Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
truckndad

Eric G....the new spigots?

The tubing I get that LHBS is 3/8 ID and 1/2 OD. He said you can attach the wand using a bit of tubing which is what I do now with my 5 gallon bottling bucket. I use about 3 inches of 3/8 ID hose and it fits over the spigot and the bottling wand fits inside the other end.

3/8" ID will slide comfortably over the spigot and the wand. 1/4" will be more snug, but much harder to remove. If you want to make sure it is totally secure, I'd recommend 3/8" ID + a couple of hose clamps.

Is this using the locking spigots?

I have the the std spigot on mine. Just picked up a 5 gal set-up, including a bottling bucket and a bottle filler package that includes the 3/8 ID tubing. I can't get the tubing over the Std MrB spigot (not even close). I was hoping to use the tube to run from the MB spigot into my bottling bucket to batch prime.

There's no point in putting tubing around the standard spigot (because it sucks air like the dickens).

Truckndad is referring to the spigots mentioned in this thread, not the locking spigots we currently sell. If you have the current locking spigot, you should be able to just jam the want into the spigot directly.

I just transferred beer from keg to keg this weekend and my primary has the standard spigot but had no isues when I put 1/2in ID tubing over the spigot. Maybe I got luck but the fit was TIGHT.

I have the locking spigots and I cut a 2 inch length off one of my bottling wands and pushed it inside the locking spigot to act as a connector. I then pushed a length of flexible 3/8 tubing over the end of the 2 inch length sticking out of the spigot and use it for racking.

Any idea when we might be getting those spigots? Mine has not arrived yet.

That is up to the USPS now. They are all in the mail.

Got mine today too. Looking forward to using it. It feels way more durable than the locking spigot. I'm always afraid I'm going to break that thing.

ericg wrote:

Any idea when we might be getting those spigots? Mine has not arrived yet.

That is up to the USPS now. They are all in the mail.

I really enjoy testing the new products. I just hope my feedback is sufficient! :woohoo:

Received mine yesterday. I like the design. Brewing a batch this weekend and will put it to use. My first two initial questions right away were, it doesn't look like this thing comes apart - how well will it clean? Also, only one rubber washer? We'll see how it works. I'm looking forward to using it!

I got mine yesterday and immediately tested it out, (guess I'll have to go buy the 3/8 tubing) I'm now doing my second batch HCCD and tweaked the recipe by adding 2 Tbsp of honey

Mine came Thursday, unfortunately one day after I brewed a batch, so it will be a while until I can try it. I will need to empty my fermentor then brew another batch and bottle with the new spigot. I will provide feedback as soon as I can though.

WretchedRon wrote:

Received mine yesterday. I like the design. Brewing a batch this weekend and will put it to use. My first two initial questions right away were, it doesn't look like this thing comes apart - how well will it clean? Also, only one rubber washer? We'll see how it works. I'm looking forward to using it!

I was kinda perplexed by the one washer too. I wasnt sure if it went on the inside or outside, so I put it on the inside and filled it with water. It leaked. So I put the washer on the outside, it was fine. So Im guessing the washer needs to go on the outside of the keg. :P

crazybrody wrote:

WretchedRon wrote:

I was kinda perplexed by the one washer too. I wasnt sure if it went on the inside or outside, so I put it on the inside and filled it with water. It leaked. So I put the washer on the outside, it was fine. So Im guessing the washer needs to go on the outside of the keg. :P

FWIW: I have only been using one washer, even with the new locking spigot, and I have had no issues with leaking on any of my 5 MB kegs.

I already like the test spigot. I have been having problems with my bottling wand falling out of the locking spigots (two of them now). With the test spigot, I see myself connecting some hose from it, to the wand. I think its going to work out great.

With my limited dexterity, I found it very difficult to hold a bottle with one hand and turn spigot on/off with out the keg sliding around. Too much tension required to turn IMHO. Using a bottling wand will be required going forward

Mine came in Thursday and I put it to quick use. Attatched it to the empty keg on Friday and used that to batch prime. No tubing or wand, just the spigot. Brewing the Maibock on Tuesday and will have the spigot on the keg for the whole process. Will have to get some tubing for it before I bottle that batch.

WretchedRon wrote:

Works great with the 3/8" ID tubing. Going to cut this piece shorter. Photo385.jpg

Yep, just how I envisioned it. SWEET!

That's what I had in mind. BTW, that is one amazingly clear beer you've got in that keg!! :laugh: :laugh:

The new spigots are perfect in my opinion. One inch of tubing added to the bottling wand is all that is needed. No more holding down on the lever to let the beer flow. And its even labeled on and off for morons like me that would leave it open and spill beer everywhere. I would buy 2 more of those spigots right now. Seems pretty high quality also.

Though I anticipate liking this spigot, I want to point out that you don't have to hold down the lever on the locking spigots either... Just flip 'em up and they lock into the 'on' position. Hence the name "locking" spigot... ;)

I have my spigot now Eric and it's in use.
It's stiff. No argument there, but it might loosen up/smooth out with more use. Tubing fit is good. Seal to tank excellent - easy to install. Not sure I like the idea of a 'work-around' to make it adaptable to the bottling wand. The current locking spigots I have seem to work well with the wand as is, when I do bottle from the fermenter. This is a great spigot for racking/transfer and other uses and maybe should be marketed as such, as opposed to a 'one size fits all usage' spigot.

cavalrymsh wrote:

It's stiff. No argument there, but it might loosen up/smooth out with more use. Tubing fit is good. Seal to tank excellent - easy to install. Not sure I like the idea of a 'work-around' to make it adaptable to the bottling wand. The current locking spigots I have seem to work well with the wand as is, when I do bottle from the fermenter. This is a great spigot for racking/transfer and other uses and maybe should be marketed as such, as opposed to a 'one size fits all usage' spigot.

If Mr. Beer is going to be selling these spigots, maybe they should toss in an inch or two piece of tubing with the spigot or with the bottling wand.

+1 Zobl, I could really use the tubing right about now, guess I'll have to go to the LHBS and take some of their hazing again

Zobl wrote:

cavalrymsh wrote:

If Mr. Beer is going to be selling these spigots, maybe they should toss in an inch or two piece of tubing with the spigot or with the bottling wand.

My suggestion as well. I prefer this spigot. I hope they start selling them.

Got a batch in the keg with the new spigot. I Like it. Normally bottle from batch priming bucket, after cold crash in slim line, using an auto siphon and bottling wand. But will bottle using spigot this time. For science of course.

Looks good, need to order the bottling wand now. The tree in or so of tubing would be great just a little flrx while bottling.

Like everyone has been saying, with an inch of tubing this would be great. I don't have as much experience as most other people here but I really like it compared to the original one that came with the kit

Any coincidence with these and Mr beer being out of regualr locking spiguots? Had them in my brew club order that ships tomorrow .... had to add more hops and yeast to hit my $30 so that I get $5 shipping and my free kit...

First impression... I don't like that it spurts when turned to the 'off' position. When turning off from full 'on,' mine stops having a stream about halfway (handle facing straight out), and then as I keep moving around to 'off,' it spurts as it hit full 'off.' At least mine does. Not a big deal in most cases, I suppose, but it did catch me somewhat off-guard today. Luckily I noticed it when running sanitizer through it, though I did end up dropping a smidge on the hydrometer check. Not a big deal, but worth noting... Anyone else experience this?

Were there different spigots? Mine is clearly marked 'on' when handle is to the left, and 'off' when it is to the right. It just spurts a bit when it hits full right, but then shuts off.

But, then again, I forgot that yours does look different...

021811MBspigot.jpg

swenocha wrote:

First impression... I don't like that it spurts when turned to the 'off' position. When turning off from full 'on,' mine stops having a stream about halfway (handle facing straight out), and then as I keep moving around to 'off,' it spurts as it hit full 'off.' At least mine does. Not a big deal in most cases, I suppose, but it did catch me somewhat off-guard today. Luckily I noticed it when running sanitizer through it, though I did end up dropping a smidge on the hydrometer check. Not a big deal, but worth noting... Anyone else experience this?

Sounds a bit like what my spigot for my 5 gallon bottling bucket does.

yankeedag wrote:

Not really sure.. had some dude's name from accounting labled on the other side of it...

What you talking 'bout Willis? Your Mr.Beer guinea pig spigot or one you already had?

swenocha wrote:

I don't know. I didn't test it a lot before putting it on and starting a batch. I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

yankeedag wrote:

mine is open left & right. closed center.

Mine is all the way to the right and is off. I'm not moving it until bottling day, so I can't answer for any other positions.

bpgreen wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

mine is open left & right. closed center.

Mine is all the way to the right and is off. I'm not moving it until bottling day, so I can't answer for any other positions.

+1...mine is marked like this as well. I didn't notice any issues when I tested/sanitized prior to filling with wort. Also, I've inadvertently banged it a couple times inside the ice chest and haven't seen a drop escape.

Just to chime in. All the spigots are the same. With the handle pointing to the left, the spigot should say "On" and your keg should be draining. With the handle to the left, the spigot should be off, and it should dribble to clear all the liquid from the inner workings.

I appreciate all this feedback. Our online survey should be up and running soon, and we'll email links to all of you and post the link here (just in case I wind up in everyone's inbox again).

swenocha wrote:

I noticed this. Like you said not a big deal but I'm glad I noticed it before filling my hydro tube it may have overflowed.

swenocha wrote:

I noticed this. Like you said not a big deal but I'm glad I noticed it before filling my hydro tube it may have overflowed.

swenocha wrote:

Mine spurts a little also as it's turned off. I look at it as a little more beer, just when I thought I was out. :)

Guest System Admin

Would love to reply about this, I was one of the first to reply to the offer, and pm'd my info, but, I have yet to get it. Must have got lost in the mail. sigh.... :huh:

ericg wrote:

Just to chime in. All the spigots are the same. With the handle pointing to the left, the spigot should say "On" and your keg should be draining. With the handle to the left, the spigot should be off, and it should dribble to clear all the liquid from the inner workings.

I appreciate all this feedback. Our online survey should be up and running soon, and we'll email links to all of you and post the link here (just in case I wind up in everyone's inbox again).

Glad to know this is normal... Thx for the clarification. It causes me no issue now that I know it does it, but it just caught me off guard at first...

[img size=small]i2o7pt.jpg
[img size=small]141jyqc.jpg

Here is The new Spigot installed. Also, this is my humble setup, not in pics is my other keg (soaking in oxy). I'll have to wait about 3 weeks to officially use it but I like the way it works when I tested it.

FrozenInTime wrote:

Would love to reply about this, I was one of the first to reply to the offer, and pm'd my info, but, I have yet to get it. Must have got lost in the mail. sigh.... :huh:

You were spose to email eric...maybe thats why unless thats what ya meant.

swenocha wrote:

Stevo0083 wrote:

i2o7pt.jpg

Girl Scout beer! Sweet! They only sell cookies around here...

lol yeah they make good boxes

I can tell you live in a different part of the country... Those are known as Samoas, Do-si-dos and Trefoils around these parts. The wife was the cookie mom for two years (until our daughter got in middle school and was too cool for scouts).

ericg wrote:

I'm confused, but I'm sure I'll figure it out easy enough when I attach it to the keg. By the looks of it, it is very similar to the spigot on my bottling bucket.

packerduf wrote:

ericg wrote:

I'm confused, but I'm sure I'll figure it out easy enough when I attach it to the keg. By the looks of it, it is very similar to the spigot on my bottling bucket.

I think the second left should be a right, but I may not be right. I could be left with the right solution by reading my the lefts as right and the rights as lefts. But I could be left confused and wondering if I came to the right conclusion about the lefts and the rights. Then again, three rights make a left, so maybe he's saying to run it right three times for off. Maybe it's time I left to get the right beer for this occasion before I get left even more confused than I already am about whether I did this the right way.

That clear it right up?
:huh:

ericg wrote:

I think you fatfingered something. You say that if the handle is to the left, it should be on, but if it's to the left it should be off. Shouldn't that be that if it's to the right it should be off (you said left both times).

I'm not sure why yankeedag's is on when it's to the right. That doesn't seem right (it seems either wrong or left).

I'm standing firmly in the middle of this fence...I don't want to fall and I cant remember why I'm up here...

swenocha wrote:

packerduf wrote:

ericg wrote:

I think the second left should be a right, but I may not be right. I could be left with the right solution by reading my the lefts as right and the rights as lefts. But I could be left confused and wondering if I came to the right conclusion about the lefts and the rights. Then again, three rights make a left, so maybe he's saying to run it right three times for off. Maybe it's time I left to get the right beer for this occasion before I get left even more confused than I already am about whether I did this the right way.

That clear it right up?

That boy just ain't right! :dry:

swenocha wrote:

Stevo0083 wrote:

i2o7pt.jpg

...and does the light shut off when you close the door?

Zobl wrote:

swenocha wrote:

Stevo0083 wrote:

i2o7pt.jpg

...and does the light shut off when you close the door?

Yeah, there is no light in the closet, Dag is right, thats why I have a flash light...

Sorry, I meant that if you're looking at the front of the keg and the handle is pointing to the left, it should say off. And if you turn around and the handle is pointing to your left, it should say off. I mean on.

Sorry, let me be more clear:

If you're looking at the back of the keg and the handle points right it should be on, but if you turn the keg upside down and the handle points to the right it should be off.

Again, I apologize for being unclear in my earlier post!

:)

Or you could just look at the spigot. If the handle says off, no liquid will flow from it, but if any other word appears in the handle then you're probably dribbling beer on the floor.

Yes, dribbling beer would be a good indicator...unless your mentally challenged like I am.. then I just grab a glass...

That's probably the best policy, Dag. I just realized, if you followed my previous instructions, you'd have dribbling out the top when you turn it over-- even though the spigot was off. I just can't win here, so I'm throwing in the towel. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner.

:hammer:

I thought I was supposed to use "off" when I was having an off day and "on" when things were going well. So every day, I'd set it according to how I was doing.

Fortunately, it's been one of those weeks, so I didn't lose any beer.

ericg wrote:

That's probably the best policy, Dag. I just realized, if you followed my previous instructions, you'd have dribbling out the top when you turn it over-- even though the spigot was off. I just can't win here, so I'm throwing in the towel. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner.

Don't let him fool y'all.. the corner is where he has his Keg'nator.
grandcanyontrip465.jpg

These spigots are the same as I have for my bottling bucket. If there is back pressure in the bottling wand or hose when they are shut all the way, they will spurt out the vent hole. All you need to do to prevent this is drain or remove the bottling wand and or hose before it goes all the way right. Otherwise only shut it halfway. In my mind, they are the ideal spigot. I will definitely use the MB fermenter more now that I have this installed.

ericg wrote:

Oh CRAP!
Eric threw the hammer on us!

Every man to his corner! When the bell sounds, come out swiggin'!

Bump - So if you're right handed, and you turn the spigot to the left, is it on or off? And furthermore, do you inhale or exhale during your back swing?

yankeedag wrote -

it depends...is your fly in the front or back...?

Well if I'm wearing Depends, I guess it doesn't matter where my fly is....

The new fad is when you wear Depends, you use plastic button ups.. no zippers... they rust.

Look out!
Wretched Ron and yankeedag are volleygagging!
:banana: