Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Header75

16Q Brewpot question?

I just got a Stainless Steal 16Q pot for a gift.....is it possible to put a spigot? Has anyone tried this? If you have.....a pic would be nice. Thanx in advance.

You can weld one in, if you have the technology. It's something you see in high end brewpots fairly regularly.

I saw a kit to do one (threaded end and nut) in the LHBS just the other day. I am assuming that the washers used are heat proof. Haven't wanted to drill a hole in my pot though.

First i must ask is the reason for spigot because of weight and pouring issues or keeping the residual turd out of your keg? I would not waste the time or effort. More than likely you will soon move onto a bigger pot, so just wait. Pouring everything into the ferm. keg is not a bad thing. Use half of a whirfloc tablet at the last 15 min of boil. More importantly, after 5 to 7 days please drain from one keg to a clean one. This is key for a great brew. You can dry hop or spice here if desired. Also prevents off flavors from primary yeast cake. Hope I helped.

dpip75 wrote:

First i must ask is the reason for spigot because of weight and pouring issues or keeping the residual turd out of your keg? I would not waste the time or effort. More than likely you will soon move onto a bigger pot, so just wait. Pouring everything into the ferm. keg is not a bad thing. Use half of a whirfloc tablet at the last 15 min of boil. More importantly, after 5 to 7 days please drain from one keg to a clean one. This is key for a great brew. You can dry hop or spice here if desired. Also prevents off flavors from primary yeast cake. Hope I helped.

Welcome back dpip75.

Thanx for all the info boys......very helpful. Maybe I will just buy a fancy huge pot in the future with a spigot and thermometer.

I just use a five gallon pot. I collect 3.5gal of wort and boil down to 2.5 gal. That is up to the Bottom of the word Quart on your Mr. Beer keg. I just pour until there is just sludge. I might get a keggle from my lhbs. If I bring him a keg shell he will have one made for me for only 25 dollars. I wouldn't worry about a thermometer on the pot. One can make great beer with a digital probe thermometer ($9.99). I mean just boil the beer right? Lol! Hoppy brewing Header75. By the way 75 is a good # I named one of my amber ales 1975, tribute to the year I was hurled onto this rock.

I was wondering what the volume was when you filled to the word "Quart."

For some reason, I thought it was 2.4, *shrug*

I start with 3.5 gallons. Boil down to 2.5 or close to it. I don't really stress it as long as it is close. I think the top of the Q is 2.5. That is how little the difference is. :)