Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
greg_herr

Big Ed's Red Bottled in 12oz Glass Bottles Burstin

Hello - I brewed the Big Ed's Red MrBeer recipe on 12/30/10 and bottled 16 days later all in 12 oz brown glass bottles. I have them in six pack holders and packed back in a case box and stored in a dark closet of the house where the temp is very constant and right around 67 degrees. This brew is supposed to lager for 6 months, but after three weeks I opened the box to find one of the bottle had exploded. Not thinking much of it I cleaned everything up put the good ones in a new box and tucked back away. Well its been two weeks since than and I check on 'em again this morning to find three more exploded bottles. I used the MrBeer sugar measure scoop when I bottled so I don't think I messed that up. Also I've got three other cases lagering in the same spot without this problem, so far (two weeks). They are the Winter Seasonal, Junk Yard Dog IPA and Defibrillator Doppelbock. Is there anything I can do to prevent more 'blow ups' and any ideas what might have caused it? I put one bottle of the brew in the frig and was gonna give it a taste to see if maybe I'm better off drinking it than letting the carpet enjoy it. Appreciate any input.

Maybe you bottled too soon. Maybe the fermenting process wasn't done yet. I let my brews ferment for 3 weeks. Get a hydrometer. Sorry about the mess.

I'd vote for overcarbed or underfermented (or maybe both). What was your hydrometer reading at bottling? Do you know how much sugar you used per bottle?

I find the Mr. B recommendations a bit high, and if that was combined with a beer that wasn't fully fermented, maybe that would lead to this. Otherwise, you could have gotten some bum bottles. It's possible that if one blows, it could take out the ones around it.

At this point, I think I'd fridge 'em as you've stated. If they are good to the taste, I'd get them into the fridge to slow down the yeasties, and put them in general circulation...

I let this one ferment for three weeks per the MB instructions. I've only recently invested in the hydrometer so it was not involved in this batch. I used 3/4 tsp with the MrBeer scoop to prime. I think the bottles are good... Scrubbed up from a case of beer from Tommyknocker brewery in Colorado... and the blow ups were not all next to each other but in different spots with the bottles next to them ok. When just one blew I thought it was the bottle b/c it was 'split' right down the seam of the glass very clean. This recipe was supposed to lager for six months... until 7/23. Will I get the same benefits in the frig if I let them sit that long? Any hope that since they've been in the bottle for a whole month that even if I'm dealing with overcarb, underfermented or both that its now past the problem?

Really appreciate the input!

OK - I've put the 'lucky ones' in the frig and we'll hope for the best. When I look at sample bottles the brew appears to be very clear with a good amount of sediment on the bottom... So I might try one in a few days and see what's up. Realize I erred in my original post by saying I bottled after 16 days. It was actually after 23 days... a little more than 3 weeks. Appreciate the quick feedback. I've got 3 other cases conditioning and just brewed 3 more kegs yesterday. Including a 5 gal recipe split between two kegs that included soaking grains and boiling for nearly 2 hours... Having a blast brewing! Just need to prevent anymore 'blow ups' so I can have a blast drinking!

You might try less priming sugar next time. I have found that several of my batches seemed overcarbed with the MR B recommended sugar amounts. Try just a bit over 1/2 tsp next time for a 12 oz bottle. I have yet to have a bottle bomb yet though, so maybe you just had a few weak bottles.