Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ChuckO

Better head retention HELP

I have brewed 2 batches now. Both were good, but both lacked foam, especially after the initial pour. These 2 batches came with the kit and were 1 can of extract and a pouch of booster. My question is 2 parts I guess. 1) Will an all malt brew have more foam and retain that head longer? 2) What else can I do or what SHOULD I do to get a nice thick white head on my beer? :blink:

It is my understanding that steeping a grain like Carapils will add body and head retention without affecting color or taste to much. I just steeped some grain with the last batch I brewed so I can't say from personal experience, but there are several posts on the board that indicate that that helps.

Does it matter what kind of beer was brewed?? I brewed the Bewitched Red Ale that came with my kit, and after about 5 weeks carbing/conditioning and about 1 week in the fridge had about a 1 to 2 inch head. Stayed almost till the glass was empty too. Bottle primed with sugar as directed in the instructions that came with the kit.

You mean like this?
8c3f09c8.jpg

This was just the straight up ADIPA, nothing added. Head retention all the way to the bottom. :cheer:

Truckin, Yankee, just hasn't been my experience that malt > booster for foam. I've had some nice foam with standard refills. Steeping grains helps. Also wheat malt gives nice foam.

Ikaika wrote:

You mean like this?
8c3f09c8.jpg

This was just the straight up ADIPA, nothing added. Head retention all the way to the bottom. :cheer:

MMMMM that looks tasty!