Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CyberBob

Cloudy beer

Greetings. I'm currently drinking my 1st batch I've ever made, American Devil IPA. 2 weeks in the fermentor, 3 weeks room conditioning and in the fridge now for a couple more weeks. I'm using the 1 liter PET bottles. When I pour the 1st pint from the PET bottle it's nice and clear. The 2nd pint is cloudy. Is this normal? It tastes fine. Will it clear up more the longer it sits in the fridge? Any opinions from the Borg would be appreciated!

You are probably getting some trub from the bottom stirred up when you pour. It is harmless, even beneficial.

Pour slow and gentle and you will avoid most of this.

In Germany it is tradition to swirl the stuff up and drink it in the last gulp.

What some suggest is that you could pour the entire bottle into a beer pitcher (leaving the trub behind). Then when you pour your second glass, you would be as clear as the first glass...

swenocha wrote:

What some suggest is that you could pour the entire bottle into a beer pitcher (leaving the trub behind). Then when you pour your second glass, you would be as clear as the first glass...

BUT by the third glass you won't be as clear...er see as clear as the second :)

does it taste good???...now thats the question...I had a few batches cloudy after even a month cond time...some witbiers are like that, not so informed on others...but there are folks here that are...t

Guest System Admin

A wheat beer/hefewiessen should be cloudy, and others shouldn't (most ales, IPA like your last one, and lagers, etc)... but it doesnt usually effect anything. Still tastes good, etc. You must have a bit of trub in your bottles. If it is sitting on the bottom and you don't want to drink it, pour gently into a glass and drink from there. The sediment in the bottom of the bottle can stay there.