Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blatzman

Raisins?

Hey guys,
I just tried a porter at my local brewpub that the description said had a hint of raisins in the finish. It was pretty good and I could taste a slight raisin finish.
Anyone have experience with throwing raisins onto the fermenter?

I imagine it would work (better than asparagus, anyway), but I wouldn't know when you'd add them.

When you pitch the yeast? After primary fermentation? During the end part of the boil?

I add orange juice and orange zest to my White Panama recipe, five minutes before flame-out, and it does lend orange flavor to the brew, so that's an option.

You don't get flavor from adding honey unless you add it after primary, but that's because honey has so much fermentable sugar in it, the yeast probably destroy the flavor when they attack it if it's added any earlier.

But raisins have plenty of non-fermentable components, so perhaps for fuller flavor, just before or just after flame-out. Being in the hot liquid might release some of the flavor right into the wort.

I'm just speculating here, and going off what I know of other flavorings I've used. Do you have someone you could ask at your LHBS?

If I had to guess, I would speculate that the raisin flavor came from a Belgian yeast. I know that mashed raisins are used as yeast nutrients in some cases, but it's been quite a while since I read that, so I can't cite the source without poring through a bunch of books.

I recently tried the Rochefort 8, which had very raisiny overtones. The yeast they use is available here as the White Labs WLP 540, and Wyeast 1762.

Dogfish Head Brewery does a beer called "Rasion D'etre" that utilizes raisins.

Googling for a clone results in people using variations of a raisin puree. Usually added to the boil with about 10 minutes to go. Makes sense, I wouldn't think just putting whole raisins in your fermenter would do much.

I'm still working on a 6-pack of Rasion D'etre. It's a great ale. Based on the ABV, I think it's in the style of a Scottish Ale. They use white raisins I believe.