Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
APell99

Growing Hops?

Out of curiosity, has anyone been growing their own hops on this forum? or know where to buy the seeds/plants?

paste this in your browser to see the "pre order" rhizomes available ...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hallertau-hop-rhizome.html

hallertau-hop-rhizome.png

this is a Rhizome...basis for beginning a hops planting...

I found out after investigation that hops grow from a similar process to potatoes...I have been a gardener for a long time and see that they grow on trellises like cucumbers...but much larger...am planning on doing this myself this May...semi shady area...at least part of the day is OK...

hops1-1.jpg

seem easy enough...it would appear that 1 or two hills would produce a lot of hops...especially for a home brewer... I found the Halterbrau ( in link)...could share a lot w/ buds!

hops2-1.jpg

I will post more on this topic if I start growing these...should be a lot of fun... 1/2 oz pack is a very small harvest from the hill...and why not ...I always try something new every year...hops would for sure be a first for me...and make HB sense!

good luck...t

wow thanks silvertip8k for the awesome info! any hops you recommend over others to grow??

silvertip8k - I like that trellis much more than the idea of plants growing up to my roof.... Where's you find that - I'd like to see if there's a closer look.... Thanks....

growing them seems simple enough, but how do you handle them upon harvesting them. is there a resting period like for tobacco, or is it good to use fresh hops? also, how do you know how much to use in comparison to pellet hops?

Anyone know if they can be grown Indoor Hydro?
I'd love to try growing them,
would be nice to do it year round...

Tinybuffalo wrote:

Anyone know if they can be grown Indoor Hydro?
I'd love to try growing them,
would be nice to do it year round...

I've never grown them, but from pictures I've seen, they take up a lot of room. I suppose it would be theoretically possible to grow tehm indoors, but you'd need a BIG room.

actually I cant think of anything cooler than drinking a special HB under the canopy of trellised hops... :)

I am trying the halterbrau and saaz...to tell the truth these are the only variety's I have any experience with anyway...and I like them both in my trappist attempts...

drying I would think is air and slowly...?? still researching...
hops2.jpg
also on the hydro...folks do that because they dont want the neighbors to know what they are doing??? B) LOL...besides I think these plants take off like beanstalks...they need some room to do their thing...a 100-120 day growing season is minimal...the part of Germany that grows lots of them is very similar in climate to Penn.,MD,Va.,500-1500 feet above sea level...well drained soil...manure for fertilizer etc...

now this is all I have found so far...will keep this thread alive when more comes along...
hops1-1.jpg

all the best...t

I have a neighbor who likes to garden and was asking about growing hops for me...Im going to forward him the links...thanks

dalton wrote:

I have a neighbor who likes to garden and was asking about growing hops for me...Im going to forward him the links...thanks

nice keep us posted!