30 min in water, and use that water to make the wort. Is that right?

Your rye malt selection needs to be mashed. Look right below HERE and that is a crystal rye. Already converted and ready for you to steep a 'tea'. Mashing is a bit more involved. Controlled water:grain ratio and temperatures...

The recipe is great and you will have great results with the S-04. A real jellyfish in the bottom of the keg. Bottling is much clearer.
:drinking:

Oh, and 1/4 pound of crystal malt is just fine....

Thanks! I didn't think of that one at first because it looks like it makes a darker beer, but if it would help me skip a step I don't understand, all the better. I'm guessing there's a difference between mashing and crushing? I should read my copy of How to Brew more closely, I suppose.

And I'm glad the yeast is a good pick. I have a half pack of it in my fridge left over from my brown ale, and I figure it'll only be in there two weeks before I start the rye batch.

I'm planning on using rye in my next batch too. From what I've read, 10%-20% is pretty common usage, with some homebrewers going as high as 50%. I understand that can present problems with mashing and sparging though, due to high beta glucan content. For your purposes, I think LowTech's suggestion of using the crystallized rye is a great idea. Let us know how it turns out.

I too am planning on using rye in my next batch.It's really an "experiment" and I am going to use 1 lb. of unmilled rye..Will keep you posted.SLAINTE !!