Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jsterba

Yeast for Pilothouse

So I got a gift card for Target as was surprised to see Pilothouse Pilsner on their web site for a few buck cheaper than Mr. Beer. I ordered that along with a few other things I wanted to get free shipping and got it delivered today. Unfortunately, there weren't any yeast packets under either of the lids of HME. What would be a good yeast that I could try from my LHBS for this that is comparable in fermentation temp to the Mr. Beer yeast? I can pretty much maintain 69-72 degrees where I have my keg if that helps.

truckndad wrote:

I would suggest US-05. Right temp range and won't mess up the flavor profile of the Pilothouse.

I agree. That or Danstar Nottingham.

If you can brew below 65F, you'll still have an ale, but it will be closer in taste to a lager than if you brew at a warmer temp. The US-05 is good down to 59F and Nottingham is good down to 57 (54 if you pitch enough of it). The cooler you go, the closer to lager taste you'll get (but it will take a bit longer to ferment).

I don't know that I can get much colder than 69 right now as I don't have a place to put it other than a closet. During my last brew I put a damp towel around it every day and was able to maintain the temperature fairly well. If I can find the room for it (and I will eventually) I will get a cooler to put the keg in and use frozen water bottles to cool it down a bit. I see a lot of people have done that successfully.

The Saflafer s-23yeast that came with the Spring Maibock states that it is 'Genuine bottom fermenting commercial yeast for lager and pilsner production'. The 11.5g package can dose 20-30 liters at room tempurature. Twice that (2 packages) is recommended for 51-59 degree fermentation.

So...if I am using the 8.5 liter MB fermenters, can I slpit the 11.5g package and pitch both the Maibock and Pilothouse with the lager yeast?

Would the Pilothouse be better off with the ale yeast included with the HME?

Would the Maibock be better off with the whole package of Saflager?

Thanks for the help.

Canoeguy wrote:

The Saflafer s-23yeast that came with the Spring Maibock states that it is 'Genuine bottom fermenting commercial yeast for lager and pilsner production'. The 11.5g package can dose 20-30 liters at room tempurature. Twice that (2 packages) is recommended for 51-59 degree fermentation.

So...if I am using the 8.5 liter MB fermenters, can I slpit the 11.5g package and pitch both the Maibock and Pilothouse with the lager yeast?

yes

Would the Pilothouse be better off with the ale yeast included with the HME?

If you're going for a true lager taste, yes.

Would the Maibock be better off with the whole package of Saflager?

yes.

Got a Pilsner fermenting at 50 right now with S-23,
I Used 7 grams, hope it wasn't overkill...
Excited to see the difference in the last 'Pils' i made (*Ale yeast, S-05) and my new one with the lager yeast.