Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
chadmaz

About to brew. White Labs yeast question.

Hey guys,

I'm about to brew a Mr. Beer sized batch and this is the first time I'll be using a White Labs liquid yeast (WLP041).

It states that the whole vial should be used for a 5 gallon batch. Should I pitch just half of the vial, or would it be ok to pitch the whole thing?

Do you recommend a starter first? My recipe OG is 1.060. I would prefer to brew today on my day off, but I'd wait until tomorrow if it was worth it.

Thanks,
Chad

Yesterday I brewed a clone from Austin Home Brew... Its a 5 gal recipe and as an option when ordering it recommended doubling the liquid yeast. It was a White Labs California Ale yeast. I thought this was great b/c as I was going to split the wort between 2 MrBeer kegs I would not need to try to split the yeast. I took the yeast out of the frig about 3.5 hours before pitching. Shook the heck out of it in the vial and pitched it with the keg temp @ 78 degrees. Woke this morning and took a look at the two kegs and everything is nice and foamy! I'd drop the whole vial.

I too would and do use the whole vial/smack pack for a mr beer sized batch.

Whatever you decide, keep your temps above 65* if you want good attenuation. Brewing with that yeast in the low sixties gave me an attenuation of 66% on one beer and 65% on the next. I haven't tried the beers yet, so I can't say that that's necessarily a bad thing. One of my best beers was a very low attenuator.