Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LostBavarianMan

First Glass no porn

Recommended Posts

Sorry guys no porn.
However After 18 days I can say I have beer. Not the best I have ever had not the worst. But not bad for my first attempt. It is the Mr.B American Blond Ale with the added 1 lb of Breiss DME. Nice aroma nice body but very little head.
But a nice summer beer. for sure. Im sure a little more time in the fermenter and a little longer conditioning and it is going to be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a question I havent seen answered yet so I need to ask it.
If you leave the beer in the fermenter longer will the beer get clearer?
My beer is good however it is cloudy not as see thru as I would like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a while you can impart off flavors from the yeast cake...
(I'v heard 3-4 weeks)

Have you tried Irish Moss?? It helps beers clear nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cold conditioning usualy helps clear a little bit too.

Also have heard great things for whirlfloc tablets, have not tried them yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tinybuffalo wrote:

Cold conditioning usualy helps clear a little bit too.

Also have heard great things for whirlfloc tablets, have not tried them yet...

You mean cold crashing, right? Setting the keg in the fridge for a couple days before bottling helps settle down the "stuff" in the keg for bottling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LostBavarianMan wrote:

Sorry guys no porn.
However After 18 days I can say I have beer. Not the best I have ever had not the worst. But not bad for my first attempt. It is the Mr.B American Blond Ale with the added 1 lb of Breiss DME. Nice aroma nice body but very little head.
But a nice summer beer. for sure. Im sure a little more time in the fermenter and a little longer conditioning and it is going to be better.

LostBavarianMan the easiest way to give your extract beer more head is to use steeping grains. Grains add the proteins needed for a nice thick head.

As for clarifying the fermenting beer try moving it to a clean and sanitized 'secondary' fermenter after 21 days and letting the secondary fermenter sit in the refrigerator for 14 days before bottling. You'll be amazed at how little trub makes it into your bottles and how clear it comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys for all responses.
I really need to get a second fridge the wife would have a fit for me to take up that much room in the fridge we have now.
I am looking for a Dorm room fridge now. Because I not only want it for my Mrb keg but also for the 6.5 gal fermenter I have now.
Plus I want to make some lagers also. Ok so wirloc tabs or irish moss in boil longer time in first fermenter transfer to secondary fermenter and cold condition before bottle. Is that correct? But I have to admit my first beer wasent half bad. Hell even the wifey said it was good. But it did turn out to be a pretty big beer I am guessing upwards of 7-8%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to ask, what do you mean when you say "after 18 days?"

Do you mean "After 18 days of conditioning after two weeks of fermenting and two weeks of carbonating," or do you mean "After 18 days from when I brewed it."

Because if it's the latter, I can see one of your problems right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

I am getting impatient myself.

Brewed on January 15, Bottled on the January 30.

I am planning on taking one bottle and cold cure Saturday (February 19) and taste one and see if ready on February 26.

Need to get my camera ready for first pour picture :)

Waiting is hardest part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be in keg for 14+ days..
2 weeks conditioning after that @ room tempature.
2-4 weeks minimum bottle conditioning.

What did you add to get that high of abv?

Go to the new brewers fourm and read the sticky at the top called 'simple guidelines'
HERE

Welcome to home brewing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotcha. The reason you are dissatisfied with your brew is because you rushed it :)

Patience is key, and starting with 2-2-2 will get you to a place where you will be much happier with your beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VT im not dissatisfied with my beer actually it is very good beer the only thing I am dissatisfied with is the clarity. But I knew I was rushing things from beginning to end. I have another batch in ferment now. It is going to sit for 3 weeks. Come hell or high water.

YD yes I do enjoy drinking wort LMFAO.
Tiny I added 1 lb of Breiss DME to the wort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LostBavarianMan wrote:

Thanks guys for all responses.
I really need to get a second fridge the wife would have a fit for me to take up that much room in the fridge we have now.
I am looking for a Dorm room fridge now. Because I not only want it for my Mrb keg but also for the 6.5 gal fermenter I have now.
Plus I want to make some lagers also. Ok so wirloc tabs or irish moss in boil longer time in first fermenter transfer to secondary fermenter and cold condition before bottle. Is that correct? But I have to admit my first beer wasent half bad. Hell even the wifey said it was good. But it did turn out to be a pretty big beer I am guessing upwards of 7-8%.

I think you're overestimating the ABV. I think it's more likely in the 5.5-6% range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

LostBavarianMan wrote:

Thanks guys for all responses.
I really need to get a second fridge the wife would have a fit for me to take up that much room in the fridge we have now.
I am looking for a Dorm room fridge now. Because I not only want it for my Mrb keg but also for the 6.5 gal fermenter I have now.
Plus I want to make some lagers also. Ok so wirloc tabs or irish moss in boil longer time in first fermenter transfer to secondary fermenter and cold condition before bottle. Is that correct? But I have to admit my first beer wasent half bad. Hell even the wifey said it was good. But it did turn out to be a pretty big beer I am guessing upwards of 7-8%.

I think you're overestimating the ABV. I think it's more likely in the 5.5-6% range.

I get 4% with one can of HME/1# DME
2 cans of HME/1#DME 5.8-6.0%

My calculation abilitys 3 bottles down... Just got off work!
:)Beer2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...