Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
powers1334

24OZ Monster can experiment

here in southern california we are no longer allowed to drink beer on the beach. i understand the desire to keep a bunch of crazy people from getting all hammered and acting like asses in front of little kids. but it really sux for a guy who just wants to enjoy a brew at the beach while the kids are burying him in sand, so i decided to run an experiment for summertime. I brewed a rasberry wheat and put 22 ounces in a monster resealable can...so far it is carbonating great...if this works, one of these cans of "monster" will accompany me to the beach. :hammer:

swenocha wrote:

357676b.jpg

Is this a carbonated drink? If not then your in for a messy surprise! Also the CO2 might leak out of the cap!

I wondered the same but just noticed it says Lo Carb on the can...maybe cuz it leaks co2? Or is that Carbohydrate?? :blush:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

I wondered the same but just noticed it says Lo Carb on the can...maybe cuz it leaks co2? Or is that Carbohydrate?? :blush:

It's carbohydrate.

yeah, its a carbonated drink...i have opened them before and practically had the top fly out of my hand. the can is holding the co2 so far, no sign of leaking. we will see in another few weeks. it has been in the can since tuesday...tight to the squeeze.

I would think they would work fine. The biggest issue I see is getting rid of the smell of Monster, Rockstar, or whatever other energy drink can you use. Please update the results. Very interested to hear how it works.

i just used cold water and oxyclean like i did with my bottles. i didnt even think to take a sniff. we shall see.

I used to have the exact same problem while hanging out with friends who would 4-wheel at Pismo Beach...

I ended up carying a capper and some spare caps,
Worked just fine, cops cant complain about a half full sealed beer,
it's not open...

In Texas, it only requires that "contents partially removed" to be considered an open container.

im just countin on the fact that i got my kids and my wife and i am not acting like a clown...that the officers on the beach will just ignore me and my "monster" beverage.

Guest System Admin

the alcohol prohibition on SD beaches sucks. That is a good way to get around it. And as long as you're inconspicuous, you should be fine, but be aware that the cops that patrol the beach have a sensor they dip in people's drinks to detect alcohol. I think it applies more to the people carrying around solos, or those acting like fools, but I'm not sure how thorough they actually are, Monster may be conspicuous enough.

i think it's a good idea. plus i drink the crap out of the big blue monsters. maybe i'll save a can or two. but i see getting the smell and taste out of it might be kinda hard. keep us informed

I'm doing the same thing with the 12oz versions (must be a crazy California thing) and can attest to the pressure that are initially under.

I've also pressure tested to see if it will hold pressure during a second use and it was promising

Can conditioning now

Deathfire.png

EricG mentioned previously on a thread about aging a beer for 21 years to seal the top with paraffin wax. That would ensure a seal until it's time to drink!

Scott, are thsoe cans wax sealed? They look like they are in the photo.

StarRaptor wrote:

I'm doing the same thing with the 12oz versions (must be a crazy California thing) and can attest to the pressure that are initially under.

I've also pressure tested to see if it will hold pressure during a second use and it was promising

Can conditioning now

Deathfire.png

Star - how have these canned beers turned out?

i actually had no problem with carbonation...all i did was tape the lid shut...two pieces criss crossed...worked fine. trouble is, i didnt clean out the monster can well enough, and i had an aftertaste. I tried it with a rasberry wheat beer...drank it...but its better without the monster flavor. probably try again if i get the can cleaner.

powers1334 wrote:

i actually had no problem with carbonation...all i did was tape the lid shut...two pieces criss crossed...worked fine. trouble is, i didnt clean out the monster can well enough, and i had an aftertaste. I tried it with a rasberry wheat beer...drank it...but its better without the monster flavor. probably try again if i get the can cleaner.

do you recall if you used cold water or oxyclean?

no on the oxy clean...really just used cold water and perfume free soap...gonna try the oxyclean next time.

powers1334 wrote:

no on the oxy clean...really just used cold water and perfume free soap...gonna try the oxyclean next time.

Try soaking it in Oxiclean for a day, then pour the trub from a couple of bottles of beer in it, add a teaspoon or two of sugar and lightly cap it (but leave it so CO2 can escape if necessary) and let it sit for a week. It's not all that different from what you did carbonating it, but I've done that with root beer bottles and it seems to help get rid of the smell.