Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Punkbrad

First Brew Sample - *pics*

Verdict: West Coast Pale Ale (comes with the kit) :-D

2 weeks ferment
2 weeks carb
2 hours cool

I gave one bottle a shot today (just had too try)

Results:

A little sour, but not sweet at all. Finished clean and a GREAT head upon pour. VERY happy with the carbination amount and quality.

Color is nice, not too crisp, but i think with 2 more weeks condition that will smooth out.

VERY happy with the kit and my first brew!! Thanks for the support from the Borg!

Great heady pour
1stbatchpour2weekscarb2.jpg

I bottled 24 oz bottles so my wife and i each got a glass...
1stbatchpour2weekscarb.jpg

Punkbrad wrote:

SO- should i COLD condition or continue the room temp condition...?

Room temp condition. After a 2-4 weeks conditioning at room temp then put in fridge for 3-7 days.

When you condition you are relying on the yeast to clean up your beer. You put it in the fridge and they go to sleep. Lagering is done significantly colder than room temp low 50s to mid 40s because you are using special lager yeast that works that cold. MB yeast needs to be in the mid to high 60s at least.

Edit: You guys are too quick.

Continue to Warm Condition. Cold conditioning will just put your yeast to sleep, leaving them at ferment temps will allow them to continue to do their work (until they die) and "clean up" your beer.

There's really no reason to put a beer that's using an ale yeast in the fridge until you plan on drinking it (That I can think of).

VTGroff wrote:

Continue to Warm Condition. Cold conditioning will just put your yeast to sleep, leaving them at ferment temps will allow them to continue to do their work (until they die) and "clean up" your beer.

There's really no reason to put a beer that's using an ale yeast in the fridge until you plan on drinking it (That I can think of).

That's what I always thought, too, but when I had some beer in the fridge before I left on a business trip, tasting the beer when I got back made me change my mind.

I still place more importance on the warm conditioning (I aim for 4 months at room temperature), but I've gone from 3 days in the fridge to a week or more. It definitely makes a difference. The trub is much more compact (less wasted) and there's also a better taste. It's hard to define (especially since I've been giving them a week for 6 months or so and kind of forget) but I would characterize it as a crisper/cleaner taste.

Agree-I would just "room" condition the beer a few more weeks and the put a couple of bottles into the fridge 3-7 days before you want to drink and you should notice a huge difference .

Looks very nice. Another couple of weeks at room temperature, and your mind will be blown by how much it's improved. That's one of the experiences just about every new brewer needs to go through to teach them the lesson of patience. We've all been there.

Congratulations! You made beer! :cheers:

Very nice. I would have killed to have that kind of carbonation on my first bottle that I popped open this weekend. Oh well, I have 7 more to go to see if they get any better carb'd

thanks guys - i will keep my 24oz babies right where they are at then....

yeah, i read all the posts about "patience" and i knew i would have to wait, but i just HAD to try one; i mean c'mon. :)

so if people followed the directions "in as little as 14 days" they are drinking schwag beer and will likely get the impression that Mr Beer (or home brew) is no good... im glad i found the Borg!

so they will sit for 3 more weeks, then a few day sin the fridge and then down the hatch!

fermenting right now is my honey-lemon lager and in the mail are 2 kits of witty monk, so more pix to come.... !!

thanks guys! Punkbrad.

Fuzzyman81 wrote:

Very nice. I would have killed to have that kind of carbonation on my first bottle that I popped open this weekend. Oh well, I have 7 more to go to see if they get any better carb'd

Thanks for the compliment Fuzz!

i have VERY bad OCD so i followed all the instructinos to an exact "T". i used a funnel and accurately measured my sugar into the bottles. not sure if going 24 oz helped or not, but man, they looked FLAT in the bottles, and when i cracked it and poured, it was awesome!!

PB