Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Returning brewer (MB Noob)

Guest System Admin

When I was much younger I helped my uncles brew the family holliday brew, 25+ years later I desided I wanted to start brewing again and got a Mr. Beer kit for X-mas.

Made my first brew WCPA standard, which has been carbonation for 2 weeks, now waiting 2 more conditioning before fridge for a week.

Any ways yesterday staterd my second batch (Brew Ha Ha Bock) made two mistakes:

1. I over-filled the keg slightly (fill level between 8.5 and the Quarts markings on keg side)

2. The brew temp in keg was around 80* when I bloomed the yeast (was rushing and forgot to look at temp before adding yeast)

Question is do you think that would effect the taste too much?

Also the recipe says ferment 14days, a buddy said I should go 3 weeks to make it even better, what do you thing?

Thanks in advance.

1. Overfilling is fine. Your beer will be slightly weaker than intended, but likely not enough to notice.

2. I did the exact same thing earlier this week. As long as you got it cooled down after, I think you're fine. 80 is not so bad (though 70 is preferred). What temps are you at now? I try to hit 66-68 personally.

3. If you don't have a hydrometer, I'd lean 3 weeks, especially if I was fermenting at 66-68.

Welcome...

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is quite Futile: we have Beer.
Looks like swenocha has covered it nicely.

Guest System Admin

The spot I ferment at is normally around 70*, but looking at it right now says it is 73*

since says temp range is 68-76* I figured that temp was fine. house feels warmer today, but sunday brunch and using oven might of made pantry warmer (were beer keg is)

Is that the room temp, or the temp of the fermenter? I generally find that the fermenter is anywhere from 3-6 degrees warmer than the room temp...

Example from a recent ferment:

Ambient temp:
5366140076_2b01c9870a_z.jpg

fermenter temp:
5365527039_cda101c7ea_z.jpg

Guest System Admin

The room temp is 68* the temp on the thermo on the keg says 72* but my digital laser gun (used to calibrate wall thermastats) I know the gun is right and says 1* higher on outside of keg

As Swenocha mentioned, you shouldn't have any issues because of the yeast as long as you got the temperature down before it started actively fermenting, but if you aerated at that temperature, you may have a limited shelf life. The temperature that is generally considered safe for aeration, where you will no longer generate staling compounds, is 76* F. Will you have stale beer if left for a long time after bottling? Can't say for sure, but the likelihood is greater.

Guest System Admin

oly wrote:

As Swenocha mentioned, you shouldn't have any issues because of the yeast as long as you got the temperature down before it started actively fermenting, but if you aerated at that temperature, you may have a limited shelf life. The temperature that is generally considered safe for aeration, where you will no longer generate staling compounds, is 76* F. Will you have stale beer if left for a long time after bottling? Can't say for sure, but the likelihood is greater.

Bummer.....

The I looked at the temp afetr I agitated it, that's when my Homer simpson "DUH!!!" cry came out

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've made mistakes like that and haven't had any problems, but the beer was gone within four months, so who knows how long it would have lasted?